Tidusel94

Too soon to leave? (Green Card)

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Tidusel94 said:

I guess this is the issue. Everywhere online and even the two lawyers I’ve consulted with is saying different things. Which makes me afraid of leaving. 

What do the Lawyers say is a negative?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

What do the Lawyers say is a negative?

One says That I can leave right now but it’s good if I stick it out another month so I have 3 months in record with the company. Another lawyer says I should never leave earlier than 6 months.. it’s hard to navigate around when even lawyers are stating different things. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Tidusel94 said:

One says That I can leave right now but it’s good if I stick it out another month so I have 3 months in record with the company. Another lawyer says I should never leave earlier than 6 months.. it’s hard to navigate around when even lawyers are stating different things. 

Sounds like you obtained opinions did you ask why they think this?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Tidusel94 said:

Not more than “ this is what we usually recommend “ lol

You will get the same here 

For free

I’d be going to DOL on non-payment for work performed issues. Try looking up Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. 

And next time you want to raise issues on pay hours missing, email - even if it’s just to “memorialize our phone conversation on X date, time, when I raised pay discrepancy you advised - here’s my supporting timesheet provided to HR for X number of hours while me pay statement is showing y number of hours. Please provide contract/timekeeping SOP whatever saying employees need to work for Z number of hours for free as I’d love to consult with Department of Labor on forced unpaid work hours”. 

Email gives you timeline, and often serves as the starting point (for example EEO issues which you could potentially use -have 45 days time limit from the day the incident happens or you’re made aware-  being an immigrant from X country, employer retaliated against me by forcing me to forfeit worked hours thus reducing my salary by X percent over the course of X months in contravention to hiring contract signed on z date) … 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you switch companies too quickly, you could get into a world of hurt with USCIS trust me particularly if the company chooses to be vindictive. As someone pointed out, hang on for at least another four months. It’s a small price to pay in my opinion however you’re entitled to do what you choose.

Good luck!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
30 minutes ago, Tidusel94 said:

What kind of trouble? Why would USCIS come after me since the job is abusive? Can the employer report me? Would they? Since they are also breaking rules lol

It’s your choice.

https://www.mmhpc.com/how-long-must-i-remain-with-the-employer-that-sponsored-me-after-getting-my-green-card/

I’m out. 

Good luck!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tidusel94 said:

What kind of trouble? Why would USCIS come after me since the job is abusive? Can the employer report me? Would they? Since they are also breaking rules lol

If you decide to apply for citizenship, they might look at your work history and see you were with your first employer for 1-2 months They might think you "used" that employer, and took advantage of them to get a green card. It wouldn't be fraud necessarily, but it would be suspicious at a minimum (in the eyes of USCIS).

If, however, you had documentation showing that the employer didn't hold up their end of the deal (less pay than you were offered, making you work w/out pay, all the things you have mentioned), then USCIS would have no reason be to suspicious.

I'll put it like this: USCIS can assume the worst, and it is your job to make it clear that is NOT the case, and you did everything you were supposed to do.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

It’s quite clear that you are going to do what you want to do, because no matter how many times different people tell you to stick with it for four months, and you get argumentative.  But sometimes getting what you want is not always good. This is one of those instances. 
If you leave now, then down the road for naturalization it can be a problem because they might think you’ve used them to get the green card. And @Mike E posted a Reddit thread in which they were going as far back as 1993. 
Best thing to do is to document everything , from emails to log of hours etc etc, then leave at the six months mark. Peace of mind for the N400

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Why bother asking for advice and then not listen to what people are telling you? Seriously? This entire thread just keeps going around in a circle.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.