Minori

You can work and Pay tax without EAD

28 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Marriage does not confer any immigration benefit.  It is not legal to work in the United States without a authorization (EAD).   

Friend may file taxes as MFJ with ITIN.

I don’t think she can file with her husband jointly because she run away from him and they can’t talk properly about that. And she has SSN. So I wonder if she files her tax without EAD, file separate from her husband and SSN? That doesn’t make sense since she doesn’t have EAD. Her lawyer said she would file as a sole proprietor, but usually need to get GE as sole proprietor… so the lawyer told her about those things only form one side as an immigrant lawyer but I don’t think she knows about tax things. I’m a sole proprietor and file tax by myself so I know better than her at least lol

Edited by Minori

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

if she is working illegally but still want to pay taxes, she definitely can. Why is it related to her immigration though? 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

3 minutes ago, davidvs said:

I'm always amazed by how much faith people have in lawyers. 

I know, right? I know they consider immigration and tax separately but still, I wouldn’t say that kind of thing if I can’t provide information published officially even if the client asked and need money.. I would say, “I don’t recommend that you work without EAD”. 

1 hour ago, Minori said:

I don’t think she can file with her husband jointly because she run away from him and they can’t talk properly about that. And she has SSN. So I wonder if she files her tax without EAD, file separate from her husband and SSN? That doesn’t make sense since she doesn’t have EAD. Her lawyer said she would file as a sole proprietor, but usually need to get GE as sole proprietor… so the lawyer told her about those things only form one side as an immigrant lawyer but I don’t think she knows about tax things. I’m a sole proprietor and file tax by myself so I know better than her at least lol

She needs an EAD to be able to work, full stop.

The ongoing VAWA thread here may be helpful.

With her SSN, she can file taxes.

10 hours ago, Minori said:

So that means IRS lets people work illegal, right? That’s why I want to know the link that provides if it’s official thing or not. 

IRS doesn't care if you are legally authorized to work in US, IRS also doesn't care if your income comes from illegal sources, only thing IRS cares about is that they get their cut.

That being said, can you legally work without an EAD as a spouse of US Citizen? No. At the same time however unauthorized employment doesn't prevent you from getting adjustment of status. Do I recommend doing so? No.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

The lawyer said to my friend that there is a limit hours or amount that you can work/make, so my friend will get the exact answer anyway. 

I think it depends on how interpret the law and the situation. The lawyer usually can’t tell you to recommend illegal but it must be something in gray zone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Minori said:

The lawyer said to my friend that there is a limit hours or amount that you can work/make, so my friend will get the exact answer anyway. 

I think it depends on how interpret the law and the situation. The lawyer usually can’t tell you to recommend illegal but it must be something in gray zone. 

Nope.  Are you sure this is a licensed attorney?  There is a limit before you must REPORT income.  But no one can legally work without proper authorization.  Please ask the "attorney" to join us here. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Minori said:

think it depends on how interpret the law and the situation

Working without proper authorization is illegal. Black or white, no room for interpretation (otherwise everyone would interpret the law as they wish).

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 hour ago, Minori said:

IRS and USCIS are completely separate agencies.   IRS has nothing to do with immigration.

There is no “gray area” when it comes to work authorization.   The law is well spelled out.

Anyone filing VAWA needs to be especially careful about their choices when it comes to maintaining status and adhering to laws and rules……

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 7/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, Minori said:

Thank you for the reply everyone here. The friend came here with K1 but she’s preparing for VAWA with her lawyer now. So she lives in a shelter and can’t work but she wants to sell her handmade things so she asked the lawyer, then her lawyer told her like that. I am also came here with K1 and working on Vawa, and I asked about a lot of things such as EAD, tax return and so on here on Visa journey since I started K1 but I’ve never known that even though some guys here are really knowledgeable about immigration laws and things. That’s why I want to make sure if it’s true and need to help the friend about tax return if she can earn money. I said her she should’ve get the link about the information from the lawyer if it’s true, otherwise it would be completely illegal. I know IRS and USCIS is different but I heard some people report others work under table here my states which has a lot of Japanese people which are secretly betray other Japanese friend. The friend and me don’t want to do something illegal. I will make sure her layer about that anyway. 

Preparing for VAWA and application being granted are two separate things, once the application for VAWA is approved you still have to file for i485 and file for EAD.

I think your friend misunderstood what the legal opinion was, (NOT THAT I CARE ABOUT LAWYERS AS THEY LIE OUT OF THEIR TEETH) and if a lawyer suggested to your friend that she can work while her AOS, EAD etc are pending its absolute rubbish.

There is a process and everyone has to go through the process.

As a lot of educated members here have mentioned that IRS don't care where you got the money from, so yes if she chooses to work illegally and pay taxes on illegal income, they will take the taxes. But it will backfire tremendously and will jeopardize your friends legal status in USA.

• Jan 26, 2021 = NOA 1 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Sep 8, 2021 = NOA 2 for I-129F (K1 Visa application)
  • Nov 16, 2021 =  K1 visa issued in Islamabad, Pakistan
  • Jan 20, 2022 = POE Dallas, Texas
  • Feb 14, 2022 = AOS (I-451, I-131, I765) Filed
  • Feb 20, 2022 = Receipt notice for all three received
  • March 21, 2022 = Biometrics in Dallas, Texas
  • August 9, 2022 = EAD (I-751 approved)
  • August 13, 2022 = EAD and SSN received (SSN applied with EAD)
  • September 6, 2022 = AP (I-131 approved)
  • September 13, 2022 = AP (I-131 receieved) 
  • March 15, 2023 = I-485 approved (interview waived, New SSN received without DHS wording)
  • March 31, 2023 = GC in hand (Total time from NOA-1 to GC in hand 794 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.