Swimming_Upstream

Do these visa categories really contribute to US economy?

113 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you just ask with no stats to  back up any claims but there are studies done and the following are the real stats

What share of the immigrant population has a college education?

In 2021, 34 percent (13.6 million) of the 40.2 million immigrants ages 25 and older had a bachelor’s degree or higher, a rate similar to that of U.S.-born adults (see Figure 3). However, newer arrivals tend to be better educated; 47 percent of immigrants who entered the country between 2017 and 2021 held at least a bachelor’s degree.

Immigrants constituted 17 percent (28.6 million people) of the civilian labor force (166.9 million) in 2021, which comprises both employed and unemployed people. Immigrants’ share of the labor force has more than tripled since 1970, when they accounted for approximately 5 percent of the civilian labor force.

What types of jobs do immigrants perform?

Of the 26.8 million employed foreign-born workers ages 16 and older in 2021, the largest share (37 percent) worked in management, professional, and related occupations (see Figure 4).

read the real studies

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states#:~:text=How many U.S. residents are,or 20 percent) from 2010.https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states#:~:text=How many U.S. residents are,or 20 percent) from 2010.

MY great grandfather came thru Canada into Michigan from Finland and worked the mines/ended up in PA working coal and dying of black lung with no disabllity income so that immigrant gave it all

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My Grandfather was invalided out of the pits with the dust, very common back then.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, Demise said:

Okay I think you are really mis-naming some things here. Explain to me in your own words that you understand "FX" to be.

From DHS website: 

FX1 Spouses of alien residents, exempt from country limits, new arrivals
FX6 Spouses of alien residents, exempt from country limits, adjustments

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, African Zealot said:

Define fairness. This conversation is going nowhere. In my opinion and apparently based on evidence, the diversity from the 50,000 or so diversity applicants is more important and beneficial than bringing your adult children here. Why should we even bring your adult children here? They’re adults! They shouldn’t even be allowed to come at all except visit. Or we may as well bring your entire clan.

- In many cases (ref. F2B thread on Visa Journey) they are not bringing their adult children over here, those children were actually already here when the parents got their green cards. Chances are they got aged out when the green card happened. 
Now most of these "adult" students are paying tuition fees as foreigners, sometimes triple the amount they would have paid if they were in-state. They are not able to get jobs because the employer won't sponsor them.

3 hours ago, Swimming_Upstream said:

From DHS website: 

FX1 Spouses of alien residents, exempt from country limits, new arrivals
FX6 Spouses of alien residents, exempt from country limits, adjustments

Okay, explain in your own words what do you think this means.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
15 hours ago, Sm1smom said:

Generalized statements such DV lottery winners are not highly educated is one of the reasons why folks who have no understanding of the DV process or have closely monitored it make the uninformed and sometimes biased opinions they have about DV selectees.

Yes, the DV educational requirement is a successful completion of HS, and yes there are some selectees who never advanced beyond that level educationally. However, for every one or two selectee with just a HS diploma, there are  on average four selectees with at least a bachelor’s degree, not to talk of those with graduate study degrees (with some having multiple such degrees), and some with Ph.D degrees (or going through Ph.D studies at the time of being selected). These are not arbitrary numbers, they are factual numbers based on other forums with active DV sections that I monitor, one of which I’ve been a part of as a moderator for the past 12+ years or so. 

Amen!

To add, is there a minimum education requirement for K1, CR1 and the other family based visas?  No?  Shouldn't there be, if we're talking about contribution to the economy?

To go one step further, if the measure of success as an immigrant is education, let's make a college degree a requirement for all would be immigrants.  Lol, I can hear the howling already. Don't worry though, a large proportion of DV applicants have college degrees.  We will be fine.

Edited by EmilyW

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
On 6/28/2023 at 3:23 PM, mam521 said:

I'd be more inclined to argue why are people allowed to renew their PR indefinitely if they are in the US - if it's so good, why aren't those people willing to get their citizenship?  

Agreed with the rest of your post, but I'd like to note that immigrants might be from countries that do not allow dual citizenship - so there might be reasons not to naturalize

eg China, India (though India's visa regime for ex citizens is almost a citizenship), Indonesia

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, M+K IL said:

Agreed with the rest of your post, but I'd like to note that immigrants might be from countries that do not allow dual citizenship - so there might be reasons not to naturalize

eg China, India (though India's visa regime for ex citizens is almost a citizenship), Indonesia

It comes down to somewhat of a philosophical question of where do your allegiances lie? 

If you've chosen to live your life in the USA, work in the USA, take advantage of all the US has to offer and essentially sever ties with your home country, what is tying you to that other country? A full term greencard gives a person 10 years to figure it out.  Even a limited term greencard requires a massive effort to finally remove the conditions.  If you're willing to go through that effort, why not be a citizen? 

If you ever wanted to go back to that country, you still are tied to the US, even as a PR, unless you rescind your greencard (or citizenship) as you're still required to file income taxes.  At that point, if you're returning permanently, you rescind your US citizenship and can (in most cases) reclaim your birth citizenship by meeting the requirements, just as you had to to get US PR & citizenship in the first place.  

The merit based immigration countries push for people to take on their citizenship after they've met PR requirements and are eligible.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

If you've chosen to live your life in the USA, work in the USA, take advantage of all the US has to offer and essentially sever ties with your home country, what is tying you to that other country? A full term greencard gives a person 10 years to figure it out.  Even a limited term greencard requires a massive effort to finally remove the conditions.  If you're willing to go through that effort, why not be a citizen? 

You assume that every future LPR desperately wants to live in the US. I honestly am going there for my husband. Will I mind living in the US? Not really, you can make it a good place to live in. Nonetheless, I am not sure that I would like to sacrifice my family history and ties to my native country.

Aside from that my current passport does offer me the chance to return home and a few perks the American passport does not come with.

Sorry but I think that I am not the only pragmatic person who is looking at the benefits versus the risks, considering the only reason I will be moving to the US for is my husband.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Redro said:

Oooooh…

Now, now... let's keep all responses on a high plane in a thread fraught with the chance to go south.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
45 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Now, now... let's keep all responses on a high plane in a thread fraught with the chance to go south.

Having read on this thread that whitey cannot innovate, invent, or discover, we went south a long time ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 hours ago, mam521 said:

If you're willing to go through that effort, why not be a citizen? 

So -- not me, I'm naturalizing, but I know Indonesians (not necessarily in the US; some are in Europe) who prefer not to naturalize in the country they live in because of inheritance issues (namely, Indonesia heavily restricts what a foreigner can inherit). I suspect this is less common for Indonesians in the US though - as you said, there are more hoops to jump through here, so those whose family have businesses back home will likely not get as far as getting GCs in the first place.

Perversely, since EU visitor visa are tougher than US (hard to get multiple-entry long-term visas for the Schengen area), even though the Indonesian passport is rather weak, if you're based in Europe traveling is not that big a deal - free access to the Schengen area as a resident, and you can just get long-term visas for the US and UK.

Edited by M+K IL
adding example

US entry :

GC issued :
CIS Office :

2016 (me, H-1B) / 2017 (her, H-4)

2018-06-20

Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2023-03-22

NOA Date :

Bio. Appt. Notice :

2023-03-22

2023-03-24

Bio. Appt. :

2023-04-13

Interview Notice :

Interview Date :

Oath Ceremony :

2023-05-24

2023-07-13 (approved)

TBD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.