jojo_gee

America...your bread sucks.

240 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I feel your pain.

The closest bread I've found to normal is the Arnold's Natural Breads but they have since stopped selling it in my area. :angry:

Whole Foods and Fresh Market have normal breads in the bakery section. Also check out any British pubs in your area. The one close to me sells real British bread, among other things, on the side.

I also like making my own now.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed! Bread here is ####### and most have high fructose corn syrup in them.

I am gluten free now so I have started buying gluten free breads from Whole Foods.

Hmm - can't make your own?

I do - so does Umit...

Here is a good receipe for those who do not have a bread machine (which I do not have) - Bread without a machine

whatcha complaining about? :jest:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Yes, I could make my own but it still wouldn't be the same and they are half the size. When I go to Safeway or Whole Pay Check, I want to buy a loaf along with all my other groceries. Anyway, it's pointless. I just don't understand how America gets away with pumping their bread full of #######. Makes you more aware about what might be going on with the rest of it. There are some frozen pizza's that taste sugary too. Just odd.

I have to agree.

The bread here is terrible.

I don't get why they have to put HFCS in everything here, it just destroys the taste of stuff.

I need to get a bread maker.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Sugar + Yeast = fluffy bread....

(or so I'm told)

(I prefer beer in my bread :))

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

You could always find a local baker that makes all kinds of loaves. There are many kinds to choose from.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yeah, the bread in the stores here generally sucks though I did see some ciabatta the other day which looked good. Bread in restaurants is usually really tasty. Unfortunately I am on a low carb diet right now so no bread for me. If I weren't I might consider baking but I am a little bit worried about the yeast. I'm used to fresh yeast and I'm not sure how easy that is to find here.

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Definitely odd. No idea why they like it so sugary here. I found a great German bakery close by with lovely bread. Unfortunately, they also make the most fabulous pastries I've ever eaten. Darn them!
:rofl:

:rofl:

I totally agree. The bread is so sugary because they add so many additives to it to make it last as long as possible in the cupboard. If I want good bread I will make it myself which is time consuming, but so worth it :)

I also have an issue with the stuff they call cream in cakes. lol. I want a good fresh cream eclair. lol.

31 Dec 2007 - Started talking online

01 Mar 2008 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 10 days

17 Apr 2008 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 4 days

30 May 2008 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 18 days

5 Day vacation in San Antonio, Texas together

14 Jul 2008 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 10 days

13 Aug 2008 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 50 days

5 Day vacation in Boston, MA together

29 Oct 2008 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 84 days

24 Dec 2008 DAMION PROPOSED

4 Day vacation in New York together

25 Feb 2009 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 88 days

25 Jun 2009 - Damion visited Cherilyn in the US for 90 days

03 Sep 2009 - I-129F mailed

08 Sep 2009 - NOA1

20 Oct 2009 - NOA2

23 Oct 2009 - NVC Received

27 Oct 2009 - US Embassy London received

28 Oct 2009 - Cherilyn visited Damion in the UK for 5 days

18 Nov 2009 - Packet 3 arrived

18 Nov 2009 - Medical booked for 8 December

19 Nov 2009 - Packet 3 sent back

20 Nov 2009 - Received my interview date and confirmation letter

08 Dec 2009 - MEDICAL

15 Dec 2009 - INTERVIEW AT EMBASSY!!!!!!! APPROVED :)

23 Dec 2009 - Flew home for good :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm with all of you on this. I would LOVE a good piece of black Russian bread! I used to have a bakery back home where I would buy home made bread as needed - oh it was wonderful.

I have found you can find somewhat decent bread by reading labels very carefully. The fewer the ingredients the better the bread - and definitely reject anything that has High Fructose Con Syrup! Anything that has sugar or honey high up on the ingredients list can also get put back on the shelf.

Look for artisan types of bread - they cost more (go figure, they have less ingredients but maybe they have to use more flour that way!) but they are a tasty slice. Costco bakeries make a nice artisan bread.

We generally make our own a lot. We invested in a bread machine so I can get other stuff done while going through the rise, punch down cyles and you can get some great breads if you are willing to experiment.

The addition of High Fructose Corn Syrup to so many foods that don't need it is one of the reasons so many Americans have problem with their weight. They are getting extra, hidden unnecessary calories. I remember overhearing a woman in the dairy aisle complain about the taste of milk and tell a friend that there was only one brand of milk she found that tasted good. When they left I went over and looked at the milk - and read the label. The milk contained high fructose corn syrup! Milk! I have also noticed that some brands of cream and half and half also contain HFCS. Tomato soup contains HFCS! It's disgusting - everything tastes sweet and the real taste of the food gets hidden by the sweetness.

And don't get me started on American cheese . . . (ok, that is another thread, hehehe!)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I've only been here a year and a half.. I gave up on good bread within a few months and started making my own. I am a Pastry chef though so making a few loaves of bread at home doesn't bother me. Even the little bakery I work at puts so much salt and sugar in the bread it's ridiculous and just plain unnecessary! I'm trying to convert my husband now, he's slowly learning to appreciate bread without all that nonsense in it, and realising how sweet the American bread is!

If anyone wants a couple of good bread recipes I can pass some along.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.