Khloe20

Has anyone got a CR1 visa after a K1?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I went to the US on a K1 visa last year but my fiancé and I felt extreme pressure to get married. We didn’t want to rush anything so I went back home. We are still together, we have a 2 year old and another baby on the way and are now thinking on going down the CR1 route. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Khloe20 said:

I went to the US on a K1 visa last year but my fiancé and I felt extreme pressure to get married. We didn’t want to rush anything so I went back home. We are still together, we have a 2 year old and another baby on the way and are now thinking on going down the CR1 route. 

Many people have gone this route .. lots of reasons .. taking extra time, K1 denied so they married and applied for the spouse visa, some realized after applying for the K1 that the spouse visa suited their meeds better …  your previous K1 will not impact a spouse visa application. Go for it ! 

Edited by Lil bear

~~ Topic moved from CR1/IR1 Progress Reports to Process ~~

You should go for CR1, it’s much more superior to K1 (this is coming from someone who did K1). As Lil Bear mentioned, many have successfully gone through CR1 after previous K1.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

~~ Topic moved from CR1/IR1 Progress Reports to Process ~~

You should go for CR1, it’s much more superior to K1 (this is coming from someone who did K1). As Lil Bear mentioned, many have successfully gone through CR1 after previous K1.

Thank you so much, how long does a CR1 take from start to finish? I know it takes about a year I just can’t believe we have to do all this paperwork again.

21 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Many people have gone this route .. lots of reasons .. taking extra time, K1 denied so they married and applied for the spouse visa, some realized after applying for the K1 that the spouse visa suited their meeds better …  your previous K1 will not impact a spouse visa application. Go for it ! 

Thank you so much 🙏🏼

Just now, Khloe20 said:

Thank you so much, how long does a CR1 take from start to finish? I know it takes about a year I just can’t believe we have to do all this paperwork again

Anywhere from 12-24 months. But it’s less paperwork as opposed to doing K1 and then having to do adjustment of status once in the states. Also due to backlogs K1 lost the speediness advantage a long time ago

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

yes it will take about 1 yr but the advantages of being able to work travel drive etc the momemt you enter the US is very very good !   Its no quicker now to do K1 so make the waiting time have the best outcome  ! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Khloe20 said:

We did K1 and CR1.  Ours was a different reason - we got married but my wife had to go back due to a family emergency.  They did ask about why we didn't adjust status from the K1 during her CR1 interview, and you may be asked about your K1 as well. 

Some tips:

• For Part 5, question 1:  "Have you ever previously filed a petition for this beneficiary or any other alien?"  Answer "Yes".  For Question 5, answer "APPROVED - K1".  (Remember, the I-130 is from the perspective of the USC petitioner).
  • In Section 9 - Additional Information, write a short description of the K1.  The K1 receipt number, the names of the petitioner and beneficiary, and that the K1 was approved.
  • If there is a way, add a cover letter explaining the approved K1 and that due to reasons you couldn't complete that immigration process are now applying for the CR1.  We did ours by paper filing and had that cover letter.  I am not sure if online filing allows you to add one.

This is all conjecture on my part, but I believe that the previously approved K1 sped up our CR1.  Our I-130 was approved in 3 months, in 2020.  I think USCIS had the background check information from the K1 and just needed to review the new information in the CR1 petition.  But this also could have been a lucky coincidence unrelated to the previous K1.  Expect the normal processing time, but have a bit of hope for speedier processing.

4 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:
  • If there is a way, add a cover letter explaining the approved K1 and that due to reasons you couldn't complete that immigration process are now applying for the CR1.  We did ours by paper filing and had that cover letter.  I am not sure if online filing allows you to add one.

For online filing, an explanation letter can be uploaded under the Additional Evidence section.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Khloe20 said:

Just remember that you MUST meet either during or after the marriage ceremony before an I-130 can be submitted.  Good luck!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
22 hours ago, Khloe20 said:

and are now thinking on going down the CR1 route

No problem doing CR1 after previous K1.

A few questions however, are you ready to get married now? Did you leave before your duration of stay expired (even less than 180 days overstay is also fine)? 

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I applied for my I130 through my husband in April 2021. To this date I still dont have my visa in hand, 16 months later.

Our case was approved March 12th 2022 after I filed a K3 additionally (which really helped) , it was then received by the NVC on April 29 2022.

Currently the NVC are working on the 13th of April so we are hoping to hear good news in the next few weeks. 

I booked my medical in the Mater hospital 2 months ago (even without my embassy appointment) as I wanted to have everything I need the second we get an embassy appointment. 

There is a 3 month wait for a medical appointment.

The purpose of telling you our timeline is to give you a real current representation of how long its taking.

It is heartbreakingly stressful but it will be worth it.

If you want to ask more questions you would sooner get me on instagram.

-> omcguinnessodonnell_

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/4/2022 at 3:58 PM, orlarose said:

Hey! I applied for my I130 through my husband in April 2021. To this date I still dont have my visa in hand, 16 months later.

Our case was approved March 12th 2022 after I filed a K3 additionally (which really helped) , it was then received by the NVC on April 29 2022.

Currently the NVC are working on the 13th of April so we are hoping to hear good news in the next few weeks. 

I booked my medical in the Mater hospital 2 months ago (even without my embassy appointment) as I wanted to have everything I need the second we get an embassy appointment. 

There is a 3 month wait for a medical appointment.

The purpose of telling you our timeline is to give you a real current representation of how long its taking.

It is heartbreakingly stressful but it will be worth it.

If you want to ask more questions you would sooner get me on instagram.

-> omcguinnessodonnell_

I followed you on Instagram!

Edited by Khloe20

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.