Daphne .

To file or not to file?

49 posts in this topic

Like others have mentioned, an important reason for me was the ability to leave the U.S. for long periods and return without a problem. A few months after my naturalization, I won a fellowship and moved to Europe for over 10 months, something that could have caused some difficulties as LPR.

Another minor reason which nobody mentioned is the recreational use of marijuana (the OP can relate to that as a Dutch citizen) - even if you live in a state where such use is legal, under federal immigration law it's still punishable, and could lead to deportation. While I'm hardly a heavy user, I'd like to have the freedom to do it without any legal ramifications.

Finally, regarding taxes: if you live abroad on a permanent basis, you can enjoy an annual exclusion of up to  $112,000 (in 2022) from your foreign-earned income, and even if you earn more than that sum, you can use foreign tax credit on top of that. In addition, there are tax treaties between the U.S. and many countries to avoid dual taxing. So unless you make a boatload of money, you should be fine wherever you live.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Marieke H said:

I definitely see the benefits of getting US citizenship in your situation! I think the country of origin is a huge factor in determining if and when applying for US citizenship is important.

100%!

If I had a passport from a EU country, I might have been hesitating just like OP!

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

1 minute ago, Visitor User said:

Are there any cons to becoming a USC?

Several. It costs a lot of money, and there are hoops to jump through. Many people will have to give up the citizenship of their country of origin, which could in some cases cause issues with travelling back or owning property in their country of origin.

There really are lots of pros and cons, and they very much depend on personal background and preferences, as illustrated in this thread. I can totally relate to anyone who posted here about their reasons for applying for citizenship or not applying.

45 minutes ago, Veggie3 said:

Another minor reason which nobody mentioned is the recreational use of marijuana (the OP can relate to that as a Dutch citizen) - even if you live in a state where such use is legal, under federal immigration law it's still punishable, and could lead to deportation. While I'm hardly a heavy user, I'd like to have the freedom to do it without any legal ramifications.

Believe it or not, not every Dutch person smokes pot :) Actually, I am not a big fan of it at all.. This is not on my pro-con list.

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

39 minutes ago, .yana said:

100%!

If I had a passport from a EU country, I might have been hesitating just like OP!

Yes, apart from not having to deal with USCIS, it is not really an "upgrade" or good addition for me. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

45 minutes ago, OldUser said:

You're getting visa free access to:

- Canada

Not a plus for citizenship anymore, as LPRs now also have visa/eTA-free access to Canada :dance:  Just show up at the border or airport with your passport and GC.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My understanding….

Estate tax always used to exempt the surviving estate that was passed to the surviving spouse.  In the 1980s Congress passed a law denying this e demotion to all non citizen surviving spouses as Congress believed surviving spouses, including LPRs were taking the estate outside the USA, and thus forever keeping out of control of the IRS.  

Back when the estate tax exempted the first $600,000 of the estate this  was a problem for surviving LPR spouses. 

It’s now over $12,000,000 (soon to be over $13,000,000 I think) and so the lack of an estate tax exemption doesn’t affect most surviving LPR spouses when it comes to paying the actual tax.  

However

* some couples have a revocable living trust instead of a wills so that probate is avoided.  AFAIK  a revocable living trust requires at least one trustee be a U.S. citizen. 

* there is an annual limit ($164,000 in 2022) on gifts to a non citizen spouse

Thanks Mike I’ll check again.

I don’t want to hijack in case it is far from the subject, but wanted to leave here what I learnt back when we were buying our house.

what we were told was that transfer upon death does not recognize these marital exemptions when the US citizen is the one who passed first. I’m not the most knowledgeable though.

I admit to just feeling pissed and scared of having to think losing my spouse at that moment 😅

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
29 minutes ago, Naes said:

what we were told was that transfer upon death does not recognize these marital exemptions when the US citizen is the one who passed first. 

Where did I say otherwise ?

I said it doesn’t matter to most couples  now than the $600K estate tax exemption (which not a marital exemption) is over 12 million dollars.  

Let’s say you are a non citizen who inherited $11M from your U.S. citizen friend.  The estate pays exactly zero dollars in estate tax.  The heir gets exactly $11M after probate fees. 

Now s/friend/spouse/

Yes your spousal exemption is zeroed out.  But there was no spousal exemption when the deceased was your friend.  Either way  the estate still pays exactly zero dollars in estate tax.  The heir still gets exactly $11M after probate fees.  

Now if in fact the citizen spouse in your  marriage has a net worth of over $12M, then my personal opinion is that it would wise for the other  spouse to naturalize, regardless of the  disadvantages of U.S. citizenship.  Otherwise the non citizen spouse in your marriage is facing the permanent loss of millions of dollars of assets to the IRS (but that portion of those assets in excess of $12M).   

Edited by Mike E

@Daphne .I totally understand your dilemma. I never wanted to apply for N400 but the last administration made me more determined than ever to want to do in order to protect myself. I came on a K1 back in 2018 but never felt safe or felt it was good enough (despite being legit) due to the momentum and hatred built towards legal immigrants. 

I don’t see me living the rest of my life here as it’s not my home nor do I want it to be. There is so much hatred here but I do me and let born raised people here do them- not all US citizens are like that of course!!!!!!!!

My penny thought is to apply as long run you save money/protect yourself in addition giving yourself flexibility to leaving for years then coming back. 

Edited by Vegas i-751

On 11/21/2022 at 4:42 PM, Crazy Cat said:

Great post!  Personally, I think the fact that that you can finally get away from USCIS as a huge benefit.  Without filing your N-400, who knows how long it will take for USCIS to process your I-751.   In addition, becoming a citizen is less expensive in the long term.  In my wife's case, I think the China/Taiwan situation played a significant part in her decision to apply.  

Couldn’t agree more. We all have our different reasons for applying. Our current administration inspired me to apply to protect myself as a gay man who came here legitimately on a K1. But I do agree it would no longer requires us to deal with USCIS. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
On 11/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, AOSFairfax said:

I would tend to agree with all the reasons provided here in favor of naturalizing (ease of every day life, not dealing with USCIS, can move abroad without worrying about keeping GC, more options for the future, etc). One thing that I haven't yet seen mentioned, is the ability to vote. And not just Presidential or US Congress / Senate elections but also, and perhaps most importantly, local elections. The ability to have a say in laws and regulations that impact your daily life I don't think can be overlooked. And it's definitely a privilege not everyone around the world has.

I was reluctant mentioning politics but that was one of my reasons. We pay the same taxes as current citizens so yeah i would like to have a say in what my hard earned money is spent on! I actually can't wait to vote in the next election cycle. Hopefully by then my application will be adjudicated and will be able to vote!

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.