Skye841

Getting US drivers licence after filing AOS from k1

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this. Since filing AOS I485 /EAD etc i found out i cannot drive on my Australian licence over here and need a US licence. So question is how am i supposed to practice and get used to driving here on the opposite side of the road and car to prep for the driving test when im not allowed to drive on a foreign licence now? I’m sure for some adapting to driving on the opposite side of the road and car is easier than for others but i feel i need to get used to it before i can do a test.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Rules vary by state. In sone states:

* I-485 receipt helps you get a learner’s permit

* I-485 receipt does not help, and state DMV

— does not care if your presence is authorized. It will issue a learner’s

—  will not issue learner’s until you produce an EAD or GC

This the downside of K-1.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are in one of the states that required my wife to wait for her green card before she could get a learner's permit. So, we got her learner's permit 6 months ago and she is almost ready to take the test for her driver's license.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

going thru back posts it appears u r in Maryland

It says on their site to get permit u  need to show u have applied for lawful permanent residence

• Lawful status must be verified through the U. S. Department of Homeland Security-SAVE, to verify that the visa status is no longer A or G categories; and that you have applied for another status or lawful permanent residence.
  • Also u need to take a 3 hour safe and sober course and get the certificate

so take the course and get that part out of the way

https://mva.maryland.gov/drivers/Pages/international-applicants.aspx

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

going thru back posts it appears u r in Maryland

It says on their site to get permit u  need to show u have applied for lawful permanent residence

• Lawful status must be verified through the U. S. Department of Homeland Security-SAVE, to verify that the visa status is no longer A or G categories; and that you have applied for another status or lawful permanent residence.
  • Also u need to take a 3 hour safe and sober course and get the certificate

so take the course and get that part out of the way

https://mva.maryland.gov/drivers/Pages/international-applicants.aspx

Hi there, i am in VA.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Rules vary by state. In sone states:

* I-485 receipt helps you get a learner’s permit

* I-485 receipt does not help, and state DMV

— does not care if your presence is authorized. It will issue a learner’s

—  will not issue learner’s until you produce an EAD or GC

This the downside of K-1.

Oh ok so regardless they will issue me a learners permit, not a full licence despite having a full licence from Australia? So i don’t need to worry about doing a driving test yet, if that makes sense? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Skye841 said:

Oh ok so regardless they will issue me a learners permit, not a full licence despite having a full licence from Australia? So i don’t need to worry about doing a driving test yet, if that makes sense? 

This also varies by states. Individual states will negotiate reciprocity agreements with other countries and states / provinces within each country.

I consider it a statistical certainty that at least one state in the U.S. recognizes a drivers license from at least one state of Australia for purposes of waiving a road test.  

1 hour ago, Skye841 said:

they will issue me a learners permit, not a full licence despite having a full licence from Australia?

Note that in Virginia, you cannot legally drive with a learner's permit unless seated beside a licensed driver or until you've completed VA driver's ed -- https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/licenses-ids/learners/apply

4 hours ago, Skye841 said:

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this. Since filing AOS I485 /EAD etc i found out i cannot drive on my Australian licence over here and need a US licence. So question is how am i supposed to practice and get used to driving here on the opposite side of the road and car to prep for the driving test when im not allowed to drive on a foreign licence now? I’m sure for some adapting to driving on the opposite side of the road and car is easier than for others but i feel i need to get used to it before i can do a test.

You will find that license rules vary from state to state, and to make it even more frustrating, from DMV to DMV depending on the employee's mood and interpretation of the rules which change from day to day. Make sure you know the rules and requirements, have a print out if needed, or ask for supervisor.

For some, if you already know how to drive and have a license, you can skip the permit process and go straight to full license if you can past a couple tests. That is what my husband managed to do for MD - got a full license so long as he passed the written test, a brief driving test, and the drug/alcohol course. If he had started from scratch it would have been a very lengthy process. We waited until having the EAD in hand, as it was less hassle. 

Sometimes a state also has an 'exchange' program usually with a couple specific countries. Where you trade in your foreign license for the state license. It's another way to skip ahead.

You'll likely also need your name on some kind of mail coming to your US address. They generally like to see bank statements or something like that. You may also need an SSN. Hopefully you have or have started to work on those.

If you go to the Virginia DMV's website you will see it talk about the ability to exchange a license. Unfortunately your country of origin does not qualify, but they do mention this:

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/licenses-ids/license/applying/exchange-foreign-dl

For applicants 18 years and older who are exchanging a license from one of the reciprocal countries listed above, you may not be required to complete the knowledge or road skills tests.

For applicants 18 years and older who hold a license from a country other than those listed above, you will need to complete both the knowledge and the road skills test, but may not need to get a learner’s permit and hold it for 60 days before taking the road skills test. 

In other words it sounds like VA may be similar to MD in that as long as you pass a couple other things and prove you've got a license from a country but not those that are on the 'reciprocal list' you can skip the lengthy learners permit process. So as long as you've got the required documents to start the process, and feel knowledgeable and comfortable driving in the US, you should be good.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
7 hours ago, Skye841 said:

get used to driving here on the opposite side of the road

And driving upside-down (Northern Hemisphere vs. Southern).  :P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I travel between diffierent countries all the time, Left, right side, whatever side you want ( sorry Italy, you are the worst drivers in the world, and I have driven in over 100 countries). Your first time it's about 20 min of terror, then you will be fine. I find it is more difficult when I switch countries to keep the wiper and turn signal actuators straight, Every time I switch I keep hitting the wipers for the turn signals and vise versa for a few days. LOL. Because of the right hand drive to left hand drive switch of the vehicle.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

(sorry Italy, you are the worst drivers in the world, and I have driven in over 100 countries)

Including Ecuador?  :devil: 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
20 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Including Ecuador?  :devil: 

Nope, Panama,  Costa Rica,  Columbia,  is the closest I came to Ecuador.  Costa Rica was interesting,  not bad drivers, the mountainous roads and lack of signage was rough there. And the 3000 dollar US deposit for the rental car was a little steep.  Guess they assumed you weren't coming back...LOL.  only about 1 out of 5 people were able to take the hit on their credit card for the deposit.  People trying to use their debit card were getting turned away.  It was around 1.1 million dollars in Costa Rica currency for the deposit.  Funny thing, the car was only like 10 usd a day rental fee.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

It might be good to double check this. You should be able to continue driving on your Australian license (and some states may need you to get an IDP (which is very easy to get) - https://www.usa.gov/non-citizen-driving) until you have established residence in your state. I did this for 4 years in NY, OH, MA, RI and PA while on a student visa with no problems. Australian tourists rent cars and drive in the US all the time. Though of course, I don't know whether VA is different.

Edited by OK_K1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, OK_K1 said:

It might be good to double check this. You should be able to continue driving on your Australian license (and some states may need you to get an IDP (which is very easy to get) - https://www.usa.gov/non-citizen-driving) until you have established residence in your state. I did this for 4 years in NY, OH, MA, RI and PA while on a student visa with no problems. Australian tourists rent cars and drive in the US all the time. Though of course, I don't know whether VA is different.

I thought an Australian license is in English?

Anyway the discussion is about residents not tourists or students.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.