ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/5/2022 at 2:36 PM, EB_Stuck said:

@Canada21 Thanks

@JR90 I ended up hiring Joshua Goldstein. He and his team are excellent!  I did heavy research on his # of cases and success rate. Extremely competent attorney. Approximately 60% of mandamus lawsuit at Montreal were by Joshua with 100% success rate. 

The second most popular one was Hackling law firm with only 20% share of the files with less than 100% success rate (70-80%)

Choosing Joshua was a no brainer.

@EB_Stuck you probably don't know the answer to this but figured I'd ask anyways since you did some research -  do you know how many of those lawsuits Joshua filed at montreal were for K1 visas?

The very idea of suing the country you're attempting to legally immigrate to is the most backwards thing I've ever heard of but the State Department has given us little choice. My career, mental health, financials, and living situation are all being stressed while the state department drag their feet.

Edited by JR90

11 minutes ago, Hello100 said:

Hey guys,

I haven't been on here for a long time (8 days). I used to regularly check in 8 times an hour (lol). I'm here for 2 main reasons.

First, I know how much it must hurt when someone gets approved and they announce it on here while you are still waiting (whether you admit it or not). I know I used to slightly envy those approved (whilst still being happy for them). However (and finally), I have the chance to witness my name turn green on the spreadsheet, as not only am I approved and issued my Visa, but I am also in Florida with my wife, reunited after 1,003 days. They asked for my passport back on April 11th, I was issued on April 28th, got my Visa on May 2nd, and entered the U.S. today (May 6th). Apparently clearance was received on March 30th. I am #37 on @Danii's spreadsheet.

The second reason why I am here is for my 'brother from another mother,' @ice-qube. Brother, if you are still waiting, which I think you are, my wife and I hired Joshua Goldstein to help us with the Mandamus lawsuit. I know he used to charge $4,500 USD, his price might have gone up, but maybe you can ask him for the same price as one of his previous clients (me). Tell him that you are my friend or something and that I recommended him to you. I've never felt this bad for someone I have never met before, but I do because I was in your shoes and I know exactly how you feel, man. I believe you applied for your Visa on June 18th, 2019? If so, that exact date was symbolic for me too (as you can see, that is the 1,003rd day I've been waiting to reunite with my wife). I applied for my Visa in October 2020, but June 18th, 2019 is symbolic in a different way (we can talk about it when we meet in Florida).

If you want, you can send me a contact of yours in the direct messages, maybe Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter (I don't have a phone number yet). Let's keep in touch for the better days to come. In the meantime, stay strong, YOU CAN fix this madness, just as my wife and I did.

For the rest of you, thank you too, for healing my depression in some way, as I knew I wasn't alone in this. However, I am starting a new life now, and I will no longer be checking this website, as it gives me terrible chills. I hope you understand. All the best to everyone, and good luck!

Edit: 1,003 days was a different date, but nonetheless, June 18th is a symbolic date I'll share with @ice-qube one day lol.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Danii said:

@Hello100 congratulations, very happy for you and great to hear that mandamus was a positive experience for you. Welcome to the US!! Just want to confirm, did you change your username? Were you previously Tony? 

I believe he was. @Hello100 I sent you a direct message with my contact, hope to hear from you! And hope i will see you in Miami sometime.

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, ThisIsHorseFeces said:

@EB_Stuck you probably don't know the answer to this but figured I'd ask anyways since you did some research -  do you know how many of those lawsuits Joshua filed at montreal were for K1 visas?

@ThisIsHorseFeces thanks for the message. I did not drill down to the type of visa's that Joshua's firm was suing for; however consular processing for employment based are far few in-between. 90%+ of the consular processing and lawsuits are family or immediate relative based. I would imagine K1 visas are a good chunk in that. Sorry, I dont have the exact numbers. But one could ask Josh in the free interview/consultation or email him.

These stats must be super embarrassing for the State Department. I'm convinced the only way people will ever see movement in the next six months on their DS-5535 is to sue. I'm almost certain they're prioritizing Ukrainian refugees over everything else which is driving the backlog to balloon even further.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2021AnnualReport/FY21_TableVII.pdf

"Statistics released by the State Department indicate that 66,781 visas for employment-based immigrants and 141,430 visas for family-based immigrants went unused in Fiscal Year (FY) 2021. Another 35,938 Diversity Visas also went unused. This marks the second year in a row that over 100,000 visas for family-based immigrants went unused."

Edited by JR90

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JR90 said:

These stats must be super embarrassing for the State Department. I'm convinced the only way people will ever see movement in the next six months on their DS-5535 is to sue. I'm almost certain they're prioritizing Ukrainian refugees over everything else which is driving the backlog to balloon even further.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/AnnualReports/FY2021AnnualReport/FY21_TableVII.pdf

"Statistics released by the State Department indicate that 66,781 visas for employment-based immigrants and 141,430 visas for family-based immigrants went unused in Fiscal Year (FY) 2021. Another 35,938 Diversity Visas also went unused. This marks the second year in a row that over 100,000 visas for family-based immigrants went unused."

Alternate possibility: they are doing it on purpose

5 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Honestly, I think that possibility is giving them too much credit. They're ineffective but I don't think they're evil.

The security background folks over at the State Dept. Washington HQ have probably been politically directed to prioritize Ukrainian refugee visas forcing us behind those 100,000 visa applicants. Gotta look good for those midterms in November!

Edited by JR90

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JR90 said:

Honestly, I think that possibility is giving them too much credit. They're ineffective but I don't think they're evil.

The security background folks over at the State Dept. Washington HQ have probably been politically directed to prioritize Ukrainian refugee visas forcing us behind those 100,000 visa applicants. Gotta look good for those midterms in November!

Normally, i would 100% agree, I am only saying this because this problem has predated the Ukraine issue, so I doubt it can only be that. I don’t normally give government bureaucracies too much credit at all; I only have started suspecting it is deliberate because it has continued so long and with such apparent arbitrariness.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

My thoughts exactly. There is no reason their so called checks cannot be done super fast for those who only need security checks in Canada. Canada already shares so much with them it's crazy. Makes me think of the games the Hospitals play when transferring patients to different hospitals to make points with the province that they lack this or that. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.