SapphireCynder

Immigrating my fiancee through ESTA route or K1 route?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Okay, so my fiancee and I have been looking into avenues to take in terms of getting him out here with me in the US. He is currently a UK citizen and visited me back in January through March on an ESTA. We are looking into him coming out here sometime in Novemeber to visit on an ESTA, but we are actively looking into avenues to take to get him out here for good. We are looking into getting him out here for 2 weeks, but if an AOS route is possible, we are gonna try another 3 month stay. I have read on message boards that it is possible to get married and apply for an AOS while he is here, but that it would be difficult to obtain. I understand that if he admits to eloping once he is here in the US and apply for an AOS to the border official that it could deny him entry into the US and the possibility for good, but we are desperate to have him here once and for all. He could get a letter from his current work as well possibly a reference letter from his current home expecting him back on XX day if that would help. Could I get some advice on this? How much would the AOS route cost as opposed to the K1 route? What forms would I have to file? Would I have to prove my income in the AOS route? If so, how much would I have to make living in Virginia as a single household? I currently live with my family and they are all for him moving in with us, would that count as household size or is it based on my taxes? Could I get a rough estimate of the costs for these? I have done brief research on this, but I am getting quite confused because every situation is different. I appreciate all the advice I can get on this, we are both fairly young and inexperieced in this subject.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you, Roel and Dee elle for your advice.

I did not intend to "trigger" anyone on this subject. I was merely asking just to obtain some information, as I have mentioned in my original post I am inexperienced in this subject. The last thing I want to do is to commit federal fraud or to put those obtaining citizenship through the K1 route in a longer que, let alone break any regulations on this site.

I will do some research into the K1 route as I have been over the past couple months.

My next question is, if he does enter on an ESTA for the 3 months, can we put the K1 visa aplication in while he is here?

14 minutes ago, SapphireCynder said:

Thank you, Roel and Dee elle for your advice.

I did not intend to "trigger" anyone on this subject. I was merely asking just to obtain some information, as I have mentioned in my original post I am inexperienced in this subject. The last thing I want to do is to commit federal fraud or to put those obtaining citizenship through the K1 route in a longer que, let alone break any regulations on this site.

I will do some research into the K1 route as I have been over the past couple months.

My next question is, if he does enter on an ESTA for the 3 months, can we put the K1 visa aplication in while he is here?

Citizenship is a ways off.  A k1 allows a foreign beneficiary  to enter the USA and marry their fiance. They may then stay and adjust their status to obtain permanent residency (a green card.)

Yes your fiance may be in the USA when you file the I-129F.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

~~moved to what visa do I need from US citizenship progress reports~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

VWP is 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

you can elope while he's here, and file a 130 for the CR-1 visa. He'll need to go back before his 90 days are up. It will take longer than the K1 but there are some important advantages, mostly that he could start working right away after entry, plus it's cheaper. Read up on the differences/(dis)advantages of K1 vs CR1.

Here are your legal options:

1) Study up on the K1 process, fill out the paperwork while he's visiting you, and have him return home. Follow the process.

2) Get married while in the US, have him return home, and file for a spousal visa.

Do not attempt fraud or navigating around the system.

Both good legal options that don't commit fraud. It also gives both of you time to save up money and him to prepare his entire life of moving. It's a big move you know, and once he's moved to the US (especially on the K1) he'll need to stay put for a while until he has authorization.

For a K1 - you apply, wait, get approved (if all is good), wait a bit more, have a medical and interview, get visa. It'll take about 6 months, maybe a bit more depending on circumstances. Once he has his visa, he enters, marries you - and then you are allowed to file for AOS. The end result of AOS is a green card. Along with filing for AOS, you may file for a temporary work and travel permit that should arrive in about 90-120 days. This gives him authorization to work or travel without issues while waiting for the green card (that may take up to a year). You must prove sponsorship and financials for each step - both for the K1 and for AOS. Co sponsors and join sponsorship is allowed. The rest of your financial questions will entirely be tax related. Are you claimed on someone else's taxes? Do you claim anyone else on yours?

Me and my husband took the K1 route. We live with my family and used a cosponsor for the process. My cosponsor also lives with us but has no dependents. For K1 and London specific cases - the London embassy has been known to accept up to 100%, they may also accept self-sponsorship if they have significant savings. For the AOS process - 125% must be met - no exceptions.

Other things to consider: Health insurance. He'll be eligible to obtain it, so think about that expense in the background. He will NOT be eligible to work right away with a K1 visa, but he would be eligible to do so if you went the spousal route. So consider every option available carefully. Read up on the guides here, they are very helpful.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You need to do a k1 fiance visa or cr1

Travelling w his life through customs will be a huge red flag! He can visit during cr1 and he will have a green card upon entry. K1 is shorter. It u have to wait in the USA 6.months before u can work. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
15 hours ago, SapphireCynder said:

Okay, so my fiancee and I have been looking into avenues to take in terms of getting him out here with me in the US. He is currently a UK citizen and visited me back in January through March on an ESTA. We are looking into him coming out here sometime in Novemeber to visit on an ESTA, but we are actively looking into avenues to take to get him out here for good. We are looking into getting him out here for 2 weeks, but if an AOS route is possible, we are gonna try another 3 month stay. I have read on message boards that it is possible to get married and apply for an AOS while he is here, but that it would be difficult to obtain. I understand that if he admits to eloping once he is here in the US and apply for an AOS to the border official that it could deny him entry into the US and the possibility for good, but we are desperate to have him here once and for all. He could get a letter from his current work as well possibly a reference letter from his current home expecting him back on XX day if that would help. Could I get some advice on this? How much would the AOS route cost as opposed to the K1 route? What forms would I have to file? Would I have to prove my income in the AOS route? If so, how much would I have to make living in Virginia as a single household? I currently live with my family and they are all for him moving in with us, would that count as household size or is it based on my taxes? Could I get a rough estimate of the costs for these? I have done brief research on this, but I am getting quite confused because every situation is different. I appreciate all the advice I can get on this, we are both fairly young and inexperieced in this subject.

What you are proposing is illegal and a fraud. Please reconsider just applying for a K 1. US Is a low fraud Embassy. He should be here by March 2018 at the latest if all goes well.

19 hours ago, SapphireCynder said:

You definitely can. My fiancé came to visit me last year and we filed our K-1 application while he was here. He stayed for 3 months on his ESTA.  Five months after he returned to Switzerland, everything was final and he came here on his K-1 for good 😊. It was a long wait, but his visit definitely helped. K-1 sounds like a good thing for you two. Best of luck!  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.