salman_shah

request an i-130 interview in another country

20 posts in this topic

hello.. 

brief history.. 4 months into application of i-130 .. awaiting further instructions ...

originially i am from pakistan but after application i moved to middle east temporarily where i run a small scale business .. whenever the interview date comes i would obviously need to come back to my home country for THE INTERVIEW.  the passport needs to be submitted at the embassy and provided everything goes smoothly the whole process would be done with in the next month or so after the interview..  this would happen in a perfect world but i have heard horror stories about people waiting for many many months even years after their interview... what if they kept my passport for many many months god forbids even for more then a year, my business back in middle east will suffer terribly and i will be stuck here.. considering this scenerio would it be advisable if a requested the embassy for the change in venue of interview to the my current location in middle east...?? visa process is taking very long as it is how much more time would it add to the overall process... ?? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
  • if u need to work in the other country and a a legal resident ,  ask to interview there /  then no passport needed
  • the long AP is because the embassy must do the criminal report research as Pakistan keeps poor or no records 

4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:
  • if u need to work in the other country and a a legal resident ,  ask to interview there /  then no passport needed
  • the long AP is because the embassy must do the criminal report research as Pakistan keeps poor or no records 

oh i see.. the country i reside in is obviously a first world country with well maintained security check system.. are you implying that if i requested the interview in my current country of residence it would expedite the process as background security checks are more reilable here and would already have been done ??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, salman_shah said:

oh i see.. the country i reside in is obviously a first world country with well maintained security check system.. are you implying that if i requested the interview in my current country of residence it would expedite the process as background security checks are more reilable here and would already have been done ??

There would still be a lengthy AP for police checks from your home country to be completed. But you  would be in the country of your work so able to continue to live and work while it’s happening 

54 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

You can always request to get your passport back from the embassy.

really ?? correct me if i am wrong but dont they need my passport to paste a related travel document like a visa or something. i know the actual permanant cr 1 is pasted at the port of entry and not at the embassy but wont they paste anything on my passport ?? if not then what kind of travel document would be provided to me 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
10 minutes ago, salman_shah said:

really ?? correct me if i am wrong but dont they need my passport to paste a related travel document like a visa or something. i know the actual permanant cr 1 is pasted at the port of entry and not at the embassy but wont they paste anything on my passport ?? if not then what kind of travel document would be provided to me 

You return you Passport when they are ready to issue the visa

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, salman_shah said:

no  it will not and its not what i was saying

the embassy still needs security checks from Pakistan

i said if u need passport to get back to this other country,   ask that embassy to do the interview 

they will also keep your passport till AP is done but u will be there to work

16 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

no  it will not and its not what i was saying

the embassy still needs security checks from Pakistan

i said if u need passport to get back to this other country,   ask that embassy to do the interview 

they will also keep your passport till AP is done but u will be there to work

ahaan... thankyou

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

We had kind of simmilar experiance requesting an interview change.

My wife is from China but was a perm resident of Japan at the time. She lived and worked in Japan and took a temp assignment in China at the time of the I-130 filing. We requested Japan however, Per USCIS, she was resinding in China at the time so her case was assigned to Shanghai. After geeting the run around from USCIS, NVC, and Shanghai consulate we had to get our State Rep's and Senator's office involved. Eventually we were able to get our case transfered to Japan. 

TLDR: you'll get the run arround trying to transfer your case. If you hit a wall you'll probably need to get your State Reps involved. I got my House and Senate Rep's offic einvolved. It was pretty easy to contact and they usually have staff to assist with immigration problems. If you're from a larger state it might be a little different. 

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

7 hours ago, salman_shah said:

Not at all.   You’ll go through the same AP as if you were in Pakistan.

6 hours ago, Scott001 said:

We had kind of simmilar experiance requesting an interview change.

My wife is from China but was a perm resident of Japan at the time. She lived and worked in Japan and took a temp assignment in China at the time of the I-130 filing. We requested Japan however, Per USCIS, she was resinding in China at the time so her case was assigned to Shanghai. After geeting the run around from USCIS, NVC, and Shanghai consulate we had to get our State Rep's and Senator's office involved. Eventually we were able to get our case transfered to Japan. 

TLDR: you'll get the run arround trying to transfer your case. If you hit a wall you'll probably need to get your State Reps involved. I got my House and Senate Rep's offic einvolved. It was pretty easy to contact and they usually have staff to assist with immigration problems. If you're from a larger state it might be a little different. 

thankyou for sharing your experience and especially for letting me know that senators office may also be requested to intervene. i did not know that before..seemingly,  bouncing from one embassy to another will cost months of precious time so i am thinking to sticking with the pakistan embassy.. 

6 minutes ago, salman_shah said:

bouncing from one embassy to another will cost months of precious time so i am thinking to sticking with the pakistan embassy.

Trust me, you do not want to interview in Pakistan because of the wait. If you have a chance to transfer, do it. People who have been DQ (submitted all docs at NVC and waiting for the interview letter) in July 2021 are only now getting their interviews. They must have filed their I-130 in 2020. That’s a 3-4 year… 

You won’t have the problem of a transfer like that person did because the queue for China is not long so they didn’t change the consulate in time at NVC, it already got “shipped” to the consulate. You will not have that problem as Pakistan has that extremely long wait so your case will be just sitting in NVC and you’ll have plenty of time to change the consulate. 

Here is the thread with the wait times for ISL:

Edited by powerpuff

19 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Trust me, you do not want to interview in Pakistan because of the wait. If you have a chance to transfer, do it. People who have been DQ (submitted all docs at NVC and waiting for the interview letter) in July 2021 are only now getting their interviews. They must have filed their I-130 in 2020. That’s a 3-4 year… 

You won’t have the problem of a transfer like that person did because the queue for China is not long so they didn’t change the consulate in time at NVC, it already got “shipped” to the consulate. You will not have that problem as Pakistan has that extremely long wait so your case will be just sitting in NVC and you’ll have plenty of time to change the consulate. 

Here is the thread with the wait times for ISL:

man you are scaring me 😮 .. how accurate and reliable is the information presented in this PAK USA IMMIGRATION page... ?? i mean where do they get their information.. do embassies make this information about waiting timesn public ?? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.