ice-qube

The dreaded DS-5535 thread for Montreal. Post here and support each other (split)

2,992 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
37 minutes ago, ice-qube said:

Not talking about a US job. Just a Canadian job and take laptop and work remote for a couple of weeks at a time while visiting.

Yes, that is not allowed apparently…

The other way around though - a US citizen working in Canada while here on a visit for their US employer is allowed…

I am in the US right now, working remotely for my Canadian employer, but I am allowed to only because I have a green card. Furthermore, taxes become really complicated.

Perhaps you could consider moving there on a TN visa while you wait (provided you are educated in one of those 60 something fields that are eligible). Lawyers say there are chances you would be denied because of a pending immigrant visa, but we have had some people get approved before. I have read your chances of approval are higher should you show up at the border for an on-the-spot approval rather than apply online. The tricky part is ofcourse how the pending DS-5535 factors into all this, but I think just as people can cross into the US for a visit, a TN visa may still be possible with a pending DS-5535…

Just an idea, not sure if it has much merit….

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
6 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Yes, that is not allowed apparently…

The other way around though - a US citizen working in Canada while here on a visit for their US employer is allowed…

There are exceptions to US citizen working remotely for their US employer while visiting Canada as well. For my work, I am allowed to work remotely from anywhere in the US, however I cannot work remotely on foreign soil (even Canada) unless my supervisor happens to be with me in the same location and we are on Canadian soil for a work assignment, If that makes sense. The only reason I know, because I wanted to take advantage of this option while waiting on hubby's visa so we could at least be together. Turns out I'm blocked there too.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

February 2021 - Sent I-130

July 2021 - Sent expedite request

July 2021 - Approved 

August 2021 - NVC Welcome Letters

November 2021 - NVC requests missing documents

December 2021 - Submitted missing docs to NVC

May 2022  Notice of interview appointment

June 2022 - Interview + put in AP

March 2023 - AP complete + second medical requested by consulate

April 2023 - new medical submitted, visa status changed to issued

May 2023 - Entry into US

Timeline
15 minutes ago, PZibran325 said:

There are exceptions to US citizen working remotely for their US employer while visiting Canada as well. For my work, I am allowed to work remotely from anywhere in the US, however I cannot work remotely on foreign soil (even Canada) unless my supervisor happens to be with me in the same location and we are on Canadian soil for a work assignment, If that makes sense. The only reason I know, because I wanted to take advantage of this option while waiting on hubby's visa so we could at least be together. Turns out I'm blocked there too.

Really? When I lived in Canada, my US citizen husband visited me often - multiple times a year for up to one month each time. He worked remotely for his US employer without any supervisor being there and not working on Canadian assignments… he was questioned about it at the border and answered honestly and was not stopped.

I also reading this being allowed on a Canadian federal website (although I don’t remember where off the top of my head just now).

How did you come across this rule? Did your company tell you?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Really? When I lived in Canada, my US citizen husband visited me often - multiple times a year for up to one month each time. He worked remotely for his US employer without any supervisor being there and not working on Canadian assignments… he was questioned about it at the border and answered honestly and was not stopped.

I also reading this being allowed on a Canadian federal website (although I don’t remember where off the top of my head just now).

How did you come across this rule? Did your company tell you?

Yes, it is an employer issue not a Canadian or US immigration issue. So this rule is specific to my employer which is why I said that there are exceptions to what you were suggesting, some companies/industries have security protocols that do not permit even US citizens to work remotely from outside of the US except under certain specific circumstances.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

Hey everyone, I am new here…wondering if requesting my passport will slow AP? I want to visit the US with my US citizen partner and 6 month US citizen baby (who was born in Canada) how long will it take the embassy to return my passport? I just do not want to complicate things and be troubled at the border..I do have a letter from my canadian job and all..

Timeline
1 minute ago, mmt26 said:

Hey everyone, I am new here…wondering if requesting my passport will slow AP? I want to visit the US with my US citizen partner and 6 month US citizen baby (who was born in Canada) how long will it take the embassy to return my passport? I just do not want to complicate things and be troubled at the border..I do have a letter from my canadian job and all..

Hi we haven't tried this but it seems like that a number of people in AP have requested their passports and entered the US with no issues. I'll let those that have done it respond with any additional details, but I just wanted to let you know it is possible and not entirely inconvenient.

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

Just now, PZibran325 said:

Hi we haven't tried this but it seems like that a number of people in AP have requested their passports and entered the US with no issues. I'll let those that have done it respond with any additional details, but I just wanted to let you know it is possible and not entirely inconvenient.

My interview was recent June 8 - and last time I crossed the border in March they asked us who is sponsoring who and we told them we are pending interview in Montreal..it was a quick 2 mins. I am just so frustrated and do not want my summer ruined..I want my baby to enjoy the summer with the cousins and family lol

Timeline
7 minutes ago, mmt26 said:

My interview was recent June 8 - and last time I crossed the border in March they asked us who is sponsoring who and we told them we are pending interview in Montreal..it was a quick 2 mins. I am just so frustrated and do not want my summer ruined..I want my baby to enjoy the summer with the cousins and family lol

same boat as you, we were interviewed on June 8th as well

IR-1/CR-1

Canada

July 2021 - Approved 

May 2023 - Entry into US

6 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

It sounds like you are EB category.

No one really knows the precise reason DS-5535s are issued. My understanding is the computer reviews your profile among various parameters against a database of persons suspected of being a threat to national security. Any one parameter in itself does not trigger the DS-5535; so simply being from Iran isn’t necessarily sufficient, but that and/ or having education/ employment in certain fields, along with a name/ photo matching with the database would trigger DS-5535 to be issued.

I personally believe that Canada has recently been added to the list of high risk countries possibly because of intelligence of security threats originating in Canada. This is speculation but explains why Canadian citizens are targetted at a higher percentage than other Low risk countries since October 2021.

Thank you. I really believe  a big  part is just bad luck … we haven’t even travelled back for many years … people I mention I know have even travelled to countries of concern and yet everything has gone so smooth and hassle free. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, mmt26 said:

What type of AP? Just normal or did you need to send in anything or the DS-5535? The type of AP makes a difference. 

Just regular we're reviewing the case AP is usually anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. 

Sending in stuff your probably closer to 6-8 weeks

DS-5535 God only knows 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

3 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

What type of AP? Just normal or did you need to send in anything or the DS-5535? The type of AP makes a difference. 

Just regular we're reviewing the case AP is usually anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. 

Sending in stuff your probably closer to 6-8 weeks

DS-5535 God only knows 

DS5535 unfortunately….interview was great not sure what triggered it…

Timeline
58 minutes ago, mmt26 said:

DS5535 unfortunately….interview was great not sure what triggered it…

Sorry to hear. The wait is awful and the lack of transparency is the worst. You will have no idea when and where your case is. 

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

3 hours ago, mmt26 said:

You’re in for a long ride. Asking for your passport back won’t complicate things, they will just ask for it back when they need it.

It took about a week to send mine back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.