paw0222

Health care insurance for elderly parents

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, my mother just arrive here in the US under IR-5. Now I was trying to find a health care insurance for her. I have been in contact on private ones but the cost is really high. We live in Georgia State and I applied her recently for a coverage and still waiting for it. Just wanted to know what to do if Medicaid does not approve her application. She is 69 years old. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving here and Your New Life, from Bringing Family of USC - the health insurance topic comes up often here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Your mother is not eligible for Medicaid as she has not paid into it. New immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid until 5 years have passed. This is where you come in as her sponsor. You had to show you will provide for her when you applied for her as per you affidavit of support. 

Yes, we are aware of the high cost of healthcare for elderly. We have seen this scenario numerous times on VJ. Unfortunately, like many others before you, you are getting the sticker shock. 

You, or rather your mother, may have some reprieve. There are numerous healthcare options that are affordable. Many are state level. But try to stay away from federal benefits like Medicaid as it may cause problems down the road. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

Your mother is not eligible for Medicaid as she has not paid into it. New immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid until 5 years have passed. This is where you come in as her sponsor. You had to show you will provide for her when you applied for her as per you affidavit of support. 

Yes, we are aware of the high cost of healthcare for elderly. We have seen this scenario numerous times on VJ. Unfortunately, like many others before you, you are getting the sticker shock. 

You, or rather your mother, may have some reprieve. There are numerous healthcare options that are affordable. Many are state level. But try to stay away from federal benefits like Medicaid as it may cause problems down the road. 

I think you are confusing Medicare with Medicaid. She is not eligible for Medicare for the reasons you mentioned. Some states have expanded Medicaid .. if Georgia does, she may be eligible. Only other options are ACA marketplace, which I have used, affordable ?? Depends on cover level and deductible you are prepared to live with.. and whether or not her finances qualify for reduced premiums. I budgeted 25k$ per year to cover premiums and deductible for each year we needed to be using marketplace insurance 

17 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

I think you are confusing Medicare with Medicaid. She is not eligible for Medicare for the reasons you mentioned. Some states have expanded Medicaid .. if Georgia does, she may be eligible. Only other options are ACA marketplace, which I have used, affordable ?? Depends on cover level and deductible you are prepared to live with.. and whether or not her finances qualify for reduced premiums. I budgeted 25k$ per year to cover premiums and deductible for each year we needed to be using marketplace insurance 

Ah, yes. I must have confused the two. Thanks for clearing that up and great advice for the OP.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Your elderly parents are not eligible for Medicare due to never working in the US as they don't have 40 qualifying quarters. 

They may apply for Medicaid with the state Department of Social Services after being an LPR for five years. Be aware that even after five years, portion of your/sponsor's income and assets will be counted/deemed. Which essentially may put you parents over income for the program. 

Best advice I can give is for the parents to become US Citizens ASAP. Meanwhile you will have to pay for their healthcare. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
39 minutes ago, discoverusa said:

Best advice I can give is for the parents to become US Citizens ASAP. Meanwhile you will have to pay for their healthcare. 

Naturalization can only happen after 5 yrs LPR.. so it will be close to 6 years from entry until its finalized. Even when they are USCs, they will have to pay for Medicare Part A as they don't have SS quarters.. as well as Parts B and D. Currently Part A is around $450-500 monthly each and Part B is $170ish each. Still not cheap 

Edited by Lil bear

58 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Naturalization can only happen after 5 yrs LPR.. so it will be close to 6 years from entry until its finalized. Even when they are USCs, they will have to pay for Medicare Part A as they don't have SS quarters.. as well as Parts B and D. Currently Part A is around $450-500 monthly each and Part B is $170ish each. Still not cheap 

I guess we all know that applying for US Citizenship occurs after five years as an LPR.

Even if Mom becomes a US Citizen it doesn't change the fact that she hasn't earned any quarters in US. 

I don't know about Georgia, but in CT an elderly LPR (after five years) or US Citizen with no qualifying quarters can apply for Medicare and conditionally enroll into Medicare. SSA will give such individual a statement showing how much Part A and Part B will cost. 

Then the LPR (after five years) or US Citizen with no quarters can apply with the state (DSS) for MSP which is a Medicare Savings Program which would buy in Part A and B for such individual. Of course deeming of sponsor's income and assets would still be required. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
9 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Medicaid is state insurance. Medicare is federal.

Woops, I saw someone already told you this after I wrote my comment. My apologies.

Edited by Cathi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Were you not aware that your mom is not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare? 

The only way to get it for her is to buy insurance through the open market (Obamacare) and the cost depends on what coverage you choose.

3 hours ago, Cathi said:

Were you not aware that your mom is not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare? 

The only way to get it for her is to buy insurance through the open market (Obamacare) and the cost depends on what coverage you choose.

I pay 1300 for insurance for me and my wife, thru Open Market I have Ambetter. Me and my wife have no medical issues, not on any drugs and my ortho told me Ambetter is the same level as Medicare as far as paying for services

So paying more doesn't always insure better coverage via open market.  I miss the days when you could choose your insurance and didn't hav to pay an arm and leg for insurance.

13 hours ago, paw0222 said:

Hello everyone, my mother just arrive here in the US under IR-5. Now I was trying to find a health care insurance for her. I have been in contact on private ones but the cost is really high. We live in Georgia State and I applied her recently for a coverage and still waiting for it. Just wanted to know what to do if Medicaid does not approve her application. She is 69 years old. 

This might help.

Most hospitals and doctors will charge much less than what insurance pays if you are self pay, which means you don't have insurance or you pay cash.

The medical industry in the USA is based on insurance, Say for example a office visit is 175 and if you pay insurance it's only $60, if you are self pay it may be $50.

Plus if you have any services done or you are hosptilazed you can always negotiate your bill, pretty common practice.

I just wanted to share my experience of bringing in siblings to the US on F4.

Back in 2004, I filed I-130’s for my sister and brother. Their visas were finally issued in 2020. However because of the pandemic, both of them (and their families) could not get here. Visas finally expired. Had to reapply and finally the two families arrived in 2021 December! Eight people all together. It was difficult! All of a sudden 8 new people in my house. I already have my mother and my wife and two teenage children living in my house. The house hold swelled to 13 people overnight! It has been terrible in the last few months. Utility bills, water bills grocery bills etc. etc. thru the roof! My wife and teenagers are up in arms. The new immigrant’s children are all school aged and goes to school. They have to be dropped off and picked up (No school bus, because the schools are within 2 miles of my house). All adult immigrants found jobs and are employed. All of them got jobs that pays around $20.00 an hour! They do share some grocery bills etc. I am unable to find suitable apartments for them to house them because apartment rents have significantly gone up! A two bedroom apartment in North East (NY, NJ) is around $2500.00 a month. They don’t make enough money yet to be on their own! None of them have health insurance yet! No employer paid insurance because all of them on probation! They managed to buy two used cars. But being new drivers auto insurance is too high! $1800.00 for one car, one driver! I hope and pray that none of them get sick or need to be hospitalized! Due to inflation and high cost of gas, prices have gone up for everything! I am just venting here on VJ! So anyone sponsoring and bringing in family - be prepared for the worst!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.