ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/3/2022 at 1:34 PM, deep2ca said:

I had 3 updates in the month of June, first sign of progress this year. I am hoping the end is near, but I wonder how its going to work with the expired medical. How about you Ice Cube? Any updates on yours?

None. No updates since June 3. And that was when they responded to an email i had sent, so I know that was nothing.

Hi, I see a lot of newbies here. If you want to be added to the spread sheet please reach out in a DM. I found it very helpful to know where I was compared to the backlog.

Honestly for the newbies, if it’s been over 4 months, file a WoM. The embassy has been slammed with lawsuits and they’re going to be prioritizing these cases (hopefully/finally).

If you’re not quite ready to cough up the money yet, set a date and start putting money aside a little at a time. It will do your mental health wonders.

Edited by herecomestherain

23 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

250 Days since submitting the DS-5535, and no news-- such a nice round number! how shall I celebrate this distinctive anniversary??

God how crazy. I’m sorry this is happening to you.

I know you didn’t ask my opinion but out of concern for you and your family I’ll say this: I think WoM is the only answer to ending your nightmare. It’s the key to moving on with your life. You may get an answer in under 2 months.

Parting with the money and the principle of the matter… “why should I have to sue to get an answer?” is difficult to reconcile. In the end, the indignation we all feel in AP, and the sting of paying a large sum of money, will be a far distant memory when we are reunited with our loved ones.

Money comes and goes, time with our loved ones does not.

Edited by herecomestherain

Timeline
Just now, herecomestherain said:

God how crazy. I’m sorry this is happening to you.

I know you didn’t ask my opinion but out of concern for you and your family I’ll say this: I think WoM is the only answer to ending your nightmare. It’s the key to moving on with your life. You may get an answer in under 2 months.

Parting with the money and the principle of the matter… “why should I have to sue to get an answer?” is difficult to reconcile. In the end, the indignation we all feel in AP, and the sting of paying a large sum of money, will be a far distant memory when we are reunited with your loved ones.

Money comes and goes, time with our loved ones does not.

It's not that I disagree with your assessment--I do agree that is likely to be the only answer. Do I want to do it? Not at all. For the moment, I will try to save some money up and play for time, and hope somehow for a miracle.

Just now, ice-qube said:

It's not that I disagree with your assessment--I do agree that is likely to be the only answer. Do I want to do it? Not at all. For the moment, I will try to save some money up and play for time, and hope somehow for a miracle.

You are really strong. Seriously, I commend you because I think you have shown a lot of grace throughout this ordeal.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, herecomestherain said:

You are really strong. Seriously, I commend you because I think you have shown a lot of grace throughout this ordeal.

Well I thank you for the compliment. I am not trying to be a hero, but I am very stubbornly attached to principles sometimes. In addition to the whole larger principle,  there is also a principle related to sound financial practices here too: I am not going to borrow money for this, it is a red line for me. I am not going load upon myself with consumer debt for a lawsuit--so it is going to have to be cash or nothing. I don't carry balances on credit cards anymore, I pay it in full. 

Just now, ice-qube said:

Well I thank you for the compliment. I am not trying to be a hero, but I am very stubbornly attached to principles sometimes. In addition to the whole larger principle,  there is also a principle related to sound financial practices here too: I am not going to borrow money for this, it is a red line for me. I am not going load upon myself with consumer debt for a lawsuit--so it is going to have to be cash or nothing. I don't carry balances on credit cards anymore, I pay it in full. 

I totally feel you on that.

Timeline
On 6/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, LAMA9 said:

Hi @Mary184 I just DM'd you the link to the video recording.  While I don't believe anyone here is going with these particular lawyers or participating in a group WOM suit, there is still some valuable information in here regarding how WOM suits work.  Let me know if you have any trouble accessing it.  

I'd be grateful for this recording as well. Please do share it with me too.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
On 6/29/2022 at 8:42 AM, herecomestherain said:

Thanks. It improved my mental health a lot just knowing we have a plan.

We decided on July because we are both becoming more and more upset. We just want this done with so that we can move on with our lives. We’ve been waiting almost 2 years.

I see. Well let us know how the lawsuit goes. I hope you get positive results. Though we shouldn't have to take the government to court just to be reunited with our spouses. But unfortunately, this is what some of us will have to do. I have followed your advice and set a deadline for end of October, meanwhile I have started saving up a pot of money for this purpose, just in case. I hope I won't have to use it because it is going to cause me to go into debt a little even with trying to save up but I can't be without my husband, we have already waited 3 years and I am unwilling to wait anymore.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

25 minutes ago, PZibran325 said:

I see. Well let us know how the lawsuit goes. I hope you get positive results. Though we shouldn't have to take the government to court just to be reunited with our spouses. But unfortunately, this is what some of us will have to do. I have followed your advice and set a deadline for end of October, meanwhile I have started saving up a pot of money for this purpose, just in case. I hope I won't have to use it because it is going to cause me to go into debt a little even with trying to save up but I can't be without my husband, we have already waited 3 years and I am unwilling to wait anymore.

Good for you for making this decision! You two deserve to be together. No more waiting for answers. October is a great timeline.

If you have the bandwidth, see if you can pick up some gigs or waitress and grind it out. Years ago I did waitressing for 3 months and it helped me get out of debt probably faster than I ever imagined. You can put all your cash tips in your WoM fund and just keep setting aside.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.