Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

New to the forum but wanted to write a post in case its helpful for anyone dealing with something similar.

I was DQ'd on Aug 8, got my IL Oct 20, and interview was Dec 5th.

At my interview, I handed over all the documents, answered all the questions, and then was told that they had everything they needed from me but that they would need to do additional processing on their end and was handed a white 221g refusal form (they didn't request any additional documents or anything). When I asked about my passport the officer said that she highly recommended that I keep it with them and so I did. Thankfully, I didn't receive the DS-5335 form then or by email later (you can bet I was holding my breath on that one). I can only assume that they  wanted to carry out an additional security check because I lived in the US for several years as a student or to verify my foreign police certificate. 

After reading the posts on this message group and the DS-5335 group,  I didn't see many similar cases so I couldn't properly compare timelines and was prepared to wait it out for a few months. But thankfully this morning my status was changed to Issued! Still have no idea why I got the 221g but somehow it was resolved in just over a week.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, lalalulu said:

New to the forum but wanted to write a post in case its helpful for anyone dealing with something similar.

At my interview, I handed over all the documents, answered all the questions, and then was told that they had everything they needed from me but that they would need to do additional processing on their end and was handed a white 221g refusal form (they didn't request any additional documents or anything). When I asked about my passport the officer said that she highly recommended that I keep it with them and so I did. Thankfully, I didn't receive the DS-5335 form then or by email later (you can bet I was holding my breath on that one). I can only assume that they  wanted to carry out an additional security check because I lived in the US for several years as a student or to verify my foreign police certificate. 

After reading the posts on this message group and the DS-5335 group,  I didn't see many similar cases so I couldn't properly compare timelines and was prepared to wait it out for a few months. But thankfully this morning my status was changed to Issued! Still have no idea why I got the 221g but somehow it was resolved in just over a week.

they didn’t explain to you why you needed additional processing? i’m surprised if they didn’t! i’m glad everything is going well now though, a good relief for you 

2 hours ago, lalalulu said:

Wow congrats! You're really lucky for everything to have worked out so quickly. I was handed the 221g as well and was told I don't have to submit any documents and was also recommended to leave my passport with them. My interview was November 2nd and I've been checking the status every day and still nothing :(

Hoping for good news soon!

Timeline
1 hour ago, kryptonite said:

Wow congrats! You're really lucky for everything to have worked out so quickly. I was handed the 221g as well and was told I don't have to submit any documents and was also recommended to leave my passport with them. My interview was November 2nd and I've been checking the status every day and still nothing :(

Hoping for good news soon!

if you don’t mind me asking(!) did they give a reason for a 221g? i’m getting so nervous seeing posts like these! 

1 hour ago, NYQC said:

if you don’t mind me asking(!) did they give a reason for a 221g? i’m getting so nervous seeing posts like these! 

In May of 2022 I was crossing the land border to the US from Canada and they pulled me in for questioning. They said that because my immigration process is ongoing, they cannot let me in and once that is completed, I am free to enter. So on November 2nd at my visa interview when they asked me if I was ever refused entry, I told the officer the story and that’s when I was given the 221g. I was told I don’t have to do anything on my end, they just have to do some additional processing. He said based on your story there shouldn’t be any issues. He suggested I keep my passport with them. I asked him how long it would take - he said hopefully a few weeks. It’ll be 6 weeks tomorrow unfortunately. 

Timeline
31 minutes ago, kryptonite said:

In May of 2022 I was crossing the land border to the US from Canada and they pulled me in for questioning. They said that because my immigration process is ongoing, they cannot let me in and once that is completed, I am free to enter. So on November 2nd at my visa interview when they asked me if I was ever refused entry, I told the officer the story and that’s when I was given the 221g. I was told I don’t have to do anything on my end, they just have to do some additional processing. He said based on your story there shouldn’t be any issues. He suggested I keep my passport with them. I asked him how long it would take - he said hopefully a few weeks. It’ll be 6 weeks tomorrow unfortunately. 

oh man, ok! i’m glad it’s getting all resolved for you! keep us posted. hopefully this week or next will be your week! 

1 hour ago, kryptonite said:

Few questions if you don't mind...

• How did they know you were in-process for immigration in May, did they ask? 
  • At what part of the process were you in during the border crossing?  From your timeline, it would appear you were waiting for DQ.
  • Are you working on getting an IR1/CR1?
  • How long was the trip, and was it just for leisure, or work?

I'm asking because my spouse has a trip booked via air to the US early next year, and was just DQ'd.  We're just doing a weeklong trip for leisure.  Since starting this very long application journey, I now bring along a moderately recent pay stub, tax payment, and mortgage contract as evidence that there is no reason to break immigration law - and that these are just short-term visits.

Edited by Idlewild

17 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

• At what part of the process were you in during the border crossing?  From your timeline, it would appear you were waiting for DQ.

I'm asking because my spouse has a trip booked via air to the US early next year, and was just DQ'd.  We're just doing a weeklong trip for leisure.  Since starting this very long application journey, I now bring along a moderately recent pay stub, tax payment, and mortgage contract as evidence that there is no reason to break immigration law - and that these are just short-term visits.

If it helps...I was back and forth at least 5 times during my process.  The only time I was pulled into secondary was when I told them I was visiting my husband for Christmas.  Every other time, I was going for meetings and they didn't ask anything further.  If you just say you're going for vacation and give a definite return date...you won't have any issues.  I never mention that I'm in the process unless they ask - they only asked that one time.  I was brought into secondary and I explained that we were so far into the process at that point that there would be no way I'd overstay my visa.  He believed me and I went on my way. :)  ALWAYS have a return date.  Hope this helps....

39 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

- They knew we were in the process just out of questioning. I happened to be crossing with my wife at the time which was actually the first time. Previously I have crossed multiple multiple times just for leisure. I live 15 mins from the border so it’s so common for me. I was crossing with my wife and we were going to her apartment. She had recently moved to the state that shares the border with my city. I was just helping her move. Everyone I spoke to afterwards (friends and family) said that this was the issue. I had told the border officers that I’m helping my wife move and settle into her apartment. Once they asked our relationship and why we’re in different countries, it obviously came up that we were in the immigration process. Every other time I crossed, it was always for leisure - going out to eat, shopping, etc. This time it was with my wife and it was to HER apartment, they pulled us in. If I had said we were just going shopping or whatever I don’t think we would’ve been pulled in. But that’s okay - can’t change that now. But what you say is very important. I was obviously just trying to tell the truth to the officers. 

- Yes, that’s correct. I was waiting to be DQd. Which happened the following month. 

- Yes, IR1.

- The trip was literally gonna be 1 day. I was coming back the same day. 

@ritaburglar is right. There’s generally no issues if you say you’re going for leisure and when you’re planning to return. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as lucky. The officers kept saying that I’m not doing anything illegal and unfortunately it’s just the law. However, since May I haven’t been able to cross the border cause this whole process has been taking so long. They said that I can’t enter while the process is ongoing. So even though they said I’m not doing anything illegal, it certainly feels like it lol. I went from crossing the border just for a bite to eat to not being able to cross at all. They were saying that what if I cross and didn’t come back, how would they know? To that I was like, this process has been so mentally, emotionally and financially draining, why in the world would I do anything illegal or stupid that could sabotage this whole process. (I obviously didn’t say that to the officer lol but was thinking it). Guess it didn’t matter anymore. I wasn’t as lucky. Everything can drastically change based on the officer you’re speaking to. It’s all up to them. 

I’m not sure of the legality behind all of this so don’t take my comments as legal advice but I’m pretty sure there’s no reason why you can’t cross for a leisure trip while this process is ongoing. You should be able to travel freely as a visitor. Don’t exceed your stay and don’t do anything illegal of course. 

1 minute ago, kryptonite said:

- They knew we were in the process just out of questioning. I happened to be crossing with my wife at the time which was actually the first time. Previously I have crossed multiple multiple times just for leisure. I live 15 mins from the border so it’s so common for me. I was crossing with my wife and we were going to her apartment. She had recently moved to the state that shares the border with my city. I was just helping her move. Everyone I spoke to afterwards (friends and family) said that this was the issue. I had told the border officers that I’m helping my wife move and settle into her apartment. Once they asked our relationship and why we’re in different countries, it obviously came up that we were in the immigration process. Every other time I crossed, it was always for leisure - going out to eat, shopping, etc. This time it was with my wife and it was to HER apartment, they pulled us in. If I had said we were just going shopping or whatever I don’t think we would’ve been pulled in. But that’s okay - can’t change that now. But what you say is very important. I was obviously just trying to tell the truth to the officers. 

- Yes, that’s correct. I was waiting to be DQd. Which happened the following month. 

- Yes, IR1.

- The trip was literally gonna be 1 day. I was coming back the same day. 

@ritaburglar is right. There’s generally no issues if you say you’re going for leisure and when you’re planning to return. Unfortunately, I wasn’t as lucky. The officers kept saying that I’m not doing anything illegal and unfortunately it’s just the law. However, since May I haven’t been able to cross the border cause this whole process has been taking so long. They said that I can’t enter while the process is ongoing. So even though they said I’m not doing anything illegal, it certainly feels like it lol. I went from crossing the border just for a bite to eat to not being able to cross at all. They were saying that what if I cross and didn’t come back, how would they know? To that I was like, this process has been so mentally, emotionally and financially draining, why in the world would I do anything illegal or stupid that could sabotage this whole process. (I obviously didn’t say that to the officer lol but was thinking it). Guess it didn’t matter anymore. I wasn’t as lucky. Everything can drastically change based on the officer you’re speaking to. It’s all up to them. 

I’m not sure of the legality behind all of this so don’t take my comments as legal advice but I’m pretty sure there’s no reason why you can’t cross for a leisure trip while this process is ongoing. You should be able to travel freely as a visitor. Don’t exceed your stay and don’t do anything illegal of course. 

Wow! That's crazy!  My lawyer warned me that it's completely up to the particular customs officer.  The one time I was given a hassle was crossing the land border by car.  They are so busy at Pearson that I have never had more than the typical "Where are you going?" "When are you back?" I'm back and forth monthly.  Only ever had that one issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.