sativo

Help please - married on K1, but need to leave before AOS

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee and I got married within the 90-day K1 visa period, however we have yet to start the AOS process.

We were married in about 60 days, and she has overstayed the visa by about 3 months now.

We have been trying to get her daughter's immunization shots finalized before submitting for the AOS and this is why we haven't done it yet.

The problem now is that my wife and her daughter need to return to their country due to a family matter -- I will accompany them.

Since she has not yet received her early parole / work permit, I understand this means she will not be able to re-enter via the K1 visa. However, since we are married, can we cancel the K1 visa process and start an IR1 or CR1 visa in the future given that she has already overstayed her K1 visa?

If this is possible, what are the chances it will be approved? Is it possible she we be denied on the IR1 or CR1 given her overstay of the K1?

Thank you,

Sativo

Edited by sativo

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Can't cancel the K-1 as it's already used. CR1 will be your next step yes. 

Are you sure you cant wait for AP & EAD to leave the country? Will obviously be cheaper that way. 

And she might have a ban to overcome considering her overstay

K-1:
06/08/2016: I-129F Sent

06/16/2016: Check cashed

08/23/2016: Approval

09/09/2016: At the Stockholm Embassy

09/28/2016: Embassy received completed medical

09/29/2016: Interview date, APPROVAL 

10/14/2016: Visa ISSUED

10/17/2016: Visa received

AOS
12/22/2016: I-485, I-131, I-765 Sent

01/10/2017: Check cashed

02/03/2017: Biometrics completed

04/17/2017: Your case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

01/20/2018: I-485 Interview letter received

02/01/2018: I-485 Interview, APPROVAL 

No bar provided the overstay (counting from the date on the I-94 until the day you leave) is under 180 days.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

17 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

No bar provided the overstay (counting from the date on the I-94 until the day you leave) is under 180 days.

She is at 175 days today. Is there any way to do a speedy petition to allow her a little more time before leaving? Flying out in 4 days will be a challenge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If at all possible get the AOS filed asap. You can always try to get emergency AP for them once you get the NOA1  

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does the 175 include the 90 on her K1 entry?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you can afford to wait at all on the trip, I agree with others who suggested getting in AOS in asap and do the emergency AP, contact congressman for help to speed up emergency AP if possible.  Sorry you are dealing with this problem.  Here is some information about emergency AP:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents/emergency-travel

Good luck and God bless you all

Citizenship process complete!  First a J1 work/travel Visa visitor from Philippines to Texas where we met each other, then back to Philippines.  Ultimately, immigrated here via a K1 Marriage-based petition in 2016, AOS started in 2017, completed in 2018, ROC started/completed in 2020, N-400/Citzenship granted in 2022 - timeline link below:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?cfl=&id=245604

16 minutes ago, papasmf said:

If you can afford to wait at all on the trip, I agree with others who suggested getting in AOS in asap and do the emergency AP, contact congressman for help to speed up emergency AP if possible.  Sorry you are dealing with this problem.  Here is some information about emergency AP:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/travel-documents/emergency-travel

Good luck and God bless you all

Thanks for the information -- very helpful.

We are trying to arrange things so she can stay to do the AOS.

We still have not treated her daughter with all of her immunization shots. Doctor says the final shot must be given in about a year.

Can we file AOS before having all her shots?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She had her Medical etc to get a K2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If there is a family problem, can you not go and see if you can help her family? Instead of your wife travelling without her AP. She is already here and as soon as you file for AOS, you can request an emergency parole perhaps. Unfortunately there is a limo time between marrying on K1 visa and between filing for AOS. That is why always recommended filing for AOS as soon as possible.

I really hope you can solve this problem and your wife can stay in US with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
5 hours ago, sativo said:

Thanks for the information -- very helpful.

We are trying to arrange things so she can stay to do the AOS.

We still have not treated her daughter with all of her immunization shots. Doctor says the final shot must be given in about a year.

Can we file AOS before having all her shots?

You got your answer on this one in your other thread. Yes.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sunnyland said:

If there is a family problem, can you not go and see if you can help her family? Instead of your wife travelling without her AP. She is already here and as soon as you file for AOS, you can request an emergency parole perhaps. Unfortunately there is a limo time between marrying on K1 visa and between filing for AOS. That is why always recommended filing for AOS as soon as possible.

I really hope you can solve this problem and your wife can stay in US with you.

You have a valid point, if the family emergency has occurred, he can go over there and represent, I believe her family will understand the importance of her new family. I will also suggest you video chat from there if she can't make it, Internet might be crappy (no offend to the country) but at least the world is a global village now. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.