Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
46 minutes ago, mike_b2020 said:

That’s what I’m also planning, do my landing and visa stamp but won’t move until a few months after. 

I do see it’s correct that you’ll lose healthcare after becoming LPR, but has anyone confirmed that, Where they were seeking healthcare but was told they no longer have coverage? 

I don't think clinic/hospitals would know tbh. But I have heard the issue comes up when you are doing your taxes later. 

I am still confused though. Dual citizenship is allowed in these two countries and alot of people commute back/forth with their US green card who live in border cities and use Canadian healthcare.

Hi Everyone,

Received my DQ notice this morning and now awaiting my interview notice for the Montreal consulate.  Does anyone have any insight into how long it takes from this point to receiving an interview date with that particular embassy location?  Am I just waiting for a second letter from the NVC now?

Thanks in advance!

Timeline
26 minutes ago, ajxl888 said:

Hi Everyone,

Received my DQ notice this morning and now awaiting my interview notice for the Montreal consulate.  Does anyone have any insight into how long it takes from this point to receiving an interview date with that particular embassy location?  Am I just waiting for a second letter from the NVC now?

Thanks in advance!

Go to this link below and this will help you out with your concern. This spread sheet is for the US embassy in Montreal only.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LvnDvX95_tfWtTvsJJM49PDPPvPKal0WG2rgdZHhsz0/edit#gid=255923754

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, waterlooengineer said:

I don't think clinic/hospitals would know tbh. But I have heard the issue comes up when you are doing your taxes later. 

I am still confused though. Dual citizenship is allowed in these two countries and alot of people commute back/forth with their US green card who live in border cities and use Canadian healthcare.

Untrue.  The countries share information.  The provinces share information.  It may not register straight away, but you can be charged for any services sought after.  Canada is cracking down on medical tourism, too.  So, it's important not to be using services you're no longer entitled to.  

That said, if your spouse is in the US already, they should be able to add you to their health care insurance and you'd be covered if there's travel insurance on their plan.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mam521 said:

Untrue.  The countries share information.  The provinces share information.  It may not register straight away, but you can be charged for any services sought after.  Canada is cracking down on medical tourism, too.  So, it's important not to be using services you're no longer entitled to.  

That said, if your spouse is in the US already, they should be able to add you to their health care insurance and you'd be covered if there's travel insurance on their plan.  

Yes, but in this case, I am not living in the US. I intend to do immigrant landing and come back to Canada while still continuing to do my job, pay taxes, mortgage (until I sell the house) and bills. People living in border cities live in Canada and work in the US. Though there US employers might provide them with insurance, but you are saying they are not covered in Canada even though they live and pay taxes in Canada too? Since their primary residence is Canada. (check commuter status)

Timeline
3 minutes ago, waterlooengineer said:

Yes, but in this case, I am not living in the US. I intend to do immigrant landing and come back to Canada while still continuing to do my job, pay taxes, mortgage (until I sell the house) and bills. People living in border cities live in Canada and work in the US. Though there US employers might provide them with insurance, but you are saying they are not covered in Canada even though they live and pay taxes in Canada too? Since their primary residence is Canada. (check commuter status)

When you activate your PR, the assumed intent is that you are moving to the US to live as a permanent resident.  Why would you go through the greencard process if that wasn't the intent? 

People who live in border cities and commute are still subject to immigration laws.  They have to be dual or have a work visa.  They are subject to filing taxes in both countries. PR doesn't afford the same convenience because the assumed intent is you live in the US, not Canada and without sufficient substantial presence, you're subject to abandoning your PR.  It's why the US requires people to file an I-131 if they are a PR and intend to be outside of the US for an extended period of time. Dual citizenship or Canadian citizenship with US work authorization are the cake and eat it too when it comes to accessing Canadian social benefits while being paid in USD; US PR is not.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
5 minutes ago, mam521 said:

When you activate your PR, the assumed intent is that you are moving to the US to live as a permanent resident.  Why would you go through the greencard process if that wasn't the intent? 

People who live in border cities and commute are still subject to immigration laws.  They have to be dual or have a work visa.  They are subject to filing taxes in both countries. PR doesn't afford the same convenience because the assumed intent is you live in the US, not Canada and without sufficient substantial presence, you're subject to abandoning your PR.  It's why the US requires people to file an I-131 if they are a PR and intend to be outside of the US for an extended period of time. Dual citizenship or Canadian citizenship with US work authorization are the cake and eat it too when it comes to accessing Canadian social benefits while being paid in USD; US PR is not.  

Intent is to move to the US ofcourse. As I mentioned just need a couple of months to wrap things up. Seems like US PR does not have the benefits as dual citizens do. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

What about taxes? Once I land as a US PR, and my property gets sold after, do I need to pay any taxes to the US? Since here in Canada there are no taxes if you sell your primary residence. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, waterlooengineer said:

Intent is to move to the US ofcourse. As I mentioned just need a couple of months to wrap things up. Seems like US PR does not have the benefits as dual citizens do. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

What about taxes? Once I land as a US PR, and my property gets sold after, do I need to pay any taxes to the US? Since here in Canada there are no taxes if you sell your primary residence. 

If you are just transiting for a trip, I'd definitely just make sure CBP is aware you're only in transit and make a clean break when you're actually ready to move to the US.  It will definitely lessen the migraine inducing challenges of moving after an already lengthy process of navigating US immigration. 

I would sell your property before you activate your PR otherwise there are potential implications because it's no longer considered a principle residence.  Maybe it's not a big deal, but I can't say for sure.  We sold our principle residence when I initially moved on a work visa.  We still had a rental property in Canada and getting the disposition documentation from the government when we sold it was a REAL pain in the behind. I don't think COVID has helped the CRA work any faster in the current climate; our sale was pre-pandemic and it took escalation due to financial hardship after 6mo of waiting, continuing to pay a mortgage on a property we didn't own and angry Canuck lawyers before we finally got our paperwork.  Again, not at all saying that would be the case for you, but as you're likely well aware that dealing with the CRA in general is often an exercise in futility, so I recommend avoiding any complications at all costs.  The Canadian CRA divisions don't speak to international tax divisions and it's enough to give you PTSD.  There have been some threads about selling Canadian property on the forum, though, so you may want to give it a search.  

For this first year of taxes with both countries, I'd hire a cross border accountant.  

Edited by mam521

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Timeline
10 minutes ago, mam521 said:

If you are just transiting for a trip, I'd definitely just make sure CBP is aware you're only in transit and make a clean break when you're actually ready to move to the US.  It will definitely lessen the migraine inducing challenges of moving after an already lengthy process of navigating US immigration. 

I would sell your property before you activate your PR otherwise there are potential implications because it's no longer considered a principle residence.  Maybe it's not a big deal, but I can't say for sure.  We sold our principle residence when I initially moved on a work visa.  We still had a rental property in Canada and getting the disposition documentation from the government when we sold it was a REAL pain in the behind. I don't think COVID has helped the CRA work any faster in the current climate; our sale was pre-pandemic and it took escalation due to financial hardship after 6mo of waiting, continuing to pay a mortgage on a property we didn't own and angry Canuck lawyers before we finally got our paperwork.  Again, not at all saying that would be the case for you, but as you're likely well aware that dealing with the CRA in general is often an exercise in futility, so I recommend avoiding any complications at all costs.  The Canadian CRA divisions don't speak to international tax divisions and it's enough to give you PTSD.  There have been some threads about selling Canadian property on the forum, though, so you may want to give it a search.  

For this first year of taxes with both countries, I'd hire a cross border accountant.  

Oh wow that wouldn't have been a fun transaction at all. It is impossible to close my primary house before my upcoming trip in 4 weeks that involves a US transit. I think best option would be just to ask the US border agents to grant me entry as a visitor and not as a landed immigrant. Hopefully they approve that. 

Thank you. Will def hire a cross border accountant. Any recommendations? 

Edited by waterlooengineer

Timeline

I'm not going to quote everyone as some of this will be repeated. 

Waterloo, since you don't want to move just yet you really are at the discretion of the border official. It used to be if you didn't want to endorse the visa you left the packet at home. Now with things being digital, they may not be able to catch it and it not endorse things. Like what happened with Family One. 

You will also want to get that sale on the house done and settled before your move date. Once you endorse that visa for tax purposes the sale of the house becomes a pain. ( I can't help you with what all is involved, but others have regretted not having the sale finale before the move.)

As for medical yes it is gone when you endorse the visa. No they won't know if you use it right away but Canada has cracked down on this and when they put two and two together they will send you the full bill for it. That could be years later but they will.

Too many ppl confuse what snowbirds and students do to ppl who are immigrating out of Canada. One is temporary not living out of Canada the other is actually leaving Canada. 

As for those who live on the border, or dual citizens again it goes by where do you hang your hat? Working in the US  but living in Canada means you are a Canadian resident. I know a Canadian CBP agent who moved to the US works for the Canadian CBP and she and her kids cannot use Canadian health care. Remember any additional health insurance provided by an employer is add on insurance. It's supplemental insurance to compliment the provincial insurance.  

Now if you live in one of the few provinces that you pay a small amount for your provincial insurance then things are a bit different. BC for example has you pay ahead for your insurance. SO coverage for them would last until that day they list as your coverage period. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Hello all, I have my interview coming up soon. Here are the documents I plan to take. Please let me know if anything else is needed:

• Interview letter
  • Passport + copy
  • 2 passport photos
  • DS-260 confirmation
  • Birth certificate + copy
  • Marriage certificate + copy
  • Certified divorce decree + copy
  • Police certificates + copy
  • Petitioner passport copy
  • Petitioner birth certificate + copy
  • Birth certificate of our son + copy
  • Resume

For domicile, at NVC stage we had submitted I-864 showing assets only since my wife was with me in Canada. She has since moved to the US 3 months ago and has secured a job making $57,000. So we are planning on her being the sponsor and showing her income on I-864 instead of assets. Is that enough? We don't have tax returns for last 3 years since she had no income.

Documents we have for domicile:

• Job offer letter
  • Paystubs for the last 2 months
  • Rental agreement with her parents
  • Bank statement
  • IRA statement
  • Kindergarten application for our son at private schools
  • Voting record

Thanks!

Edited by ctr

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ctr said:

Hello all, I have my interview coming up soon. Here are the documents I plan to take. Please let me know if anything else is needed:

• Interview letter
  • Passport + copy
  • 2 passport photos
  • DS-260 confirmation
  • Birth certificate + copy
  • Marriage certificate + copy
  • Certified divorce decree + copy
  • Police certificates + copy
  • Petitioner passport copy
  • Petitioner birth certificate + copy
  • Birth certificate of our son + copy
  • Resume

For domicile, at NVC stage we had submitted I-864 showing assets only since my wife was with me in Canada. She has since moved to the US 3 months ago and has secured a job making $57,000. So we are planning on her being the sponsor and showing her income on I-864 instead of assets. Is that enough? We don't have tax returns for last 3 years since she had no income.

Documents we have for domicile:

• Job offer letter
  • Paystubs for the last 2 months
  • Rental agreement with her parents
  • Bank statement
  • IRA statement
  • Kindergarten application for our son at private schools
  • Voting record

Thanks!

Not sure on the things with your wife switching to your sponsor...

but my interview was 3 weeks ago. I had soon much ready and they only asked for my marriage certificate, my police check, my birth certificate, my passport and my photo! 

It's better to be over prepared than under prepared for sure!! 

Timeline

Question on the medical exam results, I did my medical today with Dr. Randall Lee, he mentioned no medical results, receipts or documents are sent to me, everything goes to the embassy. 

was this the same for everyone else? I heard some had the medical exam envelop and confirmation docs, but the doctor said they no longer do that..

Timeline
11 hours ago, mike_b2020 said:

Question on the medical exam results, I did my medical today with Dr. Randall Lee, he mentioned no medical results, receipts or documents are sent to me, everything goes to the embassy. 

was this the same for everyone else? I heard some had the medical exam envelop and confirmation docs, but the doctor said they no longer do that..

Rest easy!  That's the way it's done now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.