VandK22

RFE for evidence of marital life together, we're a little bit confused

14 posts in this topic

Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong section. Any and all help is very much appreciated!

I entered the US on a K1 Visa and we got married in October 2023 a little over a week after my arrival. 

We promptly filed for AOS and EAD, all within the 90 days. We received an RFE and part of the RFE was for proof of marital life together. it mentioned that it should cover the time period from the start of our relationship to the present.

The questions I have are:

1. Does this mean we should include evidence from when we first started to date each other, and should we send in all the evidence that we sent in with the initial i-129f packet that we filed at the very start of this whole process to prove we had a valid relationship 

2. Would this be sufficient for the post marriage evidence to show we share a marital life together. What we have for this is:

- Around 100 Photos or so from our wedding, honeymoon, Christmas with my wife's family here in the US and pictures from my wife and I celebrating new years together

- Proof that I am an authorized user on her 2 credit cards

- Rental lease with both our names on it and signed by both of us

- Proof that I am on my wife's employment based health insurance as a spouse

- Proof that I am the beneficiary on my wife's life insurance

- Account letter from our bank showing both our names on our checking and savings accounts

- Receipts of things we have done together like, Movies, Broadway shows, Dinners etc.

Would this be considered enough and would I be correct in assuming we send in all evidence from when we started dating back in 2020, or does it mean only from when we got married?

40 minutes ago, VandK22 said:

image.png.2da05b1a7646f0bb77c825f08627301b.png

This is what it mentions for this part, the other part was only for a medical which for some reason they didn't seem to have from my overseas medical so we just got a whole new medical to be safe.

This is confusing us as we're not sure if they mean from the date in which we got married or from the very start of our relationship as we're not sure how marital life can be proven with evidence prior to us getting married?

on the RFE it said share marital life together. technically yes its from the day you married to present. but that's the standard generic letter for RFE anyway

but i dont see the harm to add on the evidence since when u were dating ( for example : boarding pass to show whoever visit the other). this past 2 years i helped filing many AOS, even with wedding pictures and from the day they dated, photos that we submitted never exceed 15 pics. 

focus on evidence of cohabitation / finance more. that's they want to see that you guys share live together

3 hours ago, VandK22 said:

- Account letter from our bank showing both our names on our checking and savings accounts

Account letter is not enough. They want actual full statements, all pages even if they’re mostly blank. Send all statements that you have so far since you probably opened it not that long ago.

100 photos is way too much. 10 is enough.

Edited by powerpuff

26 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Account letter is not enough. They want actual full statements, all pages even if they’re mostly blank. Send all statements that you have so far since you probably opened it not that long ago.

100 photos is way too much. 10 is enough.

What we have is an Account Activity letter.

It shows transactions on the accounts similar to a statement, it has both our names on it as we have access to each others accounts and funds. We both also have a  bank card which states joint account and it allows us access to the money from the other persons checking account, would this be enough or would we require the full statement, these are very similar to statements from what I can see, it shows all the transactions from a date range that we specify

2 minutes ago, VandK22 said:

What we have is an Account Activity letter.

It shows transactions on the accounts similar to a statement, it has both our names on it as we have access to each others accounts and funds. We both also have a  bank card which states joint account and it allows us access to the money from the other persons checking account, would this be enough or would we require the full statement, these are very similar to statements from what I can see, it shows all the transactions from a date range that we specify

Full statements.

10 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Full statements.

second this !

they want to see transactions, eg : pay cable, pay rent, buy groceries etc. normal marital life sharing financial together. my suggestion is always minimum 3 months full statements. they dont care about a piece of letter stating that person A added person B vice versa without real transaction statement.  now obviously u have deadline for RFE so send whatever you have and not waiting for 3 months statement. 

all my statement from the bank are paperless and i can access it by login on the app / website and just download it

Edited by Verrou

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

USCIS/DoS has been bamboozled in the past by people faking statements and only sending in a few, so now they want to see full statements to make sure they are real and show continuity. Yes, it's annoying and you'll kill a lot of trees with your tomes of printing them out but it's the most sure fire way to show authentic financial co-mingling. 

Way back in the day, people used to send in 1 statement per quarter but now they really want to see all statements. I also concur with the others: 15 photos max, preferably with family/friends or doing activities together where you can see different settings etc to show you have a life that you live together. 

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
22 hours ago, VandK22 said:

- Around 100 Photos or so from our wedding, honeymoon, Christmas with my wife's family here in the US and pictures from my wife and I celebrating new years together

- Proof that I am an authorized user on her 2 credit cards

- Rental lease with both our names on it and signed by both of us

- Proof that I am on my wife's employment based health insurance as a spouse

- Proof that I am the beneficiary on my wife's life insurance

- Receipts of things we have done together like, Movies, Broadway shows, Dinners etc.

They want to see hard evidence that you live together at the same address and that you co-mingle finances.  Joint checking and savings accounts, all bank statements, all pages, from marriage until now.  Both driver's licenses showing that you live at the same address.  Utility bills from the date of marriage showing both of your names if possible.  Auto insurance showing both names, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to post a little update to help anyone else going through this

Along with all other mentioned evidence in original post we sent:

Evidence from when I(beneficiary) arrived to the current date of us submitting the RFE

Bank statements as suggested by people on this forum

We cut down the photo amount by a little bit but still sent a decent amount of pictures

We sent in another marriage certificate just to be safe

• USCIS received our RFE on January 23rd
  • Started reviewing the evidence Yesterday January 25th
  • Just got approved and Approval notice Document on MyUscis Account today!

Thank you to everyone who helped us!

Edited by VandK22
Added information

29 minutes ago, VandK22 said:

Just to post a little update to help anyone else going through this

Along with all other mentioned evidence in original post we sent:

Evidence from when I(beneficiary) arrived to the current date of us submitting the RFE

Bank statements as suggested by people on this forum

We cut down the photo amount by a little bit but still sent a decent amount of pictures

We sent in another marriage certificate just to be safe

• USCIS received our RFE on January 23rd
  • Started reviewing the evidence Yesterday January 25th
  • Just got approved and Approval notice Document on MyUscis Account today!

Thank you to everyone who helped us!

Great news!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.