facetoface

Undocumented Family in the US

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I am a 21 year-old guy who moved to the US from Colombia when I was a little boy (2 years-old), and lived there until I was 18 and 1/2. I overstayed my visa as a minor so therefore speaking in terms of bar time, there is none aplicable since the time overstayed in the US after turning 18 is only 5 months. I decided to come back to Colombia to avoid having any overstayed time taken against me.

While I was still underage, about 14 years old, my mother married and American Citizen, with the intention of gaining citizenship. During this process my mother, older brother, and I obtained social security numbers and temporary permanent resident cards (Which I took advantage of and worked through most of my high school years at a McDonald´s for college). Yet, during the interview, two years later for permanent resident satatus, the marriage wasd declared fraudulent. My mother was never put in removal procceding, and decided to leave on her own before entering such a process -- she sent the proper notification to USCIS informing that she was leaving.

As for me and my brother, we stayed in the US with my grandmother. I finished high school and decided that I didn`t want to live as an undocumented immigrant, and decided to come down to Colombia for college. Meanwhile, my brother is still in the states living and working. 

Its been almost three years since i´ve  been living in Colombia. Already finishing my junior year in college and have worked all throughout college. Thankfully i´ve and have a great  paying job due to my ability to speak english. 

I´ve wanted to apply for a B1/B2 Toruist Visa for two reasons:

1. Have the freedom of being able to travel without limitations based on a descicion that was taken for me as a minor

2. I current work for a multinational company based in theUS, and there are many career growth oportunities which would requiere for me to travel to the US frequently.

I have NO intention of living in the US, but simply work and travel as a tourist.

Questions: 

1. Is it possible for me to be granted  a B1/B2  type visa?

2. On the visa aplication form,  it asks if I have any relatives in the US, and what  their legal  status is, should I list my brother or would that have future consequences for him? 

(If I were granted the visa, I would mainly be traveling to Florida and Georgia,  and in neither of the two my brother lives.

Thank you for all of your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 hours ago, duvan04 said:

Hello everyone!

I am a 21 year-old guy who moved to the US from Colombia when I was a little boy (2 years-old), and lived there until I was 18 and 1/2. I overstayed my visa as a minor so therefore speaking in terms of bar time, there is none aplicable since the time overstayed in the US after turning 18 is only 5 months. I decided to come back to Colombia to avoid having any overstayed time taken against me.

While I was still underage, about 14 years old, my mother married and American Citizen, with the intention of gaining citizenship. During this process my mother, older brother, and I obtained social security numbers and temporary permanent resident cards (Which I took advantage of and worked through most of my high school years at a McDonald´s for college). Yet, during the interview, two years later for permanent resident satatus, the marriage wasd declared fraudulent. My mother was never put in removal procceding, and decided to leave on her own before entering such a process -- she sent the proper notification to USCIS informing that she was leaving.

As for me and my brother, we stayed in the US with my grandmother. I finished high school and decided that I didn`t want to live as an undocumented immigrant, and decided to come down to Colombia for college. Meanwhile, my brother is still in the states living and working. 

Its been almost three years since i´ve  been living in Colombia. Already finishing my junior year in college and have worked all throughout college. Thankfully i´ve and have a great  paying job due to my ability to speak english. 

I´ve wanted to apply for a B1/B2 Toruist Visa for two reasons:

1. Have the freedom of being able to travel without limitations based on a descicion that was taken for me as a minor

2. I current work for a multinational company based in theUS, and there are many career growth oportunities which would requiere for me to travel to the US frequently.

I have NO intention of living in the US, but simply work and travel as a tourist.

Questions: 

1. Is it possible for me to be granted  a B1/B2  type visa?

2. On the visa aplication form,  it asks if I have any relatives in the US, and what  their legal  status is, should I list my brother or would that have future consequences for him? 

(If I were granted the visa, I would mainly be traveling to Florida and Georgia,  and in neither of the two my brother lives.

Thank you for all of your help!

Did you mean that you want to work and travel with your tourist visa?  

If that is what you meant, you should know that you can NOT and should NOT try to work with a tourist visa. That is not allowed. 

You have to always say the truth. You have to mention all your relatives in U.S. Do not lie in the forms because just so you know, they (immigration dept) know ALL about you. They will find in their system you have family in this country. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can certainly apply

Tell the truth.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
14 hours ago, Sunnyland said:

Did you mean that you want to work and travel with your tourist visa?  

If that is what you meant, you should know that you can NOT and should NOT try to work with a tourist visa. That is not allowed. 

You have to always say the truth. You have to mention all your relatives in U.S. Do not lie in the forms because just so you know, they (immigration dept) know ALL about you. They will find in their system you have family in this country. 

No, my intention is not to work in the US, but to have business prupose training meetings (Headquarters type training).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

You can try applying for a B1/B2 and should tell the truth. I don't know what kind of information USCIS retains but assume that they have files documenting your family's entries, exits, and overstays. For example, your mother notified USCIS that she was leaving the country. Records could show that only she and you left, but that your brother did not. I'm not a lawyer but given your family's history with USCIS, assume that your background might be investigated.

Married to US Citizen. I'm the beneficiary.

Adjustment of Status (AOS) from F-1

• Priority date: 2016-09
  • Initial interview for I-485: 2017-06. Approved on the same day.

Removal of Conditions (ROC)

• Eligible starting: 2019-03

I'm not going to repeat what others have said. If you go ahead an apply, you will need to provide a lot of evidence of ties to Colombia. Because you were already undocumented in the US and you have family in the US (still undocumented for what you say?), your case will be flagged.

It is hard to know if you will get it. You just have to tell the truth, give them a ton of evidence that you will go back to Colombia, and see what happens.

Edited by Coco8

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I'm not going to repeat what others have said. If you go ahead an apply, you will need to provide a lot of evidence of ties to Colombia. Because you were already undocumented in the US and you have family in the US (still undocumented for what you say?), your case will be flagged.

Seconded. You need to demonstrate a lack of immigrant intent/strong ties to your home country for a tourist visa anyway. Given your and your family's history with USCIS, assume that you'll be under extra scrutiny on top of this.

Edited by Allie D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

An unnecessarily assaultive post has been removed.  Being frank is fine; being cruel isn't.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Wanted to share with everyone that I had my biometrics taken yesterday and my interview with the cosnsul today, finally after an extensive 40 minute interview... 

MY VISA WAS APRROVED!

Thank you everyone for you input!

Warm regards from Colombia!

Timeline
51 minutes ago, facetoface said:

Wanted to share with everyone that I had my biometrics taken yesterday and my interview with the cosnsul today, finally after an extensive 40 minute interview... 

MY VISA WAS APRROVED!

Thank you everyone for you input!

Warm regards from Colombia!

Congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.