PWB

Hidden cost of processing a K1 Visa

62 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, PWB said:

Good response, thanks for your advise.   Since our visit the CS was considered a physical it was not covered by my insurance.  You know there has been a lot of good responses to our AOS situation,  but I just want to say that USCIS could serve us better by being problem solvers and allow communication with the person who has created the problem.  There is no way that you could interpret the RFA and understand what they wanted.  

This is the truth! 

I've seen some RFEs that are extremely vague and it takes OP and members on VJ a couple of back and forths before the issue is discovered! 

The I-864 seems to be the biggest offender at the NVC stage. 

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Hidden cost of processing a K1 Visa
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

To each his own,  let me give you a little run down about me and you can decide for your self. When I met my wife I had several relationships with american and my intentions was to meet the right person that I can integrate my life with. I was tired of going through the same stuff with girls in my country (jamaica) that I decided on trying something new and having a new adventure. I have sinced moved to the United States and completed my immigration process and I'm still with my wife. Sure we have had outer moments but I've never once thought of just throwing in the towel and walk away from my now 8 year relationship (5year marriage). I found that long distance relationship worked for me because I was better at expressing my self that way and it gave us the opportunity to know each other.

And let's keep it real unless you have a great job offer in a foreign country your not about to move to a third world country permanently so once you engage with a foreigner its likely that they will have to move the other way man or woman. God forbid if something should happen between me and my wife and I was to date a foreigner I'm not moving from the United States to another country.

Point is him talking about a visa process which is information provided to the public not a red flag in my opinion.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

In my opinion a red flag would be that he or she is a yes man and never expresses his or her true feeling and constantly ask for money without trying to pull their own weight , always having excuses , you can't visit home town or meet family and friends and of course the main one is cheating or withholding information to deceive you.

On 5/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, Rocio0010 said:

But is the RFE only about the I-693? My understanding is you should not need one because you are a K1 and already did the medical. I will let others chime in.

You're correct. You probably skipped some vaccinations which you will have to do in the US. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 5/3/2022 at 4:07 PM, PWB said:

I wish I knew the answer to that.  I did not write the RFE.  Every thing just seemed to be redundant. 

A new or updated  I-693 ids required if something was missing from the first

It might be related to the COVID vaccine.  If it was not required the you did your originally do your  I-693, that could be the issue.  Or maybe they need proof of the second dose.

Also sometimes the original  I-693 has the things missing.  Basically at AOS it is looked at again.  but it is looked at with current requirements and not the original requirements you needed for the K=1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, FianceeInBrazil said:

It might be related to the COVID vaccine.  If it was not required the you did your originally do your  I-693, that could be the issue.  Or maybe they need proof of the second dose.

Also sometimes the original  I-693 has the things missing.  Basically at AOS it is looked at again.  but it is looked at with current requirements and not the original requirements you needed for the K=1

N

5 hours ago, FianceeInBrazil said:

N

Timeline

Not Covid,  what we think is SLEC in Manila did not record all the vaccines.  Since the medical report is  sealed you would not know and consequently the CS did not have access thus a repeat of the entire physical was the option.

19 hours ago, PWB said:

Not Covid,  what we think is SLEC in Manila did not record all the vaccines.  Since the medical report is  sealed you would not know and consequently the CS did not have access thus a repeat of the entire physical was the option.

Did your wife not have a personal copy of the vaccination worksheet from SLEC?  Based on my own experience, my observations during my multiple visits to SLEC (I had to return due to sputum collection), and reports from others here on VJ, all US visa applicants (including K1) get a personal copy of their vaccination worksheet on the last day of their SLEC medical.  I also confirmed with the SLEC staff and they said that has been their standard practice for many years, even before my medical in 2021.  (Unfortunately, they recently stopped giving CD copies of the x-ray results, which was actually what I was interested in.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, Chancy said:

Did your wife not have a personal copy of the vaccination worksheet from SLEC?  Based on my own experience, my observations during my multiple visits to SLEC (I had to return due to sputum collection), and reports from others here on VJ, all US visa applicants (including K1) get a personal copy of their vaccination worksheet on the last day of their SLEC medical.  I also confirmed with the SLEC staff and they said that has been their standard practice for many years, even before my medical in 2021.  (Unfortunately, they recently stopped giving CD copies of the x-ray results, which was actually what I was interested in.)

They are actually required to give you a copy, but that doesn't always happen, so you should always ask for one if that's the case. The clinic I went to in my home country sent me a copy of the entire medical report, not just the vaccinations.

I believe you have to have a certain program to even see what's on the CD anyway, something us regular people don't have. So the CD is useless either way. 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Just now, Scandi said:

They are actually required to give you a copy, but that doesn't always happen, so you should always ask for one if that's the case. The clinic I went to in my home country sent me a copy of the entire medical report, not just the vaccinations.

I actually asked for the x-ray results on CD, but I didn't need it enough to insist.  Regardless, SLEC Manila provides a copy of the vaccination worksheet to all US visa applicants, whether they ask for it or not, and had been doing so for years.  So I'm surprised that OP's wife didn't know whether SLEC marked the sheet complete, unless they lost their personal copy or maybe they left the clinic before they could be handed a copy.

Timeline

She had the worksheet and it was difficult to interpret, appeared to be complete.   That was part of the cause for confusion.  Once USCIS sent RFE they made no attempt to clarify just what was needed.  The CS had no choice except to repeat immunizations and chest x-ray.  If you were allowed to talk to the regional officer who created the problem this could have been resolved.  

1 hour ago, PWB said:

She had the worksheet and it was difficult to interpret, appeared to be complete.   That was part of the cause for confusion.  Once USCIS sent RFE they made no attempt to clarify just what was needed.

Maybe there was a change in the worksheet format from the time your wife had her medical at SLEC and mine.  The worksheet I got from SLEC last year has a line near the bottom of page 1: "Vaccination requirements complete - Yes".

Anyway, this advice is too late in your wife's case, but for other readers who might be looking for info on medicals for AOS from K1 -- if you get a notice from USCIS asking for I-693, verify whether the notice is labeled "Request for Evidence" or "I-693 Deficiency Notice".  If it is a deficiency notice, it is not an RFE and can be ignored by AOS applicants from K1 whose vaccination worksheet is marked "Complete" AND who filed I-485 within 1 year of the visa medical.  Bring a copy of the completed vaccination worksheet to the AOS interview.  If it is clearly an RFE, post a redacted version of it here on VJ, so other members can help to figure out what is actually required or can share their own experiences of how they responded to a similar RFE.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:44 AM, PWB said:

Knowing the doctor we used the first time was no longer available I was concerned about how to validate the I-693.

Wouldn't the 'doctor you used the first time' have been in your wife's home country?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.