Jimmyzr1

Which Visa is easiest and best, K-1, K-3 or CR-1 for my situation?

73 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, hunny&me said:

I129-F is for K1/K3.  When you read and fill it up, you will see and have better understanding of it, no cost for K3.  Again, this is optional.   I-130 is for you - this is what you file up online to file online (i suggest filing online so that you can upload your scanned documents properly).  One of the scanned document is I-130A which is information for your spouse.  I-864 affidavit of support (AOS) is still after I-130 approval, NVC stage.  (Right now that is where ours are).  We were shocked by our Nov 2021 approval, and my husband's NBI clearance appt is not until Dec 1.  So, we were able to submit all NVC requirements on 12/1.  NVC have a 3-month backlog at this time.

So, the only forms I need to get done right away is the I-130, 130a? Then can do others a few weeks or so later?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Do not (do NOT!) bother with the I-129F, because it's a fruitless waste of your time.  File the I-130.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, hunny&me said:

I129-F is for K1/K3.  When you read and fill it up, you will see and have better understanding of it, no cost for K3.  Again, this is optional.   I-130 is for you - this is what you file up online to file online (i suggest filing online so that you can upload your scanned documents properly).  One of the scanned document is I-130A which is information for your spouse.  I-864 affidavit of support (AOS) is still after I-130 approval, NVC stage.  (Right now that is where ours are).  We were shocked by our Nov 2021 approval, and my husband's NBI clearance appt is not until Dec 1.  So, we were able to submit all NVC requirements on 12/1.  NVC have a 3-month backlog at this time.

What you are missing is that the K3 visa has been virtually unobtainable for more than a decade.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

54 minutes ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

So, the only forms I need to get done right away is the I-130, 130a? Then can do others a few weeks or so later?

Yes.  Along with the requirements.  Proof of citizenship (passport or birth cert), marriage license (i uploaded the digital one from Utah), Evidence of a bona fide marital Relationship, 2x2 photo (petitioner and beneficiary) with names on back. I scanned back and forth and resize the jpg to 2x2 inches.  (divorce decree, name change - if you have those too). The I-130 online application will guide you for uploading the documents.

1 minute ago, pushbrk said:

What you are missing is that the K3 visa has been virtually unobtainable for more than a decade.

Yes, I agree, little to none are approved.  Just sharing our experience.   Like I mentioned in previous comment, at least 2 people I followed and then myself, were approved faster than expected in year 2021.  Was expecting at least 12 months for Vermont.    It maybe our luck or as my husband says, maybe it is how I wrote the evidence as a story (with coverpage).  But again, nothing to lose than the petitioner's time and mailing fee.  Entirely optional.

Thanks guys, one last question, When and how did you guys go about the name changes on all of my wife’s documents, including her Filipino Passport, name on marriage certificate, her IDs back in her country, and other documents? Thanks for all of your help!

Edited by Jimmyzr1

• Captain Ewok changed the title to Which Visa is easiest and best, K-1, K-3 or CR-1 for my situation?
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Yeah, there is some thinking that the filing of the I129 after filing the I130 speeds up the CR1/IR1 process.  Of course all stories of this are anecdotal at best, but if someone likes to fill out forms I guess they can do it,  it I agree, concentrate on the I130.

To the OP, get your spousal visa to the PI set, then get everything you need to file the I130, you can file the I130 online as soon as you meet your spouse in person in the PI, there is no time factor involved (I.e. you do not have to be in person a week or more before filing).

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

Thanks guys, one last question, When and how did you guys go about the name changes on all of my wife’s documents, including her Filipino Passport, name on marriage certificate, her IDs back in her country, and other documents? Thanks for all of your help!

Did your wife change her name when you married? Then her new name should be on the marriage certificate. She can take that and follow the procedures in her country to initiate a name change for her passport, ID etc. (That is if the Philippines allow name changes, depends on country as far as I know). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, Mike E said:

Quite the loop hole.  

I'd think so - especially if it comes down to CR or IR green card issuances, ROC, etc.  If the marriage isn't "complete" until a visit, how is the certificate date valid?  

Time will tell, I suppose

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

6 hours ago, Catseal said:

Did your wife change her name when you married? Then her new name should be on the marriage certificate. She can take that and follow the procedures in her country to initiate a name change for her passport, ID etc. (That is if the Philippines allow name changes, depends on country as far as I know). 

No, we did not change her name yet because I was worried about messing up documents with the 9a visa and report of marriage. But now I have to get everything changed after I get the affidavit and ROM forms back from her in the Philippines in a few days. I’m just trying to figure out how and when to change her name on various different documents, not to mess up those filings as well as I-130 and US filings as well...

2 hours ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

No, we did not change her name yet because I was worried about messing up documents with the 9a visa and report of marriage. But now I have to get everything changed after I get the affidavit and ROM forms back from her in the Philippines in a few days. I’m just trying to figure out how and when to change her name on various different documents, not to mess up those filings as well as I-130 and US filings as well...

I believe certified PSA marriage certificate is required for the passport renewal.  Seems you have got it going, with ROM.   It will be good if you can file I-130 with her married name, a good evidence of bona fide marriage.  Another one, is NBI clearance - it is valid for a year, just renew online (when allowed - i think it is not allowed when there is hits) prior to expiry.  Driver's license - this is not needed for immigration processing, but might be best to match it, to recognize driving history with your state (or auto insurance).  Your health insurance if you added her.  Then there are those for Philippine use  - National ID, Philhealth, Barangay ID.  You may also want to register your name as household member in the barangay.  (My husband added me, so when i visited, i was able to get quarantine pass, barangay ID.  Was able to use it to prove am no stranger to his address.).  If she is working, i believe SSS, BIR and probable Philhealth will be changed through work).

20 minutes ago, hunny&me said:

I believe certified PSA marriage certificate is required for the passport renewal.  Seems you have got it going, with ROM.   It will be good if you can file I-130 with her married name, a good evidence of bona fide marriage.  Another one, is NBI clearance - it is valid for a year, just renew online (when allowed - i think it is not allowed when there is hits) prior to expiry.  Driver's license - this is not needed for immigration processing, but might be best to match it, to recognize driving history with your state (or auto insurance).  Your health insurance if you added her.  Then there are those for Philippine use  - National ID, Philhealth, Barangay ID.  You may also want to register your name as household member in the barangay.  (My husband added me, so when i visited, i was able to get quarantine pass, barangay ID.  Was able to use it to prove am no stranger to his address.).  If she is working, i believe SSS, BIR and probable Philhealth will be changed through work).

The thing is, I don’t want to have to wait, if possible, to file the i-130 application for her ROM to go through, so she can change her name on her passport and other documents, that could be a long delay in getting the i-130 started. She has no work or driver’s license, she cannot be added to my medical insurance either since I use the VA., but that has nothing to do with filing the i-130. I will try to either get a Will or Living Trust with her as the beneficiary to help with the I-130. But have heard others saying, they changed the wife’s name after the i-130 was filed and it got to the NVC, but am not 100% sure of the best way and time to do all of this. I’ve stayed in her barangay before, and also another local town, but before covid.

21 minutes ago, Jimmyzr1 said:

The thing is, I don’t want to have to wait, if possible, to file the i-130 application for her ROM to go through, so she can change her name on her passport and other documents, that could be a long delay in getting the i-130 started. She has no work or driver’s license, she cannot be added to my medical insurance either since I use the VA., but that has nothing to do with filing the i-130. I will try to either get a Will or Living Trust with her as the beneficiary to help with the I-130. But have heard others saying, they changed the wife’s name after the i-130 was filed and it got to the NVC, but am not 100% sure of the best way and time to do all of this. I’ve stayed in her barangay before, and also another local town, but before covid.

Her passport is needed at NVC stage and not needed on I-130.  When I filed for my husband, I used my new married name on I-130, I only have the marriage cert as proof of name.  I suppose what you need is answer to - can i file I-130 with my wife's married name - but passport that she will use to is in maiden name (immigration docs vs passport).  - My apologies, I do not have a definite answer for this.  But if answer to that is Yes, then go file with her married name.  If she get passport renewal with new name, then will not be problem as well.  

1 hour ago, hunny&me said:

Her passport is needed at NVC stage and not needed on I-130.  When I filed for my husband, I used my new married name on I-130, I only have the marriage cert as proof of name.  I suppose what you need is answer to - can i file I-130 with my wife's married name - but passport that she will use to is in maiden name (immigration docs vs passport).  - My apologies, I do not have a definite answer for this.  But if answer to that is Yes, then go file with her married name.  If she get passport renewal with new name, then will not be problem as well.  

Thanks for your advice!

On 1/10/2022 at 8:13 PM, hunny&me said:

Like I mentioned in previous comment, at least 2 people I followed and then myself, were approved faster than expected in year 2021.  Was expecting at least 12 months for Vermont. 

Yours was the timeline that made me decide to submit my I-129F, and I received similarly fast approval. It certainly can't hurt to try.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.