jojo_gee

America...your bread sucks.

240 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
amen to that! my husband thinks I'm a nutter for saying this.

That said, I hardly eat it any longer. I have recently found some wheat flat bread in sammich size that isn't too bad.

I also find the flour is different. My recipes that always worked out at home don't come out quite right, including my banana bread, oatmeal cookies and other stuff.

I had the same problem with the flour here, I did some research and found out that the US doesn't regulate how much protein the flour has unlike Canada where it is regulated. The brands of flour differ its protein content too. So I called home had my mom and friends tell me the protein content of the flour. And guess what, it was allot higher in the All Purpose flour in Canada then the bread flour used in the US. Yup that's why in Canada you can make a nice loaf of bread with regular old flour and get great results, but not in the US it just plain old sucks.

So I tested out a few brands of flour and types of flour in the US and this is what I do. Gold Medal Bread flour is the closest thing I found here in Arkansas that has a protein content of 4g per 30g cup of flour that's almost as good as Canada all purpose flour. I use the the bread flour for everything I make. I just think of it as the cheap no name flour you could get back home and it works great I can make pie crust cookies and everything I made back in Canada with out much difference.

As for American bread sucking i think its the flour and the HFCS that they use. We went out last night to stock up on bread supplies to make our own too. Well we have been but now we going to make rye and whole wheat.

We also don't like the hot dogs or the Sausage they have here. We can't seem to find good Italian sausage as of yet and I'm tempted to make our own.

So Kim try bread flour for your baking make sure its at least 4g of protein for a 30g serving just use it for everything you will be allot more happy.

Danielle

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Why America, why? Your bread tastes like cake and lasts a ridiculously long time in my cupboard without going green. Lots of my food time is spent dreaming of white bread cheese sandwiches or white bread bacon butties with butter and HP sauce. Warburtons blue packet usually. I spend wasteful dollars on all these different kinds hoping one will taste normal. I don't fall for your 12/8/6 grain, wholewheat, bran nonsense anymore because I know they all taste of sugar and ruin my toast and sandwich experience. The list of ingredients are enough to send the health board into a spin.

It's not normal and it hurts.

JoJo - a bread lover from the UK.

"white bread bacon butties" hmm...can't say that sounds too appetizing to me...even with butter and HP sauce (whatever that is). But, I married a Filipina...maybe that's why? :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
"white bread bacon butties" hmm...can't say that sounds too appetizing to me...even with butter and HP sauce (whatever that is). But, I married a Filipina...maybe that's why? :unsure:

My husband is from the philippines too and they do love their meat but he totally loves english bacon but even more so english sausages.

K1
12.1.09 interview - APPROVED!!!
12.21.09 wedding

AOS
12.22.09 Application sent overnight
6.22.10 Green Card approved

ROC

Oct 2012

Naturalization

04.02.13 Application received

04.20.13 Biometrics

Ohhh Im so glad I found this!!!! American bread is awful. We have spent $8 on a loaf and $1 and they both just taste as sweet and awful as each other. Russ just doesnt understand what I mean. I'm so happy to have found everyone thinking the same.... Think I'm going to invest in a bread maker soon. Or better yet, add one to our wedding list! :blush: The only halfdecent bread I ever had was a sandwich from Friendly's... think it was sour dough? That was nice... but its like $12 from Whole Foods! Lol. Ohh and I think I will miss english sausages and back bacon too (ahhhh)

Edited by RUSSandRACHEL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I had the same problem with the flour here, I did some research and found out that the US doesn't regulate how much protein the flour has unlike Canada where it is regulated. The brands of flour differ its protein content too. So I called home had my mom and friends tell me the protein content of the flour. And guess what, it was allot higher in the All Purpose flour in Canada then the bread flour used in the US. Yup that's why in Canada you can make a nice loaf of bread with regular old flour and get great results, but not in the US it just plain old sucks.

So I tested out a few brands of flour and types of flour in the US and this is what I do. Gold Medal Bread flour is the closest thing I found here in Arkansas that has a protein content of 4g per 30g cup of flour that's almost as good as Canada all purpose flour. I use the the bread flour for everything I make. I just think of it as the cheap no name flour you could get back home and it works great I can make pie crust cookies and everything I made back in Canada with out much difference.

As for American bread sucking i think its the flour and the HFCS that they use. We went out last night to stock up on bread supplies to make our own too. Well we have been but now we going to make rye and whole wheat.

We also don't like the hot dogs or the Sausage they have here. We can't seem to find good Italian sausage as of yet and I'm tempted to make our own.

So Kim try bread flour for your baking make sure its at least 4g of protein for a 30g serving just use it for everything you will be allot more happy.

Danielle

The US also uses a lot of what is referred to as 'soft' wheat in its flours. Canada uses more 'hard' wheat. Hard wheat is superior for baking, especially bread. Bread flour in the US incorporates more 'hard' flour than All Purpose flour which is a mixture of soft and hard wheats so that is why it is closer to Canadian flour. Soft flour is more commonly used in making cakes so that gives you an idea of the difference. Hard wheat has higher protein and gluten which allows bread to be more elastic and to hold its shape better. All purpose flour is a mixture of hard and soft wheats but tend to include more soft wheat in the US than in Canada so All Purpose Flour tends to work better in Canada for bread.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/63/Wheat-Flour

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I too had a problem with the sugary bread and I swear I spent a small bloody fortune trying to find something I could put my jam on in the morning. The only thing I could find after 4 years of searching is Italian sour dough bread its good, makes good chip butties and is good with a fry up on a sunday morning.

Hope this helps you some

Donna

Almost done with it all

Why America, why? Your bread tastes like cake and lasts a ridiculously long time in my cupboard without going green. Lots of my food time is spent dreaming of white bread cheese sandwiches or white bread bacon butties with butter and HP sauce. Warburtons blue packet usually. I spend wasteful dollars on all these different kinds hoping one will taste normal. I don't fall for your 12/8/6 grain, wholewheat, bran nonsense anymore because I know they all taste of sugar and ruin my toast and sandwich experience. The list of ingredients are enough to send the health board into a spin.

It's not normal and it hurts.

JoJo - a bread lover from the UK.

My hubby says the same about it being like cake! I dont get it. When we have bread over there I'm not blown away and the wholemeal is like sawdust! I am trying to find one that wont make him gag. lol

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
ezekiel_sprouted_grain_bread1.jpg

the only bread i eat

it is soooooooooo good and good for ya

check it out

I wanna try this bread so went to www.foodforlife.com and tried store finder.

I entered my zip code (I live in South Jersey) and this message appeared... :(

Food For Life Baking Co. products are not sold in retail store locations within 100 miles near you at this time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I wanna try this bread so went to www.foodforlife.com and tried store finder.

I entered my zip code (I live in South Jersey) and this message appeared... :(

Food For Life Baking Co. products are not sold in retail store locations within 100 miles near you at this time.

well that sucks!

you have any health food stores close to you that you could call?

OMG, I laughed so hard when I read this. As everyone thought I was crazy when I said the same thing. The bread tastes like sugar, its small, and just not worth making a sandwich with.

I went back to the UK, and ate bread twice a day lol. I put on like a stone in weight thanks to Kingsmill and Warburtons.

I miss the bread so much.

The closest I have found to "bread" is when I have gone to a bakery, or sometimes the Mexican bakerys do good rolls.

They are fresh, and like Marks and Spencers. They only last a day so you know they are not full of MSG, and it is the only bread that comes close.

Its pretty sad but something as essential as bread, is not on my grocery list.

I dont even eat any bread on a weekly basis now.

I feel you pain

Samantha And Julian Rodriguez

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.