Emphasis-

F1 Visa Revoked at interview

13 posts in this topic

Hi! Recently my student visa “renewal” was revoked in an interview at the consulate. My background is that I studied a professional program at a college with an F-1 visa. Mi first and only student visa was issued for 5 years. So I went to the US completed the professional program within the period and then worked in something related to my field of study under CPT and OPT. Then I decided to enroll for an Associate Degree at the same institution, and requested an I-20 for that degree (I-20 got transferred from previous program to the AS program). Completed DS-160, got an appointment, and went to the consulate for the interview. 

Took my fingerprints and then went to the interview with the officer. Right away she told me “why did you take 4 years to complete a 2 year program” I told her that in the first 2 years I completed the program (this is normal and also COVID stopped and delayed classes) and the other 2 (actually less) I worked under CPT and OPT. Then she asked me why I want to study the degree. I answered because I want to expand my knowledge for my profession. And that didn’t convince her and told me that I have enough experience to work in my country (which is technically true but in reality is kinda difficult to get hired at that level of experience) and it doesn’t make sense to me study that. The unlucky part is that she had experience or background in my profession. Then she asked me about my sister (US citizen, 18 y/o) that is in the US. She asked me where she lives? I answered and then she said oh 10 minutes away and I told her that actually was 3 hours away. She said oh you want to get the residence from her which I answered that’s not my intention because is going to take a lot of time and she cannot even file for me at that age. She had a negative vibe since the beginning and was denying student and visitor visas to people before me pretty fast. She finally proceeded to revoke my current at that time student visa. 

I will try again to get a visa back with an I-20 the same institution send me. Any tips for the next interview? I will be clear that my intention is to come back to my home country after I get more experience with the AS and that in my country there’s no education (not even similar) like the one I’m trying to study in the US!

TY!

Apply again will not change the situation. Will show that you are really desperate.

Remember that a visa is not a right. They can give you one or not. They gave you any option to appeal?

What is your home country? Because this can play a role too.

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He cannot appeal, he can reapply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Student visas are NIVs, so the COs are required by law to assume immigration intent.  It appears that the CO you had was not convinced you would return to your home country with your new application, so I agree with @Boiler, I would start looking for educational or work in your home country.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline

You may want to take some time off, get an internship in your country. I do think the fact you returned to your country is a good sign. But you may just need to give it some time, get an internship, and a job offer in writing for when you get the associates degree. The question is though, after the associates degree are you going to go for another degree? 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
10 hours ago, Emphasis- said:

Hi! Recently my student visa “renewal” was revoked in an interview at the consulate. My background is that I studied a professional program at a college with an F-1 visa. Mi first and only student visa was issued for 5 years. So I went to the US completed the professional program within the period and then worked in something related to my field of study under CPT and OPT. Then I decided to enroll for an Associate Degree at the same institution, and requested an I-20 for that degree (I-20 got transferred from previous program to the AS program). Completed DS-160, got an appointment, and went to the consulate for the interview. 

Took my fingerprints and then went to the interview with the officer. Right away she told me “why did you take 4 years to complete a 2 year program” I told her that in the first 2 years I completed the program (this is normal and also COVID stopped and delayed classes) and the other 2 (actually less) I worked under CPT and OPT. Then she asked me why I want to study the degree. I answered because I want to expand my knowledge for my profession. And that didn’t convince her and told me that I have enough experience to work in my country (which is technically true but in reality is kinda difficult to get hired at that level of experience) and it doesn’t make sense to me study that. The unlucky part is that she had experience or background in my profession. Then she asked me about my sister (US citizen, 18 y/o) that is in the US. She asked me where she lives? I answered and then she said oh 10 minutes away and I told her that actually was 3 hours away. She said oh you want to get the residence from her which I answered that’s not my intention because is going to take a lot of time and she cannot even file for me at that age. She had a negative vibe since the beginning and was denying student and visitor visas to people before me pretty fast. She finally proceeded to revoke my current at that time student visa. 

I will try again to get a visa back with an I-20 the same institution send me. Any tips for the next interview? I will be clear that my intention is to come back to my home country after I get more experience with the AS and that in my country there’s no education (not even similar) like the one I’m trying to study in the US!

TY!

There is a lot of good schools outside of US. Germany has very good schools and tuition is free for international students

23 hours ago, Emphasis- said:

I’m from a South American country 

Argentina is a great place too. You can obviously try to apply again.

Just one question. How come your 18 years sister a US citizen? Since birth? Is your parents residents too?  Because maybe this part of your life is what are making them assuming that you will also try to stay here.

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.