breadlover408

Some other Qs about B2 tourist visa

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, so I would like to ask a few questions regarding a B2 tourist visa for my mum to visit.

She is intending to visit for a month (let's say 4 weeks).

1. If she decides to extend another week whilst she's here because she wants to suddenly visit some other places, would I need to send a request to immigration?
or once she has entered, she is allowed anyway depending on the date that she must leave on the i-94?

2. She is under my joint bank account in home country, and also under my fixed deposits which are sufficient for her trip.
But my husband does not mind being a secondary sponsor for her trip (not that she needs it), but just to show more evidence, would he need to fill form i-134 (declaration of financial support) just incase they question more about her funds?
(she's retired, not working, my brother and I support her now).

Thank you :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

CBP will be looking for a round trip ticket so if she stays longer (within the dates allowed at POE) just pay the hundreds extra for the change in the return ticket

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Always easier to keep it simple especially with aged parents 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Right got it, thanks everyone.  

Just asking as before I was in the US we never really travelled to this side of the world, so wasn’t sure about procedures etc but good to know incase family or friends want to visit in the future. :)

2 hours ago, Sammy_2496 said:

She can stay for an extra amount of time, but only if the date on her I-94 allows her too. It's important she check's the "admitted until" date on that so she doesnt overstay and lose her visa. 

Yes of course. We have never overstayed anywhere ever from all the years we have travelled to different countries. 

Edited by breadlover408

3 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

1. The I-94 dictates how long she can legally stay in the US during her visit.  

2.  There is no sponsorship for B2 visas.  She will have to apply on her own merits.  She should be prepared to show strong ties to her country.  Your full support does not help her case.  Your I-134s could also harm her case.

Good luck.

Is the i-94 usually different for everyone?

eg at POE the officer gives you 3 months generally or it’s up to them to even give 2 weeks (for example)?

does it depend on the return ticket?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Normally 6 months but they can do what they want

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, breadlover408 said:

Is the i-94 usually different for everyone?

eg at POE the officer gives you 3 months generally or it’s up to them to even give 2 weeks (for example)?

The CPB officer can give you the 6 months (which is the max amount you can get on the B2) but not always. Or, for example, if you say to them you're visiting for 2 weeks, some might only give you those two weeks on the I-94. 

Just now, breadlover408 said:

It's 6 months by default, but I've seen reports here on VJ of some being given much less than 6 months, like 1 month or 2 weeks, regardless of the date on the return ticket.

In my case, I was always given 6 months, even if all my return trips were scheduled for 3 months or sooner.  Same for my mom.

10 hours ago, breadlover408 said:

Hi everyone, so I would like to ask a few questions regarding a B2 tourist visa for my mum to visit.

She is intending to visit for a month (let's say 4 weeks).

1. If she decides to extend another week whilst she's here because she wants to suddenly visit some other places, would I need to send a request to immigration?
or once she has entered, she is allowed anyway depending on the date that she must leave on the i-94?

2. She is under my joint bank account in home country, and also under my fixed deposits which are sufficient for her trip.
But my husband does not mind being a secondary sponsor for her trip (not that she needs it), but just to show more evidence, would he need to fill form i-134 (declaration of financial support) just incase they question more about her funds?
(she's retired, not working, my brother and I support her now).

Thank you :)

Are you wanting her to move here?  If so, you'll need to petition her for an immigrant visa.

5 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Are you wanting her to move here?  If so, you'll need to petition her for an immigrant visa.

No no of course not. 
she’s not planning on moving to the US. 

she just wants to visit for a holiday 😅 not everyone wants to live in the US lol. It’s only because I’m living here now. 

she would rather stay in Europe to be honest lol. Also, Asia has better food anyway 😂😂😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.