Crazy Cat

How are some cases approved so much faster than others?

64 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I've been on this site for 11 years and nothing about USCIS and it's processing times have been predictable or made any sense whatsoever. Just when you think you have it figured out, something changes for no apparent reason, without explanation. Trying to figure it all out will drive you crazy. My husband and I had a very simple journey, from submitting his I-130, up to including naturalization, never so much as even having an RFE at any stage. And we had some major so-called "red flags". At the same time, others who started when we did, who had no red flags took months and in many cases, years longer. 

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They may be screening through the obvious ones that will be approved although they should apply this to all of the 751's and not just the more recent ones.  Also, since almost all are eventually approved, if this is the case, they should be pushing through many more.  Another possibility is that the older ones are allowed to sit as many may become combo interviews for removal of conditions and citizenship. My wife waited over 2 years and wound up with a combo interview.

Edited by martinzl

2 hours ago, Daphne . said:

They can take as long as they want, as long as they keep sending me extension letters if needed! 😅 

I am not interested in naturalizing. 

I admire this.  Your outlook is so refreshing.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
5 hours ago, igoyougoduke said:

Usually for most folks that kicks the 751 decision

I want to underline the word “most”. 
In my case, my N400 has done jack to my 751. Both my cases are completely dormant.

Edited by TBoneTX
prohibited word edited

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

14 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

How can some I-751s sit for a long as 3 years (No RFEs) before processing while newly-submitted cases are processed in a little as 3 months?  I think USCIS is manipulating their processing times by processing cases last in, first out....at the expense of people who submitted cases earlier.  

Anyone have a better explanation?  Local office issues?

Honestly, I believe USCIS is well know and highly regarded as one of the foremost global purveyors of random nonsensical ...... can't write that here.

OTOH, my wife and stepdaughter's I-130's only took only 49 days for no apparent reason at all.  So who am I to judge USCIS. 

We are filing ROC a month from now.  It's possible we depleted our luck in the first round.  We have low expectations this time around.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

8 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Bottom line is that USSCIS is giving preferential treatment to new cases while others wait in a pile.  There is no reason they could not have started this "new program" using cases already in the queue for YEARS!!!  There is no way to justify this.

My rant is finished.  I hope you, all, are soon out from under the thumb of USCIS.  It is a great feeling.

Yet again I think the only way you can deal with is to fight in court with mandamus. Until than people are not going to get results 

duh

7 hours ago, Jasskatten said:

I don't think they were scanned before they started doing IOE numbers though. They used to send the actual stack of papers around, and if an officer wanted to work on a case, they needed that case to be physically sent to them. 

Correct. They previously would be mailing stacks of paper around the place. IOE cases are “online” in so much as they are all digital now on the officers computer screen. Hence the fact they are faster to process.

And yes I agree, it’s not fair that older cases are held up for the newer ones to process faster but it’s the way of the future now, and as another poster pointed out, it seems they are doing this to A) show cases are being processed faster and B) testing out the new system for data points. 

Just now, TeddyFazBear said:

Correct. They previously would be mailing stacks of paper around the place. IOE cases are “online” in so much as they are all digital now on the officers computer screen. Hence the fact they are faster to process.

And yes I agree, it’s not fair that older cases are held up for the newer ones to process faster but it’s the way of the future now, and as another poster pointed out, it seems they are doing this to A) show cases are being processed faster and B) testing out the new system for data points. 

something tells me they are going to move i-751 to be filed online soon. we shall see.

duh

10 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

something tells me they are going to move i-751 to be filed online soon. we shall see.

I honestly think you are right.

As another post pointed out; the 751 is basically useless outside of some potentially fraudulent cases in the vast minority - of which USCIS would already know who they suspect of this at the 130/485 stage of the process anyway.

If they intend to keep the 751 it should really be down to just background checks etc…and cool it on providing a tonne of evidence all over again. That would speed things up dramatically. I mean look at the stats, 98-99% of 751s are approved anyway. What is the point of it.

Just my thoughts anyway!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Three points:

-- Way back in 2008, my then-Congressman's immigration liaison described USCIS as "our VERY worst" Federal agency.

-- Things were bad before, but they got even worse when the DACA program was decreed.  That program ground every other process to a dead halt, and I don't perceive that USCIS has recovered even by now.

-- All of us, even if finished with our own process, should contact our Congressman's office to mention this phenomenon with the "LIFO" I-751 processing.  This will raise awareness in Congress, and some members might put pressure on USCIS.  In addition, the responses to us can be posted in this thread.  (We'll be able to see which Congressional offices give bedbug answers that blow us off versus thoughtful, caring answers.)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

36 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Three points:

-- Way back in 2008, my then-Congressman's immigration liaison described USCIS as "our VERY worst" Federal agency.

-- Things were bad before, but they got even worse when the DACA program was decreed.  That program ground every other process to a dead halt, and I don't perceive that USCIS has recovered even by now.

-- All of us, even if finished with our own process, should contact our Congressman's office to mention this phenomenon with the "LIFO" I-751 processing.  This will raise awareness in Congress, and some members might put pressure on USCIS.  In addition, the responses to us can be posted in this thread.  (We'll be able to see which Congressional offices give bedbug answers that blow us off versus thoughtful, caring answers.)

VOTE for TBONETX 2024

Can you share if there is a specific template, guide, whatever to writing our individual Congress office?  I am guessing it is more of a direct letter rather than the process like the WOM.  Yes?

Edited by Fe.Ta
NA

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Adjudicating newer cases before older cases can help improve efficiency and reduce the backlog over time for the following reasons:

1. Addressing Potential Issues Sooner: By focusing on recently submitted cases, USCIS can identify and address any potential issues or concerns in a more timely manner. This proactive approach allows for prompt resolution of any discrepancies or complications, reducing the need for additional requests for evidence (RFEs) or further delays.

2. Preventing Backlog Expansion: Prioritizing newer cases prevents the backlog from growing even larger. By promptly processing recently submitted cases, USCIS prevents them from adding to the existing backlog. This approach helps ensure that the backlog does not become more overwhelming and allows the agency to manage its workload more effectively.

Processing newer cases first allows USCIS to identify and address any issues or errors more quickly, as well as to ensure that applicants who are still waiting for a decision have their cases reviewed and adjudicated in a timely manner. This can help to reduce overall processing times and improve the experience for applicants. Additionally, by prioritizing newer cases, USCIS can ensure that they are adhering to any changes or updates to their new policies and manuals (like the use of the IOE/digitalization of applications).

Again, while this approach may not entirely eliminate the backlog, it helps make progress in reducing it over time. By addressing recently submitted cases promptly, USCIS can provide faster decisions, prevent backlog growth, and increase its overall capacity to handle pending cases more efficiently.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Adrianito

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
9 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

If it weren't that it would raise a red flag, and issues overall obviously, I would withdraw the 751 and re-submit.  Haha  Just cheat the system like they cheat us.

Yeah you're right- if there would be a guarantee that it works, I would submit again, too....I submitted last year in may😤

6 hours ago, Adrianito said:

Adjudicating newer cases before older cases can help improve efficiency and reduce the backlog over time for the following reasons:

1. Addressing Potential Issues Sooner: By focusing on recently submitted cases, USCIS can identify and address any potential issues or concerns in a more timely manner. This proactive approach allows for prompt resolution of any discrepancies or complications, reducing the need for additional requests for evidence (RFEs) or further delays.

2. Preventing Backlog Expansion: Prioritizing newer cases prevents the backlog from growing even larger. By promptly processing recently submitted cases, USCIS prevents them from adding to the existing backlog. This approach helps ensure that the backlog does not become more overwhelming and allows the agency to manage its workload more effectively.

Processing newer cases first allows USCIS to identify and address any issues or errors more quickly, as well as to ensure that applicants who are still waiting for a decision have their cases reviewed and adjudicated in a timely manner. This can help to reduce overall processing times and improve the experience for applicants. Additionally, by prioritizing newer cases, USCIS can ensure that they are adhering to any changes or updates to their new policies and manuals (like the use of the IOE/digitalization of applications).

Again, while this approach may not entirely eliminate the backlog, it helps make progress in reducing it over time. By addressing recently submitted cases promptly, USCIS can provide faster decisions, prevent backlog growth, and increase its overall capacity to handle pending cases more efficiently.

What do you guys think?

So you want LIFO (Last In, First Out) to continue? It doesn't make sense, doesn't improve the USCIS experience and will only further antagonize people who waited years for their cases to be processed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.