Milda

Separation after IR1 and IR2 visa in hand.

98 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, African Zealot said:

Wow! Are you suggesting that someone who was generous enough to be a joint sponsor should be hit up for money because the principal sponsor (husband) turned out to be an irresponsible jerk? That is highly immoral to me!

In my community, many people out of the generosity of their Hearst have signed up to be joint sponsors for people they were merely friends. I shudder to think such good people would pay for their kindness via extortion.

Personally I would never go after an innocent joint sponsor!

And similarly, I regard sponsorship as an actual commitment, and I would never sponsor anyone besides my spouse or child.  To each his/her own.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

CBP told me last year that U.S. citizens can reenter the U.S. with an expired passport by land, not by air.  The word from the airline that an expired passport is acceptable is suspect.

Hilarious. You were lied to.  

4 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Before attempting to travel, get something, preferably in writing, from a supervisor at the airline on which you plan to fly (name, rank, contact information) AND get the name, rank, and location of someone at CBP whom you've contacted.

No need and the notion that CBP officer or airline employee is going to provide these personal details is questionable. 

* State department has told airlines expired passports are acceptable per the parameters I’ve linked. The embassies are loth  providing passports for USA citizens with nonstop flights to the USA 

* CBP agrees: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-1731?language=en_US

* by land a USA citizen can enter the USA with a Costco card, a frequent car wash card, or nothing at all.  The courts have ruled.  

* CBP are the police officers and are not obligated to tell the truth. The courts have ruled.  

12 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I can attest from first hand experience that the quoted statement is accurate.

Thank you. Bye. 

You were admitted via a Costco card?

22 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Car wash punch cards are always the best.  It’s so American. 

That is assuming soapy Joe’s doesn’t refer to a more prurient line of business.  

The true nature of my dealings with good ol' Soapy Joe shall never be disclosed. 😅

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
17 hours ago, Mike E said:

Hilarious. You were lied to.

Straight from a supervisor's mouth.  Do YOU want to tell him that he was lying?

the notion that CBP officer or airline employee is going to provide these personal details is questionable. 

I've found that most will give their title, last name, and location.

by land a USA citizen can enter the USA with a Costco card, a frequent car wash card, or nothing at all.  The courts have ruled.

Would appreciate a citation.

CBP are the police officers and are not obligated to tell the truth. The courts have ruled.

They're not required to tell the truth during a contact, detention, or arrest.  However, absent those circumstances, why would they lie when you ask them the law?  What's the benefit to them?  (No answer required; rhetorical.)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Now I do know that you can not rely on what Government Employees have told you, there was some court case about that.

I think the Border issue is that they can not refuse US Citizens entry, now quite what happens whilst they determine if you actually are a Citizen is another matter. That could be an unpleasant experience.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Separation after IR1 and IR2 visa in hand.
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
40 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Straight from a supervisor's mouth.  Do YOU want to tell him that he was lying?

You are at liberty to share my email address with him and I will be happy to do so.   .  

Would appreciate a citation.

If you can guarantee that that the link will not earn  me penalty from VJ administration or moderation, certainly.  

Edited by Mike E

On 2/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, Milda said:

Hi 👋🏽 

So i have a question.. 

we have our ir1/2 visasbin hand and our flight is in one week. But my husband who went back to the US ahead of us to fix some things, have now informed me he wants to divorce. I no longer have a job, or a place to stay here in my country as we had already got everything ready for the move. 

the question is, can i still use the visas and maybe go to a shelter in the US? Just for a week or so so i can just find a place for me and the kids since my husband has abandoned us..

Come then look for this cheap hotels around or airbnb. That's what we did 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Milda said:

Yes the two youngest ones are his. Only the oldest one is not.

Yes two of the 3 are his children as well. 

I will definitely try it as long as i have money..

Milda, 

I’m sorry this happened to you.

Be brave.

Move to the US.
As per the affidavit of support HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU AND YOUR 3 CHILDREN, his or not doesn’t matter he signed. You have the right to arrive at the address you gave in your interview, arrive where he lives, really. Arrive there, he can’t kick you out. When you fly, put your family’s address for the Green cRd to arrive there. NOT at your husbands address.  Fly with your kids to where your husband lives. If he isn’t home, you wait.  But do tell your family you might need to crash there, and to give you a week to find a job, here it’s easy as hell. apply for WIC. Its a card for food. Women Infant Children. Any woman with children, pretty much any household that makes less than 70-90k qualifies for it. As soon as you arrive, if you don’t have an address, open a PO Box at the Post Office, GET an ID or a driver’s license. And get anything with your name on it, and the address that will be staying at. Phone bill, open a debit card. He might not file for divorce once you step foot in the US, if he hasn’t… YOU need to file for it. Who files first has the upper hand. And he will have to show up in court in the State that YOU DECIDE to live with your children. IF he files first, YOU will have to travel to where he lives and show up in court.  Let’s suppose he still wants to proceed with the divorce with you in the US, thats ok. You will receive alimony and child support. You have a good case, he didn’t have the best intentions by wanting

to leave you stranded wherever you are. Once you land in the US, he is f..ucked. He signed an affidavit of support, in which he is responsible for your financial stability and your children, ALL of them. 

Thats why he wants to divorce before you arrive. Although its dumb because you already had your interview.

back to the IR1, you wont have to worry about it for 10 years, as your green card will be for that long. From the day you fly, 3 years later you can apply for Citizenship and they will see your situation. Pay your taxes and be a good citizen. 
 If you need advice,  send me a private message. Im not divorced, but my husband got fuc..ed by his ex wife by filing for divorce first. So I know. 

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Now I do know that you can not rely on what Government Employees have told you, there was some court case about that.

I think the Border issue is that they can not refuse US Citizens entry, now quite what happens whilst they determine if you actually are a Citizen is another matter. That could be an unpleasant experience.

International agreements are that countries have to take back their citizens; most do.  Amount of hassle can differ though; they are still allowed to take all the time and precaution they want to confirm the citizen is in fact, a real citizen.  

Having access to alternate documents, or copy of a passport, can accelerate the experience.  

I have seen some weird things.  Weirdest is a Canadian citizen, on a work visa in the US, who flew to Boston from Asia, with a photocopy of their passport only.   Airline was comfortable with their Diamond Status client flying back on their usual flight without more than that.  CBP barely asked more questions than usual.  I have also seen American citizens being deported.  So, experience might vary greatly. 

Edited by Lemonslice

On 2/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, Milda said:

Hi 👋🏽 

So i have a question.. 

we have our ir1/2 visasbin hand and our flight is in one week. But my husband who went back to the US ahead of us to fix some things, have now informed me he wants to divorce. I no longer have a job, or a place to stay here in my country as we had already got everything ready for the move. 

the question is, can i still use the visas and maybe go to a shelter in the US? Just for a week or so so i can just find a place for me and the kids since my husband has abandoned us..

That is really upsetting but usually if it is not your fault in the marriage ending you can still reside in the USA. I’d deffinetly still go 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.