jojo_gee

America...your bread sucks.

240 posts in this topic

Hahaha, great topic. I would have sworn it was started by a German when I read the title.

I agree completely, American bread sucks. I tried to make a good wheat bread myself, but couldn't find the right flour. Why are there not any good breads available in grocery stores? Someone could make a fortune by selling it.

Thanks for the recipe-link, Booby, I'll have to try that!

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

America...your bread sucks.

:lol:

So true. When we were living in Florida, like krikit, I bought a breadmaker - I couldn't hack not having any bread at all - which is where I was at, I could not stand the store bought stuff - but I hear you, it doesn't seem like too much to ask to be able to buy a decent loaf of bread with your groceries.

It's funny, I was just thinking today (as we are out of bread) that I should make some with my breadmaker that is gathering dust - but we live in Canada now - land of the free, home of the bread (and cheese) makers - so I won't.

Good luck to you finding some bread :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1 million % agree. When I first visited it was thanksgiving and they had the little dinner rolls that i love... in AUSTRALIA.. the US version I took one bite and gave it to my husband (then boyfriend). *shudder*. I haven't found anything good yet and will probably invest in a bread maker to make it the aussie way. I haven't had straight bread since September. I love just a plain cheese sandwich but I can't stand the bread if it's not toasted. I miss vegemite on plain white bread too... mmm

Yeah, you reminded me I need to look into breadmakers :D so thanks :D and good luck finding good bread!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

There are some really good bakeries here. Honestly, I rarely venture in the middle of the market (aside from flour/sugar/pure syrups/untainted canned tomatoes and coffee, when I'm out of what I bring back from Brazil) - everything has HFCS in it. Trader Joe's, Wild Oats, Whole WalletFoods aren't as bad and tend to at least use real sugar ... but still :(

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

There is no good bakery around here and I miss Japanese thick sliced and soft white bread too...

To Japanese, I don't understand American "Peanuts butter and jelly sandwich (with that American bad bread)" for kids' lunch...

I wanna know if other country have this sandwich?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Easily one of the things I’ll miss the most about England, a beautiful fresh from the bakery still warm un-cut (and un-sugary) white loaf.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

This topic’s making me hungry, but its such a true story America your bread does indeed suck :yes:

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Please stop buying bread from a grocery store. Please? Purty Please?

I challenge you, instead, to find a bakery shop that makes exactly what you want, then in future , solely patronize that shop when you are out, buying bread.

Please?

I feel yer pain, I miss pandan bread much, but I found a bakery shop with a crazy chef, talked her into making it, now they make 10 loaves/week (1 for me, 9 for the convertees ) .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline
I remember overhearing a woman in the dairy aisle complain about the taste of milk and tell a friend that there was only one brand of milk she found that tasted good. When they left I went over and looked at the milk - and read the label. The milk contained high fructose corn syrup! Milk! I have also noticed that some brands of cream and half and half also contain HFCS. Tomato soup contains HFCS! It's disgusting - everything tastes sweet and the real taste of the food gets hidden by the sweetness.

Ugh. After you mentioned that another time I checked the ingredients on the milk and cream. HFCS!!!!! :bonk: I buy organic now. And the tomato soup! :dead: I make my own now. It's a lot better anyway. lol

If anyone wants a couple of good bread recipes I can pass some along.

I wouldn't mind! Thank you. :)

Thanks for the recipe-link, Booby, I'll have to try that!

I looked for a recipe link by Booby and couldn't find one. :lol:

To Japanese, I don't understand American "Peanuts butter and jelly sandwich (with that American bad bread)" for kids' lunch...

I wanna know if other country have this sandwich?

They have it in Canada. But I think it was started by the Americans. I hadn't heard of it until I moved to Canada from England.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
pandan+bread_7.jpg

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I've only been here a year and a half.. I gave up on good bread within a few months and started making my own. I am a Pastry chef though so making a few loaves of bread at home doesn't bother me. Even the little bakery I work at puts so much salt and sugar in the bread it's ridiculous and just plain unnecessary! I'm trying to convert my husband now, he's slowly learning to appreciate bread without all that nonsense in it, and realising how sweet the American bread is!

If anyone wants a couple of good bread recipes I can pass some along.

Yes, please pass them along! We can make this the bread recipe thread. :dance:

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

That's why we are all so easily fattened here! They put ####### in everything here. Why? It should be illegal... the sh*t they do to our food.

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

That's why we are all so easily fattened here! They put ####### in everything here. Why? It should be illegal... the sh*t they do to our food.

:o Maybe aliens are behind it, and they are fattening us up to eat us!

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Timeline

:lol:

I'm sorry. That struck me as really funny. lol.

Actually, I was horrified to see the way my inlaws eat. They both have diabetes and think they're eating healthy. I've been trying to educate them and try them on new things, but they don't get it. It's getting through to my SIL, though. She has diabetes and is now paying attention to the labels. I think I got to my husband in time. He doesn't have it. Yet.

:o Maybe aliens are behind it, and they are fattening us up to eat us!

OMG. That's even funnier! I was laughing at Erika's post originally. :lol:

Quick! If we return to our own countries we should be safe from the aliens!

iagree.gif

Sugar + Yeast = fluffy bread....

(or so I'm told)

(I prefer beer in my bread :) )

HFCS makes for longer shelf life that's why it's added to pretty much everything here...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.