iamakbar

6 month stay on Tourist visa?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

MIL has a 10 year tourist visa that expires in 2029.

She came back in 2019 for 2.5 months.

We are trying to have her stay for the full 6 months/180 days this time. 

She is coming from Morocco to USA, she is vaccinated and will produce a (hopefully) negative test as well. 

Are there any issues we will face that I am not aware of? 

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

since the Moroccan entered in July 2018 and is now eligible to apply for citizenship,  it could look like the intent is to naturalize and apply for AOS for MIL by having her stay longer 

up to officer at POE to decide if she can stay 6 months

make sure there is a round trip ticket and she can prove that

make sure when she leaves it is a few days prior to the 180 days in case we have airport delays and doesn't leave the country in time

1 hour ago, iamakbar said:

MIL has a 10 year tourist visa that expires in 2029.

She came back in 2019 for 2.5 months.

She is coming from Morocco to USA, she is vaccinated and will produce a (hopefully) negative test as well. 

Are there any issues we will face that I am not aware of? 

Thank you.

It could look like she is trying to bypass the queue for a visa by coming over to adjust status.  It is not a good idea to ever lie at the border.

If she wants to move here, do it the right way and petition her.

If she genuinely wants to visit, she will need to show strong ties to Morocco so that they believe she will leave the US on time.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

It could look like she is trying to bypass the queue for a visa by coming over to adjust status.  It is not a good idea to ever lie at the border.

If she wants to move here, do it the right way and petition her.

If she genuinely wants to visit, she will need to show strong ties to Morocco so that they believe she will leave the US on time.

She’s not going to lie, we genuinely want her here for the full 180 days then return.

For strong ties to Morocco can we use husband/son/family? Or would a job be better? 

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

And something you have not considered is that 6 months is the longest she can be granted, but the actual length is set at the CBP agent's discretion.

So if we already have a ticket bought we have to change it?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, iamakbar said:

Ultimately, length of stay will be determined by CBP agent at airport.

Timeline
2 hours ago, nastra30 said:

Ultimately, length of stay will be determined by CBP agent at airport.

So we don’t buy a return flight until she arrives? I’m just wondering what our options are if we already have the return flight

Also, does she need to go back to the consulate or just arrive and talk to a CBP

19 minutes ago, iamakbar said:

So we don’t buy a return flight until she arrives? I’m just wondering what our options are if we already have the return flight

Also, does she need to go back to the consulate or just arrive and talk to a CBP

Again, the length of time is determined by CBP at the border.  The embassy just issues visas.  Admission to the US is at the discretion of the border agents.  

Having a return ticket does not guarantee that she will be allowed to stay for that length of time.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 minutes ago, iamakbar said:

OMG NO

buying a one way ticket would definitely look like she intends to stay permanent and AOS

she needs a round trip as i said in my 1st post

if CPB agent only allows 90 days (or other) , u will have to change return flight

she already has the 10 year tourist visa so don't mess it up 

husband and son are not strong ties as a LPR can petition for them to come( if she stayed to AOS)

job,  owning property,  etc those are strong ties

Please don't mess us up as we want my MIL to visit next summer 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

THe length of time is determined by CBP.  If they shorte her stay to less than 6 months then yes you have to change the plane ticket.  Not everyone received 6 months.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, iamakbar said:

It’s always good to have a return ticket, if she has a return ticket then I’m guessing it’s good for six months, meaning if she arrives this September her return ticket is dated for March of next year?  I’m asking because if the immigration officer asked her how long she is planning on staying and she says 6 months what reason would she give if the officer asked what will she be doing during those six months? 

Buy a round flight ticket -that's proof of her returning- but don't go for the maximum length.

She's was in the US for 2.5 months in 2019, make it 8-10 weeks this time, at most.

19 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Buy a round flight ticket -that's proof of her returning- but don't go for the maximum length.

She's was in the US for 2.5 months in 2019, make it 8-10 weeks this time, at most.

10-12 weeks.

10 hours ago, iamakbar said:

Well, if the test is positive she won’t be allowed to fly, so yes…

4 hours ago, iamakbar said:

Book a flexible/changeable ticket in case you need to change it. Many airlines are currently offering no change fees anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.