Jaswin

How i get rid of i864 as a US citizen primary sponsor

22 posts in this topic

Hi Guys 

Thanks being there to help during issues. Myself a US citizen filed i130 for spouse and a strp child (21 + years ) .They got IR1/ IR2 visa and entered to US in march 2022. They got their green card in 60 days. They were nice until get their green cards. 

I realized that my spouse married me for green card. My marriage is irretrievable and i want divorce but she is threatening me to take me to the court since i signed i864. I am feeling helpless. Help me please...thanks  

Edited by Jaswin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes, from Bringing Family of USC - as similar threads are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Are they working? Alimony is pretty unusual 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

What country?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Timona said:

What country?

Based on 

I will guess India.  

Based on other posts about I-864, mom doesn’t seem likely to get a state divorce court to award much in alimony either; $29K in income. That’s lot of coin in India but here not so much.  

Edited by Mike E

5 hours ago, Jaswin said:

Hi Guys 

Thanks being there to help during issues. Myself a US citizen filed i130 for spouse and a strp child (21 + years ) .They got IR1/ IR2 visa and entered to US in march 2022. They got their green card in 60 days. They were nice until get their green cards. 

I realized that my spouse married me for green card. My marriage is irretrievable and i want divorce but she is threatening me to take me to the court since i signed i864. I am feeling helpless. Help me please...thanks  

Edited 5 hours ago by Jaswin

Ouch, I feel your pain. How on earth did your wife even get so sophisticated to threaten I-864 lawsuit on short notice ? Is she highly educated or has a ready made “ support “ group in the US? 

If you are absolutely certain that your marriage is broken, then file divorce now , serve her and let the chips fall .

Lawyer up as @Mike E says, as best you can, just to make sure it gets done quickly. She can threaten all she wants, but she would need a pretty penny to hire her own attorney to sue for I-864. 

Are you saying she doesn’t want to divorce you….or refuses to leave the house? 

Your story was very touching , when you were rushing to rent a bigger place to welcome “ your family”…because your place was too small to accommodate them…

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Never heard of an I 864 case where the parties were not divorced

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks Everyone for responding quickly..

Yes they both were working  and my step child saved 15k in 8 months and contributed none. She was not helping in dusting  or cleaning the home not even cleaning her dishes. I was cleaning her dishes. My spouse is still working . she starts at 5am to 10pm ( 112 hrs /weeks ) . i am not getting her time and feels lonely. She is working for her daughter to send money to india . she saved 20k which she transfer to india but she is contributing 50% of my rent and i take care of the rest including other expenses and grocery . inam Dropping and picking her up without any break since she started working .

Step child left week ago for India to get marry in jan ending 2023 and my spouse will join her in Dec ending . Do u think my i864 obligation will come to an end once my step child get marry for my stepchild at least. 

Should i wait for my spouse to become a US citizen before divorce or hire a lawyer ?? I have no idea ...planning to go back to Himalayas for few months and will wait until she become Citizen . what do u think? 

4 minutes ago, Jaswin said:

u think my i864 obligation will come to an end once my step child get marry for my stepchild at least. 

Should i wait for my spouse to become a US citizen before divorce or hire a lawyer ?? I have no idea ...planning to go back to Himalayas for few months and will wait until she become Citizen . what do u think? 

The I-864 is only a reality IF they get an attorney file in federal court …so they would have to get smart and expensive lawyers…but it only helps those who don’t want to work and earn no income….it doesn’t seem to be your problem at all….these two only work.

The “obligation “ ends when they both become citizen, but again they’re probably not going to give up making money for their own family…and with step son getting married, the family is growing. He will not sue you and risk not being able to sponsor his new wife.

There is no room between 5 am to 10 pm work schedule..for any kind of home life, I agree. ..so maybe accept you picked the wrong partner…if you don’t feel like you belong in “ the family “.

You don’t have to stay married, divorce and move on.  Find peace wherever you can

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 hours ago, Jaswin said:

,does  my i864 obligation as a primary sponsor will come to end once my step child get marry. 

No, sorry. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jaswin said:

Do u think my i864 obligation will come to an end once my step child get marry for my stepchild at least. 

No, it will not.  As I said, it is in your best interest that they both become US citizens as soon as possible.  File for divorce and seek happiness for yourself.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.