PWB

Hidden cost of processing a K1 Visa

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
42 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

It sounds like it is too late, and they've already paid all the money for the 2 exams and responded to the RFE (unless I am misreading the OP). 

But it is always good advice to post here about RFEs to get feedback and advice before responding and potentially forking out hundreds of dollars. 

The advise I followed was USCIS and since there is this rigid rule that you can not call the local office that was my only choice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 minute ago, PWB said:

The advise I followed was USCIS and since there is this rigid rule that you can not call the local office that was my only choice.

Did you call USCIS?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, beloved_dingo said:

It sounds like it is too late, and they've already paid all the money for the 2 exams and responded to the RFE (unless I am misreading the OP). 

But it is always good advice to post here about RFEs to get feedback and advice before responding and potentially forking out hundreds of dollars. 

It does look like you're right.  Thank you for pointing that out. 🙂

Timeline
39 minutes ago, PWB said:

First paragraph stated that the I-693 was incomplete because of missing immunization and I needed to submit an updated I-693.   Then the fourth paragraph said my wife needed to have a TDAP vaccination.  Knowing the doctor we used the first time was no longer available I was concerned about how to validate the I-693.  I called USCIS and was told that she would only need the vaccination and would not be required to complete the entire physical.   Once we found a new doctor he required a complete new physical, immunization's, blood work and  chest x-ray.   

I realize it's too late for you but, for anyone else who may read this, you could possibly have been able to find a civil surgeon who would do only the immunization part of the I-693 since the issue was only immunizations. We did. My husband didn't get the flu shot in Australia and his I-3025 was not marked complete so we decided to go to a CS and have them update his records with an I-693 just in case he needed it. We called several who were reasonably near us and found one who would do just the immunization update. My husband got the shot at CVS, brought that document to the CS and it cost us $100. I'm so sorry you wound up paying that much. It's really wrong for them to insist on doing the entire medical.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

There is no "hidden fee", it was your choice to not get all the vaccines in your home country and now have to complete it in the US instead. It's always recommended to have a COMPLETE vaccination sheet from the medical you have overseas, then you won't have to deal with anything medical once you get to the US. 

Since you, for whatever reason, opted out of getting all the required vaccines in your hole country, you should be able to find a UsCIS approved doctor in the US to give you the vaccine that is missing. You should not do the whole medical again (=expensive). 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

I realize it's too late for you but, for anyone else who may read this, you could possibly have been able to find a civil surgeon who would do only the immunization part of the I-693 since the issue was only immunizations. We did. My husband didn't get the flu shot in Australia and his I-3025 was not marked complete so we decided to go to a CS and have them update his records with an I-693 just in case he needed it. We called several who were reasonably near us and found one who would do just the immunization update. My husband got the shot at CVS, brought that document to the CS and it cost us $100. I'm so sorry you wound up paying that much. It's really wrong for them to insist on doing the entire medical.

I mean DS-3025 !

There are no hidden costs for a medical if you complete your medical overseas for a K-1 visa. If you choose not to complete all the vaccinations, then yes, there will be costs for a medical in the US, and those costs can be very high if you are unable to find a civil surgeon who is willing to just do the vaccinations and complete the I-693 without doing a complete medical. It sounds like the vaccinations were not properly documented during the first medical, so you ended up having to redo the medical (I assume you could not find a civil surgeon willing to just document the vaccinations).

All this just confirms that it really is best to complete the medical overseas before immigrating.

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

There are no hidden costs for a medical if you complete your medical overseas for a K-1 visa. If you choose not to complete all the vaccinations, then yes, there will be costs for a medical in the US, and those costs can be very high if you are unable to find a civil surgeon who is willing to just do the vaccinations and complete the I-693 without doing a complete medical. It sounds like the vaccinations were not properly documented during the first medical, so you ended up having to redo the medical (I assume you could not find a civil surgeon willing to just document the vaccinations).

All this just confirms that it really is best to complete the medical overseas before immigrating.

Thank you for your most helpful response.  Documentation of vaccinations was a problem.  We did not shop around for a civil surgeon since it was difficult to find one.  Interesting to note you can not submit the new I-693 without completing the Covid protocol.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Joyoussinger said:

I mean DS-3025 !

We asked only for required vaccination but the CS would not do it and required a complete physical with x-ray since her old x-ray was over 6 months old.  It does seem to me that the CS can charge what they want so buyer be aware.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Scandi said:

There is no "hidden fee", it was your choice to not get all the vaccines in your home country and now have to complete it in the US instead. It's always recommended to have a COMPLETE vaccination sheet from the medical you have overseas, then you won't have to deal with anything medical once you get to the US. 

Since you, for whatever reason, opted out of getting all the required vaccines in your hole country, you should be able to find a UsCIS approved doctor in the US to give you the vaccine that is missing. You should not do the whole medical again (=expensive). 

Not sure she opted out.  We had a multitude of problems with SELC.

When my husband was applying for his AOS we called multiple CS and the difference in cost was anywhere from $150 to $600. That was in 2004 though. 

I had to complete I693 in 2013 and paid about $250. 

I guess it depends where you live as well. I had multiple options, but shopping around is definitely advisable. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Although the OP created this thread for a cautionary post for those that are still deciding on which visa path to follow. It has turned into an AOS thread and as such is Moved to AOS from K1/K3 P&P- from K1 P&P~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
3 hours ago, Adventine said:

This advice is too late to help the OP but for anyone else reading this thread, when shopping around for civil surgeons, look for ones who are affiliated with nonprofits. I had my I-693 done at a nonprofit that helps immigrants settle in the US. It cost $180 total. Additional vaccines were completely covered by my health insurance.

Edited to add: I actually got an RFE because my civil surgeon forgot to enter one field in the form. When I went back to them, they fixed the error for free.

Good response, thanks for your advise.   Since our visit the CS was considered a physical it was not covered by my insurance.  You know there has been a lot of good responses to our AOS situation,  but I just want to say that USCIS could serve us better by being problem solvers and allow communication with the person who has created the problem.  There is no way that you could interpret the RFA and understand what they wanted.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.