28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I are taking a (VERY) log overdue honeymoon starting 10/31.  Our plans were to go to Thailand and then spend three days in South Korea on the way home.   I have a USA passport and my wife has a Philippine passport and USA green card. 

Unfortunately for me, my wife told me that she didn't need a Visa to Korea.  (She claims she did, but whatever).  So I decided to check and yes, she does.  

Here is the issue:  The Korean embassy is in Atlanta.  Assuming I mail all the documents to them, it takes 14 days to process and then they mail back.  (USPS mail). 

I asked them if I fly to Atlanta does it help?  They said they still need 14 days and will mail it back.  

I'm not even sure I'd have her passport back by the time we leave, and if not, the whole trip is dead.   

I emailed the Korean embassy in Bangkok, but they told me that I would have to live in Thailand for 2 years before they could help us.  

Would you all take the chance?  If I don't get the Korean embassy, we have an issue coming home.  BUT: we at least get the Thailand portion of the trip.  

If I mail it, I *might* get it back on time?  (It's already the 11th!)

Wife REALLY wants to go and she's accusing me of sabotaging the Korean portion of the trip.  

Am I overthinking this?  I tend not to trust the USPS or government agencies in general with time-sensitive items.

(We only booked this trip two weeks ago ...)

Thanks in advance.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Her Passport

Her Visa

What does she want to do?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Her Passport

Her Visa

What does she want to do?

She's asking me for a recommendation.  

I'm asking here in the hopes that someone else has had to deal with a travel Visa to ROK.  Given the information I've posted, would you feel comfortable sending your passport off to an embassy on Oct 11th or 12th when you absolutely need it before the last day of the month? 

I'm just trying to get some eyes on this that aren't as invested.  

Thank you in advance.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I've never had to deal with the South Korean consulates.

You might call the one in Atlanta and ask about walk-in service...could you drop the application paperwork off and pick it up later the same day or the next day?  Explain the time constraint and apologize for the short notice.

There appears to be a mechanism to "pre-book an appointment online" to drop off the paperwork.

https://overseas.mofa.go.kr/us-en/brd/m_4502/view.do?seq=706999&page=1

You want to call and ask in advance...don't just drop by with no warning. 

The worst they can say is "no" and then you're back to your original question.  If they say "yes" then you just have to decide if you want to make a trip to Atlanta to deal with it in person.

My comparison was that my wife's Indonesian passport expired while she was in the U.S. on her student visa.  The Indonesian consulate in San Francisco issued her a renewal.  She had made an appointment in advance and was able to walk in and get the new passport in about an hour.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Timeline

Thank you for this.  I actually did call them.  They were not inspiring.  

Short version:

- Yes, I can make an appt and go there, but they *still* need 14 business days + time to mail everything back to me.  She said "We don't take personal schedules into account and we have no express service."

So about the only thing going there would do is save me the time to mail it to them (assuming I could get an immediate appointment)

That would have been ideal if we could have gone there.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sorry but they will still need their processing time. Also it will be better to do the walk in so there are no errors in your paperwork which will add additional time to process. 

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why don't you call the Washington DC embassy? If you are willing to fly out to ATL why not to DC? 

Also, as a US passport holder you need Korean STA to enter ROK. You can do it online for about $10 and it takes up to 24 hours to be issued. 

Good luck.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd scrap the Korea part of the trip.  She said she didn't need a visa and she was wrong.  It is to much of a risk and you might lose the whole trip. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I did call DC.  They won't help me as Florida (my home state) is serviced out of Atlanta.  

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

I'd scrap the Korea part of the trip.  She said she didn't need a visa and she was wrong.  It is to much of a risk and you might lose the whole trip. 

My worry as well.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

ROK has to be one of the most inflexible embassy's I've encountered.  (But maybe everyone changed after COVID?)

I have one more email out to some tour group at the airport that (according to their web-page) claims a Philippine citizen with an outbound Visa to the USA (she has a green card) can "tour" with their group for 3 days Visa free.  It's still the middle of the night there now but hopefully they get back to me.  

If so, it salvages that part of the trip.  If not, I have to do some costly flight changes.  

I'll never let her guilt-trip me into booking without doing my homework again. 

Thanks for all the help and advise.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Oh, just to add some clarification:

- She was right you don't need a visa to transit THROUGH Korea.  
- Then she found your a get the ETA in like a few days.  She confused that with a Visa.  

I for one will be thrilled whenever she gets her citizenship and I can get her on a US Passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Personally - I wouldn't press my luck.

Push the trip out few weeks?

Weather is crappy there anyway.

image.png.384f98012eba8483fa3f0639da821c3b.png

image.png.a42250597956551f3e9cdc2676036037.png

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

US green card holders who are flying an itinerary to or from the US are exempt from South Korean visa requirements for up to 30 days.

https://overseas.mofa.go.kr/us-losangeles-en/wpge/m_4397/contents.do

• For Non-U.S. citizen : Tourists in transit (Click)
    •  
    • For Non-U.S. citizen(e.g. China, Mongol, Vietnam, Philippine, India, Cambodia, Laos, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Armenia, etc), Tourists in transit to another countries via Korea, can visit Korea without a visa for up to 30 days.This rule does not apply for the nationals of 24 countries(e.g. Syria, Sudan, Iran, Cuba, Afghanistan, Nigeria, Ghana, etc) and who have violated Korean immigration law.
    • Eligible Applicants : A person who hold a visa or Permanent residency of U.S. and have a flight ticket that is scheduled to depart from Korea within 30 days.
      • who go to U.S. in transit via Korea; or
      • who stay in U.S. and take a flight from U.S. to Korea to go to a country of nationality or a third country.

Edited by top_secret

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, top_secret said:

I'm almost certain that US green card holders who are flying an itinerary to or from the US are exempt from South Korean visa requirements for up to 30 days.

Subsequent to our above conversation, I did find that on the Korean consulate page.  It's a 30-day Visa Exemption, for US, Canada, Australia and NZ.  It seems to say (paraphrased) if the passenger is destined for the USA while transiting thru Korea and holds a valid Visa or Residency to enter (the USA) they are waved from the Visa requirement.

Now I'm trying to get an embassy to confirm this.  I can't get anyone to answer the phone.  There is also a blurb that the Visa must be affixed to her passport, but she's a green card holder (with an extension letter).  So I have NO idea what to expect.  

Hopefully I'll get ahold of someone soon.  I am surprised the Embassy didn't mention this when I was corresponding with them.

Thank you.  This trip *might* be salvageable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.