jojo_gee

America...your bread sucks.

240 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And a hot cup of yorkshire tea.

I can get Yorkshire Gold teabags. Sooooo yummy. Damn, I really want some soft white bread.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Hmm - can't make your own?

I do - so does Umit...

Here is a good receipe for those who do not have a bread machine (which I do not have) - Bread without a machine

whatcha complaining about? :jest:

Thanks Bobby, I just baked the bread according to your recipe..it smells soooo good but i'm waiting for hubby to get home before we try it. :thumbs:

K1
12.1.09 interview - APPROVED!!!
12.21.09 wedding

AOS
12.22.09 Application sent overnight
6.22.10 Green Card approved

ROC

Oct 2012

Naturalization

04.02.13 Application received

04.20.13 Biometrics

• 2 weeks later...

I lost this thread! It's taken me a while to find it again..

Anyway, here's a recipe for a "Farmhouse" white loaf, crusty on the outside, nice and soft and moist inside.

1.5lb Bread Flour

1oz Butter

1tsp Salt

1 Sachet Dried Yeast (0.5oz)

12oz Warm Water

Oven Temperature 450F/230C

2lb Loaf Tin, oiled

Rub together the flour and butter. Stir in the salt.

Once the salt is thoroughly mixed in add the yeast.

Slowly add the water and form a dough.

Knead until smooth.

Place in an oiled bowl covered with cling film or a damp towel until it has doubled in size.

On a floured surface gently knock back and shape into the loaf tin.

Cover with oiled cling film or a damp towel and leave to proof until about 1 inch above the tin.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Where the recipe calls for warm water 80-90F/27-32C is ideal. Any hotter and you run the risk of killing the yeast. Yeast will die at 132F/55C. Cooler and it will take too long to activate.

Do not let the yeast and salt touch. Salt kills the yeast when they come into contact.

Proofing is best in warm humid conditions. Letting it sit in the bathroom (covered of course) while you have a hot shower works surprisingly well! Letting it sit on the side in a cool kitchen will work, it’ll just take longer.

To test if bread is baked turn it out and knock on the bottom, if it sounds hollow it is done.

Alternatively probe it, an internal temperature of 200F/94C is done.

Haha omg you are so right!

My timeline:

11-20-2008: AOS (I-485 & I-130) Package sent.

11-24-2008: Package received at 1.36pm and signed by JCHYBA.

12-04-2008: AOS Check was cashed!

12-05-2008: I-130 Money Order was cashed!

12-08-2008: Received my 3 NOA's and letter for biometrics

12-19-2008: Received RFE and another letter for biometrics

12-22-2008: Sent response to RFE back

12-26-2008: Biometrics appointment! -canceled due to holidays-

01-02-2009: Response to RFE received and case is resumed

01-13-2009: Second biometrics appointment - DONE YAY!

01-26-2009: APPROVAL of EAD!!!!!! YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-04-2009: Received EAD card in mail and applied for SSN - Picked up SSN day after!

02-06-2009: Passed written test, got driver's permit!

02-10-2009: Received my SSC

03-20-2009: Interview! - RFE

04-14-2009: Brought the requested document to the immigration office.

05-02-2009: Received our 3rd RFE.

05-11-2009: Brought the requested document to the immigration office.

05-27-2009: Received green card YAY Thank you God

04-04-2011: Sent in I-751 Removal of conditions

07-08-2011: Approved!

07-14-2011: Received Permanent Resident Card! WHOOOOO HOOOO we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you GOD!

The bread in the states is downright disgusting and how I crave for Warburtons again :(

Also what is up with the Bacon? It's just not right certainly not enough to fill you up as part of sandwich or fry up. Oh pork sausages, STILL not found any decent sausages. Oh and the selection of chocolate is non existent, there is peanut butter in everything.

Edited by JimandChristy

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Make your own sausages. They'll taste better, and be better for you.

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How I've LOVED reading the messages in this thread! ...

I'm Canadian, and I totally agree about the bread in the U.S. I agree about the sweetness and preservatives issues, and I agree about how unsubstantial a sandwich can be when made with that #######. Just never filled me up. Whenever I visited Tim I had the hardest time finding a bread I liked. And like some of you, I wasted alot of money on bread I couldn't eat. Toast seemed to "collapse" under the weight of butter or honey. :lol:

I used to make my own bread years ago...by hand, not with a machine...and I could add all kinds of grains, molasses, seeds etc to my heart's content. Then when I started working I didn't have the time to bake as often, so I found a supermarket multigrain that was edible.

So I guess when I move south I'll have to start making bread again. I'll have lots of time before I'm legal to work, so I'll be able to introduce Tim to GOOD homemade "good for you" bread. I've already converted him from white to whole wheat, but even the so called whole wheat there almost gags me. Then when I DO start working, we'll have to invest in a bread machine, because I refuse to go back to storebought bread.

I have to thank Ontarkie for clueing us in about the flour in the States. During several visits with Tim, I baked things that ALWAYS used to turn out great (including bread), using inferior flour, and almost cried over the results! :crying: Here I was trying to impress him with my baked goodies, and he was probably wondering if I was only bragging to make myself look good. :P And I told him it must have been the flour, because these were perfected recipes I'd used for years. So now I'll have to go with the Gold Medal flour, or check out the proteine content of what they make at the flour mill in a nearby town. ;)

I lost this thread! It's taken me a while to find it again..

Anyway, here's a recipe for a "Farmhouse" white loaf, crusty on the outside, nice and soft and moist inside.

1.5lb Bread Flour

1oz Butter

1tsp Salt

1 Sachet Dried Yeast (0.5oz)

12oz Warm Water

Oven Temperature 450F/230C

2lb Loaf Tin, oiled

Rub together the flour and butter. Stir in the salt.

Once the salt is thoroughly mixed in add the yeast.

Slowly add the water and form a dough.

Knead until smooth.

Place in an oiled bowl covered with cling film or a damp towel until it has doubled in size.

On a floured surface gently knock back and shape into the loaf tin.

Cover with oiled cling film or a damp towel and leave to proof until about 1 inch above the tin.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.

Where the recipe calls for warm water 80-90F/27-32C is ideal. Any hotter and you run the risk of killing the yeast. Yeast will die at 132F/55C. Cooler and it will take too long to activate.

Do not let the yeast and salt touch. Salt kills the yeast when they come into contact.

Proofing is best in warm humid conditions. Letting it sit in the bathroom (covered of course) while you have a hot shower works surprisingly well! Letting it sit on the side in a cool kitchen will work, it’ll just take longer.

To test if bread is baked turn it out and knock on the bottom, if it sounds hollow it is done.

Alternatively probe it, an internal temperature of 200F/94C is done.

Thank you SO much, Sweets85 .. much appreciated. :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

call me crazy but the bread here basically tastes the same as it did in Canada...

that being said the only good bread is fresh homemade bread....

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Why America, why? Your bread tastes like cake and lasts a ridiculously long time in my cupboard without going green. Lots of my food time is spent dreaming of white bread cheese sandwiches or white bread bacon butties with butter and HP sauce. Warburtons blue packet usually. I spend wasteful dollars on all these different kinds hoping one will taste normal. I don't fall for your 12/8/6 grain, wholewheat, bran nonsense anymore because I know they all taste of sugar and ruin my toast and sandwich experience. The list of ingredients are enough to send the health board into a spin.

It's not normal and it hurts.

JoJo - a bread lover from the UK.

Many a Millionaire has been made in this "land of opportunity" called the US.

Many people have put their minds to work and invented "a better mousetrap."

Maybe instead of complaining here about the terrible bread in US, you could become rich by making the delicious bread you and many others are seeking. Now there is a million dollar idea dropped into your lap free of charge. What will you do with it?

:whistle:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Many a Millionaire has been made in this "land of opportunity" called the US.

Many people have put their minds to work and invented "a better mousetrap."

Maybe instead of complaining here about the terrible bread in US, you could become rich by making the delicious bread you and many others are seeking. Now there is a million dollar idea dropped into your lap free of charge. What will you do with it?

:whistle:

Well, that is my plan :whistle: eventually that is.. I just got my diploma is baking and patisserie, and am now working my way up through the ranks of the kitchen until I feel I know enough to start my own bakery, with fresh bread and pastries and sweets and desserts!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.