flabbyshins

Adding New Born to existing F2A [merged threads]

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am a GC holder in the US and my wife and son are in India waiting for our F2A IL since being DQ'd in Sept 2021. We had our second child in Nov' 22.

Can someone please shed some light on whether I need to add the newborn to the existing application and submit DS-260 or is there any other alternative to it?

Will adding him push the DQ date to the present date?

Thanks

You want the child to immigrate as well? Yes, you need to get him added. 

Warning: if you’re anywhere near naturalization - make no further steps to include taking oath UNTIL your family members are in the US. If You take oath before family is with immigrant visas and in the US you will have to do two additional I-130s for children and have to wait for USCIS/NVC/Embassy processes to be over. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Well newborns also need medical exam and oftentimes local medical exam office won’t schedule it until you have the visa number/appointment for child. Kind of catch 22. Why not contact the embassy where they’ll interview with your NVC number in subject line plus adding a derivative and provide all details and ask for next steps. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

Here is what I read, this is from a US Embassy from a different country, but I am pretty sure that this is a standard, however if you want to double check, please contact your embassy. 

reference: Ask the Consul - Adding Derivatives or FTJs - U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic (usembassy.gov)

Did you know? You can add a “derivative” to your immigrant visa petition just by accessing your CEAC application! You will need all of their information, including first and last name, method of contact, and relationship to the principal applicant. Keep in mind that a derivative can be either a spouse or a child younger than 21 years of the principal applicant. You can make this change from the case summary page’s status chart. Go to the list of visa applicants under “Applicant Information”, click on the drop down box and select either “follow-to-join” if you’d like the derivative to travel later, or “accompanying” if you’d like the derivative to travel with you. The change will be reflected one or two hours after making the selection.

Don’t forget! Once you have made your selection, fill out the required application forms, obtain the required civil documents, pay the required fees, undergo the required medical examinations, and schedule your appointment at the Visa Applicant Center.

If you want to add a derivative but already have your Embassy interview scheduled, please let the Embassy know before the interview – our contact information is on the paperwork you received. You will still need to complete all required processes – their own application, civil documents, medical exam, VAC visit, and pay all required fees. Keep in mind that if you’d like your child to travel with you, they need to be present at your interview!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

@flabbyshins did you add your newborn? Did NVC use the new DQ date to schedule your interview? 
I am in same situation and I will appreciate your input on the options available.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:17 AM, Jannati said:

@flabbyshins did you add your newborn? Did NVC use the new DQ date to schedule your interview? 
I am in same situation and I will appreciate your input on the options available.

I have added my newborn and submitted the required documents. Still awaiting acceptance. I will post the update once they're accepted. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 1/8/2023 at 9:24 PM, milimelo said:

You want the child to immigrate as well? Yes, you need to get him added. 

Warning: if you’re anywhere near naturalization - make no further steps to include taking oath UNTIL your family members are in the US. If You take oath before family is with immigrant visas and in the US you will have to do two additional I-130s for children and have to wait for USCIS/NVC/Embassy processes to be over. 

Isn't child born to US citizen abroad will automatically get US citizenship and passport?

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 2/6/2023 at 3:19 AM, flabbyshins said:

I have added my newborn and submitted the required documents. Still awaiting acceptance. I will post the update once they're accepted. 

Please any update on your case?

On 2/14/2023 at 9:55 PM, MK_Dallas said:

Isn't child born to US citizen abroad will automatically get US citizenship and passport?

OP is a green card holder, not a US citizen.  And children born to USCs may not necessarily acquire US citizenship automatically.  Certain conditions must be met, one of which is that the parent must already be a USC at the time of the child's birth.  Not applicable in the case of this OP.  If the OP naturalizes before their child gets an immigrant visa, they will have to start the child's immigration process from scratch with a new I-130.

• 1 month later...

Priority Date - 30-SEP-2019
Category - F2A

My DQ date was updated from August 2021 to February 2023 after I added our new born to our F2A application.

Will removing my new born from the application set the date back to the old DQ date?

Is there a way to get the date back to the old one?

The new date will mean more wait time and it has been more than 4 years since we've been apart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  How do you know the DQ date was changed?  

2.  Why would you want to remove the child?

3.  No, I don't think you can improve your DQ date.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 hours ago, flabbyshins said:

Will removing my new born from the application set the date back to the old DQ date?

You've decided not to bring the baby?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.