Willybeans23

Looking for affordable K1 visa lawyer

15 posts in this topic

Timeline

A lawyer is only as good as the information you provide. You are going to be doing the vast majority of the leg work. I would always carefully review their work for errors too. With all that, you are essentially doing everything yourself and they are just filling the forms. If you’re willing to put in the work this is a manageable process. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 minutes ago, D-R-J said:

A lawyer is only as good as the information you provide. You are going to be doing the vast majority of the leg work. I would always carefully review their work for errors too. With all that, you are essentially doing everything yourself and they are just filling the forms. If you’re willing to put in the work this is a manageable process. 

totally agree 

you provide all the information as u could do yourself on the petition

one of their office workers types it out (not the lawyer himself)

you sign it and are responsible for all info to be correct and many have  been caught up in mistakes the attorney offices has made later on in the process

Lawyer does not walk u thru the remaining process or do any more without an additional fee

AND A CHEAP LAWYER IS JUST THAT   "CHEAP"

If u are not prepared to do the K1 pettion yourself ,  the AOS after US marriage will floor u  and that costs $1225 without the lawyer

Why K1 when the spouse visa is less work and has so many more benefits like getting the SS #, a Driving license ,  the immigrant can work after POE?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There is the old saying:

You can get it done correctly, get it done quick, or get it done cheap.

Two of the above can be combined, but it will exclude the third: 

-Cheap and quick, but not correctly.

-Cheap and correct, but not quickly.

-Quick and correct, but costly.

There are horror stories here of "affordable" lawyers causing delays and/or making major mistakes.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, Willybeans23 said:

Hey,

I am looking to apply for K1 visa with in the next 2 to 3 months. Can someone recommend an affordable lawyer that can help me and fiancé with the process? If I choose to do it on my own is it easy? I would prefer lawyer due to peace of mind.

Thanks in advance!

You should post for what Country. Some agencies specialize in a particular Country and knows the nuances of that Country's embassy to avoid delays. If your beneficiary is from the Philippines, I know a cheap and amazing paralegal service. They really saved me, and was much better than the lawyer that I consulted.

Edited by W199

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Willybeans23 said:

Hey,

I am looking to apply for K1 visa with in the next 2 to 3 months. Can someone recommend an affordable lawyer that can help me and fiancé with the process? If I choose to do it on my own is it easy? I would prefer lawyer due to peace of mind.

Thanks in advance!

Try rapidvisa, they have done 2 visas for me including a K1 visa

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just to be sure, back in 2017, I went looking for a lawyer and they wanted $4000 and I would have to do most of the work anyway.  The lawyers did not seem to be too interested in this kind of immigration work. So, I did the I-129 myself.  Go through the I-129 and unless you see something that your answer may cause a major issue, my advice would be to just do it yourself.  The guides and people here at Visa Journey can be helpful. My fiancee was in the Philippines and I hired someone to help her on her end once the I-129 was approved primarily to assist her because she was not comfortable with putting her stuff together and using the computer.

46 minutes ago, martinzl said:

Just to be sure, back in 2017, I went looking for a lawyer and they wanted $4000 and I would have to do most of the work anyway.  The lawyers did not seem to be too interested in this kind of immigration work. So, I did the I-129 myself.  Go through the I-129 and unless you see something that your answer may cause a major issue, my advice would be to just do it yourself.  The guides and people here at Visa Journey can be helpful. My fiancee was in the Philippines and I hired someone to help her on her end once the I-129 was approved primarily to assist her because she was not comfortable with putting her stuff together and using the computer.

For a fiancee it is the I-129f not the I-129 which is completely different petition.

13 hours ago, Willybeans23 said:

Hey,

Thanks in advance!

VisaJourney is a DIY site, so most of us have done our entire processes without lawyers.  Is there some reason you think you need one?

It's important to know that using a lawyer doesn't simplify or speed up the process at all, and that you're still 100% responsible for the content of your petition and supporting docs.

Three things you need to realize:

- Lawyers start at $3000. A good one starts at $5000

- Lawyers cannot help much with overseas case. They cannot attend consular interview with you, cannot appeal the visa decision 

- You'll still have to do the legwork and ensure everything is filed correctly.

If, when you fiance comes to the states, you still think you need a lawyer, you can shop around for one for Adjustment of Status (AOS).

Make sure you check any lawyer on:

https://www.aila.org/

- https://www.americanbar.org/

to ensure they're real lawyers.

You can start search on Yelp of other similar websites. Get a few consults and see who appears to be credible.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

After talking to about a dozen different Immigration lawyers, I obtained Solomon Immigration located in Florida to handle my case. All his lawfirm handles is K-1 and CR-1/LR-1 cases. So far, I have been pretty satisfied with this law firm. He charges $350 a month for 8 months or you can pay upfront for $2,500.. 

I know others keep saying that it is not hard to do it yourself and that a lawyer is a waste of money but I think differently.  The paralegal assigned to my case has been extremely helpful in how to format my pictures, how to my family and friends affidavits, ect. She and Mr. Solomon know how to wrap up my petition in a pretty package for USCIS. Basically a good attorney is going to make sure that every single document you need is there before being sent to USCIS. They will also help prepare your fiance for the interview.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, TiffAndMike said:

After talking to about a dozen different Immigration lawyers, I obtained Solomon Immigration located in Florida to handle my case. All his lawfirm handles is K-1 and CR-1/LR-1 cases. So far, I have been pretty satisfied with this law firm. He charges $350 a month for 8 months or you can pay upfront for $2,500.. 

I know others keep saying that it is not hard to do it yourself and that a lawyer is a waste of money but I think differently.  The paralegal assigned to my case has been extremely helpful in how to format my pictures, how to my family and friends affidavits, ect. She and Mr. Solomon know how to wrap up my petition in a pretty package for USCIS. Basically a good attorney is going to make sure that every single document you need is there before being sent to USCIS. They will also help prepare your fiance for the interview.  

Yes, that tis all extremley good and very valuable.  But the point is that here are paralegal agencies, that specialize in K-1's and have many times more K-1's than the lawyer do, and do the exact same thing, they did it for me, for $600. Not the $2500-$4000 that the lawyer dharges.  And it does't end after 8 months, plus they provide am unlimited amount of inquires and questions regarding the million different little details that come up from the time you apply and the time she arrives in the USA.  They help with preparing for the interview, and the DS-160.  The only difference is they don't charge rip-off prices, and do not sign the form saying "they represent you" .. which has zero benefit anyways. A lawyer is good when you need to go to court, etc..  etc..  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know you have asked about the lawyer but in all honesty, the K-1 process can be done by the couple. I am currently on a k-1 request to bring my fiancé from Brazil and we have done everything ourselves. It will save you a lot of money on the long run and it is a fairly easy process. If you can read/follow directions as well as organize documents in order that is requested it should be a smooth task. For the entirety of the process, myself and my fiancé have read a lot and have done it all together. By doing the application process this way we both gain knowledge as well as we are aware of what needs to be done and what has been done. Nonetheless, if you have the financial means to get a lawyer of course go for it. Just be mindful, you will have to also be on top of the process even if the lawyer is pushing paper. We are all humans and can make mistakes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.