16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

So, it is time for us to start the naturalization process. I have been LPR since 2015 and thus qualify for both A & B conditions of eligibility (a. have been a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.A. for at least 5 years, regardless of marital status, and b. have been a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.A. for at least 3 years and are the spouse of a U.S. citizen for the last three years).

Which box is it best for me to tick?

I'm asking because (b) requires much more proof paperwork. 

Any guidance is much appreciated

greek_american_flag100.gif

Vda4m4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Kev-N-Ann said:

Which box is it best for me to tick?

If you have 5 years of IRS tax return transcripts on hand, file on the basis of being an LPR for 5 years.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If you have 5 years of IRS tax return transcripts on hand, file on the basis of being an LPR for 5 years.

Thank you for your answer!

I do have tax returns, but I was a dependent (of my U.S. spouse).

So, would it be quicker and easier to be processed as a 5 years LPR? 

Vda4m4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kev-N-Ann said:

Thank you for your answer!

I do have tax returns, but I was a dependent (of my U.S. spouse).

Quicker no.. less documentation required .. yes 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Kev-N-Ann said:

I do have tax returns,

Do you have tax return transcripts?

but I was a dependent (of my U.S. spouse).

My spouses have never been listrd as my dependents or vice versa. I an unaware that a spouse can be listed as a dependent.

Did you file jointly with your U.S. spouse?

Depends on the answers to my questions. Depending on answers you might not be ready to file N-400.

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Kev-N-Ann said:

I do have tax returns, but I was a dependent (of my U.S. spouse)

Spouses are not listed as dependents.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Spouses are not listed as dependents.

Yes, please, excuse my using the wrong term.

We are filling jointly. 

I have my GC since 2015, have left the country for no more than 6 months in total and we also have a minor child together, who was born after we got married on a K1 visa in 2014. 

I meet the eligibility requirements. 

The question was if there's really any other difference in which box I tick in part one of the form, other than the amount of paperwork that has to go with it 😊

I'm sorry for the confusion!

Vda4m4.png

Timeline
Just now, Kev-N-Ann said:

The question was if there's really any other difference in which box I tick in part one of the form

The difference is that you can log onto your irs.gov account and download 3-4 years of IRS tax return transcripts. But you cannot download 5 years. So if you do not have 5 years of tax return transcripts, your 5 year

based N-400 can be delayed.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The difference is that you can log onto your irs.gov account and download 3-4 years of IRS tax return transcripts. But you cannot download 5 years. So if you do not have 5 years of tax return transcripts, your 5 year

based N-400 can be delayed.

Thanks!

Vda4m4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kev-N-Ann said:

The question was if there's really any other difference in which box I tick in part one of the form, other than the amount of paperwork that has to go with it 😊

Filing under the 5 year rule is a piece of cake..... I speak from experience.  Good Luck.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Filing under the 5 year rule is a piece of cake..... I speak from experience.  Good Luck.

Filing based on the 3 year rule was also a piece of cake for my wife.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Depending on circumstances, mine was straight forward under the 3 year rule. Fun part is that this process went so fast and today makes it 6 months that I’ve been naturalized and it amazes Me because sometimes I forget that I am a citizen 😂

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The 3 year rule is for those who are eligible and don't want to wait for 5 years. You have already waited 5+ years, so you will automatically be filing under the 5 year rule. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.