Angela256z

Failed - What next?

50 posts in this topic

My husband failed the civics test.  He had to get six out of 10 right.  However, most of these questions asked to him were not even in the 2008 practice test.  His letter says he can try again.  Do we wait for them to assign an interview or do I need to do something to get him a re-take?  

I am so frustrated.  I honestly didn't know he needed to know all this stuff about our own state (my fault I didn't see the test updates section on the USCIS site).  He was asked who our state Representative was and he said one of the two so they marked him wrong. The practice test says he only had to name one.  I feel like he got a bad guy.  He asked him to read something and it said U.S.  My husband said United States and the guy was like you know it doesn't say that.  It says U.S. He was also asked why do people immigrate to the US? My husband said for freedoms like Religion.  That was wrong.  If someone could tell me what that answer is supposed to be that would be great because I don't see it anywhere.  

Feeling so defeated guys.  So frustrated. So torn.  

* 21 APR 2016 - 90 Days before husbands conditional green card expires

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Work Family Investment are the 3 main categories 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

You stress yourself wayyy too much. 

He can take his time and review each of the 100 questions…perhaps print them out.

It’s not a big obstacle at all and he can prepare for the next exam. 

They will reschedule him and send you a notice. 

Try looking at #58 for the question…

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/100q.pdf

3 minutes ago, Family said:

You stress yourself wayyy too much. 

He can take his time and review each of the 100 questions…perhaps print them out.

It’s not a big obstacle at all and he can prepare for the next exam. 

They will reschedule him and send you a notice. 

Try looking at #58 for the question…

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/100q.pdf

Thank you.  I do stress over it.  That is just me and who I am.  The problem is that some of the questions he was asked were not even on the practice test.  I will look at this link and see if they are different.  He was asked Why do people immigrate to the US?  Like there are a million different answers yet we couldn't find one on line for this one. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Angela256z said:

My husband failed the civics test.  He had to get six out of 10 right.  However, most of these questions asked to him were not even in the 2008 practice test.  His letter says he can try again.  Do we wait for them to assign an interview or do I need to do something to get him a re-take?  

I am so frustrated.  I honestly didn't know he needed to know all this stuff about our own state (my fault I didn't see the test updates section on the USCIS site).  He was asked who our state Representative was and he said one of the two so they marked him wrong. The practice test says he only had to name one.  I feel like he got a bad guy.  He asked him to read something and it said U.S.  My husband said United States and the guy was like you know it doesn't say that.  It says U.S. He was also asked why do people immigrate to the US? My husband said for freedoms like Religion.  That was wrong.  If someone could tell me what that answer is supposed to be that would be great because I don't see it anywhere.  

Feeling so defeated guys.  So frustrated. So torn.  

Utah has 4 state reps

Utah's US Representatives · Blake Moore (R), 1st District · Chris Stewart (R), 2nd District · John Curtis (R), 3rd District · Burgess Owens (R), 4th District .

He came from England where he has religious freedoms

he was suppose to come to be with his wife

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Utah has 4 state reps

Utah's US Representatives · Blake Moore (R), 1st District · Chris Stewart (R), 2nd District · John Curtis (R), 3rd District · Burgess Owens (R), 4th District .

He came from England where he has religious freedoms

he was suppose to come to be with his wife

Thank you.  I will add that to his test to make sure he names them all next time.  He only named one of them, but the guy said name Utah's state Representative he didn't use a plural so I am guessing he thought he could name just one.  

He didn't apply as a spouse.  He applied under the 5 year rule.  And the question was not Why did you immigrate.  It was why do people immigrate. Feels off to me to have been an answer about himself when it was not spoken that way.  

1 minute ago, Angela256z said:

Thank you.  I do stress over it.  That is just me and who I am.  The problem is that some of the questions he was asked were not even on the practice test.  I will look at this link and see if they are different.  He was asked Why do people immigrate to the US?  Like there are a million different answers yet we couldn't find one on line for this one

The link I sent you is directly from the horse’s mouth…so to speak. …post a link to what he used to prepare if not the one I sent you….perhaps that’s where the problem is. 

Either way, now the two of you can have fun practicing for a few weeks… That’s an order! 😂 

While the practice test is great to test yourself, it only includes 20 random questions out of the 100. He needs to study all 100 questions and their answers, and not just hope that all 100 will eventually show up if he does the practice test over and over.

The question about reasons to immigrate is probably the question referenced by @Family above.

7 minutes ago, Angela256z said:

I don't understand why you are all so concerned.  Do you not support your spouses in things?  Should I not help him practice?  I went and looked up the practice test and failed to see there were updates.  However, honestly the only question he got from the updates he got right, but the guy at the office still marked him wrong.  

You wont unfortunately get an answer to the nose poking practiced here. But yes what you are doing is a great thing. It shows you really care for him.

So there are about 100 Qs, they dont change.  I am unsure if they still use the "Trump" (new version) test questions or the original 2008 civics. I remember for some time they did and would ask which question set you wish to answer.

Either ways, he gets a second shot at it. If he fails again only then the application will be denied.

4 minutes ago, Angela256z said:

but the guy said name Utah's state Representative he didn't use a plural so I am guessing he thought he could name just one.  

@JeanneAdil gave you the answer for that …and the question itself on the test is not plural…but the answer gives you a clue that it varies 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Angela256z said:

Thank you.  I will add that to his test to make sure he names them all next time.  He only named one of them, but the guy said name Utah's state Representative he didn't use a plural so I am guessing he thought he could name just one.  

He didn't apply as a spouse.  He applied under the 5 year rule.  And the question was not Why did you immigrate.  It was why do people immigrate. Feels off to me to have been an answer about himself when it was not spoken that way.  

he was suppose to name the guy who was his district rep / they don't all represent all the state according to my house rep

4 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

While the practice test is great to test yourself, it only includes 20 random questions out of the 100. He needs to study all 100 questions and their answers, and not just hope that all 100 will eventually show up if he does the practice test over and over.

The question about reasons to immigrate is probably the question referenced by @Family above.

Yeah he took the practice test multiple times and always got 95+%  I also practices with him and at most he would only get a couple wrong.  

I looked at 58.  He said Religious Freedom which is an answer.  Do you think he wanted more than one answer?  

Thank you all for helping. Just want to work with him so he is ready next time. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.