Clergybones

Health Insurance for Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)

49 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Clergybones said:

$700-1200 even though they don't have income? That doesn't sound right. Afterall, it's supposed to be the "affordable" Healthcare.

welcome to 'murica. is indeed super expensive. some people rather went back to home country to do various check up etc, but of course when emergency happens, we have to be prepare

Definitely at least several hundred dollars a month per person plus a very high deductible on the ACA/Obamacare. 

Edited to add: You can actually go to healthcare.gov right now, plug your parents information (birthdate, expected state/city) in and see exactly what it would cost. Keep in mind it goes up every year. I was on ACA for years until very recently, but I am so thankful it exists because without it, we would not have had healthcare.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

9 minutes ago, Sarah&Facundo said:

Definitely at least several hundred dollars a month per person plus a very high deductible on the ACA/Obamacare. 

Edited to add: You can actually go to healthcare.gov right now, plug your parents information (birthdate, expected state/city) in and see exactly what it would cost. Keep in mind it goes up every year. I was on ACA for years until very recently, but I am so thankful it exists because without it, we would not have had healthcare.

Thank you. So I looked at some of the plans and I see that they have various deductible amounts such as $900 all the way to $2000. How does this work exactly? If they were to go see a Doctor, would they have to pay at least $900 for each visit if the deductible was this amount? Even though the cost of the Doctor visit costs less than $900?

1 hour ago, SalishSea said:

You’re sure they will be eligible for Arizona’s Medicaid program?  Last I checked, it wasn’t known for being one of the most immigrant-friendly states.

You may want to confirm all of the things you are making assumptions about.

Will definitely have to confirm. According to the Medicaid site, (https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/eligibility/index.html) their eligibility requirements states: 

Non-Financial Eligibility

To be eligible for Medicaid, individuals must also meet certain non-financial eligibility criteria. Medicaid beneficiaries generally must be residents of the state in which they are receiving Medicaid. They must be either citizens of the United States or certain qualified non-citizens, such as lawful permanent residents. In addition, some eligibility groups are limited by age, or by pregnancy or parenting status.

The IL's will be a lawful permanent resident so they will meet this eligibility due to low/no income from my understanding. My next question here is, if I claim them as dependents for tax, will the IL's still be able to claim a "no-income" status being as a dependent? If not, then it looks to me it might be best to not claim them as dependents.

Edited by Clergybones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Clergybones said:

Will definitely have to confirm. According to the Medicaid site, (https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/eligibility/index.html) their eligibility requirements states: 

Non-Financial Eligibility

To be eligible for Medicaid, individuals must also meet certain non-financial eligibility criteria. Medicaid beneficiaries generally must be residents of the state in which they are receiving Medicaid. They must be either citizens of the United States or certain qualified non-citizens, such as lawful permanent residents. In addition, some eligibility groups are limited by age, or by pregnancy or parenting status.

The IL's will be a lawful permanent resident so they will meet this eligibility due to low/no income from my understanding. My next question here is, if I claim them as dependents for tax, will the IL's still be able to claim a "no-income" status being as a dependent? If not, then it looks to me it might be best to not claim them as dependents.

Coverage for lawfully present immigrants

Lawfully present immigrants are eligible for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace®.
The term “lawfully present” includes immigrants who have:
  • “Qualified non-citizen” immigration status without a waiting period (see details below).
  • Humanitarian statuses or circumstances (including Temporary Protected Status, Special Juvenile Status, asylum applicants, Convention Against Torture, victims of trafficking).
  • Valid non-immigrant visas.
  • Legal status conferred by other laws (temporary resident status, LIFE Act, Family Unity individuals). See a full list of immigration statuses eligible for Marketplace coverage.

Lawfully present immigrants and Marketplace savings

If you’re a lawfully present immigrant, you can buy private health insurance on the Marketplace. You may be eligible for lower costs on monthly premiums and lower out-of-pocket costs based on your income.
  • If your annual income is above 400% of the  : You may still qualify for premium tax credits that lower your monthly premium for a 2022 Marketplace health insurance plan.
  • If your annual income is between 100% and 400% FPL: You may qualify for premium tax credits and other savings on Marketplace insurance.
  • If your annual income is at or below 150% FPL and you’re not eligible for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP): You may be able to enroll in or change Marketplace coverage through a  . See if you can get health coverage.
  • If your annual household income is below 100% FPL: If you’re not otherwise eligible for Medicaid you’ll qualify for premium tax credits and other savings on Marketplace insurance, if you meet all other eligibility requirements.

Immigrants and Medicaid & CHIP

Immigrants who are “qualified non-citizens” are generally eligible for coverage through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), if they meet their state’s income and residency rules.
In order to get Medicaid and CHIP coverage, many qualified non-citizens (such as many LPRs or green card holders) have a 5-year waiting period. This means they must wait 5 years after receiving "qualified" immigration status before they can get Medicaid and CHIP coverage. There are exceptions. For example, refugees, asylees, or LPRs who used to be refugees or asylees don’t have to wait 5 years.

This was mentioned initially

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

We are AZ residents, retired, and our taxable income is zero (when stock market crashes 20 percent, combined with onerous alimony from a pre-2017 divorce) that is what happens to an early retiree) and healthcare.gov kept sending us to state medicaid.

And AZ state medicaid said no each time. Not sure what the exact reason was as the rejection letters were dozens of pages long.

I did not care, so the third time I set my income to a level high enough that the medicaid and ACA subsidies rabbit holes were avoided. Finally I could  enroll in the cheapest PPO I could find: $1200 each per month.

Maybe at tax time next year we will get some insurance premiums back or maybe we will not. When I imported my wife to the U.S. i assumed this what health

care would cost. 

Given the GOP controls both chambers of the legislature, do not AZ medicaid to be available.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mike E said:

We are AZ residents, retired, and our taxable income is zero (when stock market crashes 20 percent, combined with onerous alimony from a pre-2017 divorce) that is what happens to an early retiree) and healthcare.gov kept sending us to state medicaid.

And AZ state medicaid said no each time. Not sure what the exact reason was as the rejection letters were dozens of pages long.

I did not care, so the third time I set my income to a level high enough that the medicaid and ACA subsidies rabbit holes were avoided. Finally I could  enroll in the cheapest PPO I could find: $1200 each per month.

Maybe at tax time next year we will get some insurance premiums back or maybe we will not. When I imported my wife to the U.S. i assumed this what health

care would cost. 

Given the GOP controls both chambers of the legislature, do not AZ medicaid to be available.

It is only a couple of States that provide it from Day 1, California and New York I know.  Colorado which is Blue does not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

How does this work exactly? If they were to go see a Doctor, would they have to pay at least $900 for each visit if the deductible was this amount?

Deductible is what the patient pays before the insurance will paid a penny.  A Co-pay is what a patient pays for each visit.  Other things to research:

Covered cost

Costs not covered

Maximum out-of-pocket

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
2 hours ago, Clergybones said:

Thank you. So I looked at some of the plans and I see that they have various deductible amounts such as $900 all the way to $2000. How does this work exactly? If they were to go see a Doctor, would they have to pay at least $900 for each visit if the deductible was this amount? Even though the cost of the Doctor visit costs less than $900?

The deductible if the amount you have to pay out of your pocket before the insurance will pay anything. 

11 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Deductible is what the patient pays before the insurance will paid a penny.  A Co-pay is what a patient pays for each visit.  Other things to research:

Covered cost

Costs not covered

Maximum out-of-pocket

10 minutes ago, belinda63 said:

The deductible if the amount you have to pay out of your pocket before the insurance will pay anything. 

Yes, I understand the deductible part where you have to pay a specified amount before the insurance will pay for their part. But for example, if a deductible is $900, does that mean you have to pay for this amount each time you see a doctor? 

Timeline

It will vary but a Doctor Visit should be a lot less than that. You really need to read the conditions of each plan.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Yes, I understand the deductible part where you have to pay a specified amount before the insurance will pay for their part. But for example, if a deductible is $900, does that mean you have to pay for this amount each time you see a doctor? 

Re-read my comment.  A CO-PAY is what is paid every visit.  A healthcare deductible is generally a yearly expense of the patient.  In other words, the patient pays the first $900 of covered care in a given year.  Then, the insurance kicks in.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

A deductible in normal insurance terminology applies to each incident. I have a $500 deductible on my car insurance, I am responsible for the first $500 every time I smash my car up. For OCare there is a cap. For the 2023 plan year: The out-of-pocket limit for a Marketplace plan can't be more than $9,100 for an individual and $18,200 for a family.

Now that only applies to covered expenses.

You should look up the following terms:   Premium, deductible and co-pay.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.