13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey guys I have a question. Someone raised concerns about their tax return being filed single on a visa chat forum. I went to Jackson Hewitt every year and told them I'm married to a pakistani and trying to bring him to the States and they filed me as single every year. Is this a problem? I assumed not cause I'm documentarily qualified so the NVC approved my tax returns (tax transcripts I should say) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

***Comment split from existing thread***

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, BasitFionaAli said:

Hey guys I have a question. Someone raised concerns about their tax return being filed single on a visa chat forum. I went to Jackson Hewitt every year and told them I'm married to a pakistani and trying to bring him to the States and they filed me as single every year. Is this a problem? I assumed not cause I'm documentarily qualified so the NVC approved my tax returns (tax transcripts I should say) 

They filed incorrectly.  If you are married, you cannot legally file as single.  However, it is not an immigration issue.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, BasitFionaAli said:

Taxes should have been filed as 'Married filing Seperately' instead of Single.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kuchiki said:

Taxes should have been filed as 'Married filing Seperately' instead of Single.

Plus one to that. 

Timeline
18 hours ago, BasitFionaAli said:

You can file an amendment. Change it from single to married file separately. 

Timeline
56 minutes ago, Sikander321 said:

You can file an amendment. Change it from single to married file separately. 

I think I would wait until spouse has a SSN, then amend to a joint return. 

Is not a problem but you are paying higher taxes when you do not have to.  If you are married and your spouse is not in the US, then you can file married filing jointly and also send an application for an ITIN, form W-7. you can download from the IRS website for free and it is pretty much self explanatory.  When you do the first filing enter your spouse social security as all 9's.  That is what I did for 2 years until the ITIN was approved, then, I did amended returns when the ITIN arrive and once he entered the US and received his social security number, I did amended returns again.  DO NOT FILE MARRIED FILING SEPARATE!    

On 2/14/2024 at 1:39 PM, BasitFionaAli said:

No problem at all. Just file Amended returns when she gets here. 

On 2/14/2024 at 2:47 PM, JeanneAdil said:

Spouse is from a high fraud country and you are tying to prove you're married

single is not married

ISL is not a high fraud consulate for IV categories. For non-immigrant visas eg, visit, student visas YES but Immigrant visas, especially marriage cases are pretty straight forward bcz of similar culture--traditional and religious marriages. The overwhelming issues at ISL are financial docs and the petitioner being being low income thus requiring joint sponsor. Any country that has high interfaith and inter-race marriages like the Philippines, Lebanon, Morroco, Thailand are more prone to marriage fraud.

Timeline

So I spoke to my immigration attorney today with my husband and the lawyer said it's not anything to worry about. Definitely start filing married jointly once Basit is in the US but if Jackson Hewitt chose filing single it's because Basit doesn't have a social security number (yet) He said this wouldn't be an issue for him getting his visa. Just more of an issue that I'm not getting tax reliefs like I should from the IRS. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
22 hours ago, BasitFionaAli said:

So I spoke to my immigration attorney today with my husband and the lawyer said it's not anything to worry about. Definitely start filing married jointly once Basit is in the US but if Jackson Hewitt chose filing single it's because Basit doesn't have a social security number (yet) He said this wouldn't be an issue for him getting his visa. Just more of an issue that I'm not getting tax reliefs like I should from the IRS. 

you get the larger tax refund by filing married joint and getting his ITIN by with the W7 form and supporting documents

yeah,  its extra paperwork but its worth the extra $13,850

its there if u want it

Timeline
On 2/17/2024 at 1:49 PM, JeanneAdil said:

you get the larger tax refund by filing married joint and getting his ITIN by with the W7 form and supporting documents

yeah,  its extra paperwork but its worth the extra $13,850

its there if u want it

What are the supporting documents? My marriage certificate?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.