Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We called Canada today (helpline for travel) and asked if my fully vaccinated husband (and I who is quarantining with him) who entered Canada on July 2 can be exempt of serving his remaining quarantine given the new regulations effective today. The answer was NO. Since he entered before the new regulation came into effect, he is subject to the old laws. :(

@annierob @HD_BIRDS  

Timeline
38 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

We called Canada today (helpline for travel) and asked if my fully vaccinated husband (and I who is quarantining with him) who entered Canada on July 2 can be exempt of serving his remaining quarantine given the new regulations effective today. The answer was NO. Since he entered before the new regulation came into effect, he is subject to the old laws. :(

@annierob @HD_BIRDS  

I was just about to call, so thank you, this saves me that time.

So unfortunate, I got in July 3...by foot in the rain LOL So hopefully an IL this week will make things better!

I'll be "free" on July 17...I can't wait

Timeline
52 minutes ago, annierob said:

I was just about to call, so thank you, this saves me that time.

So unfortunate, I got in July 3...by foot in the rain LOL So hopefully an IL this week will make things better!

I'll be "free" on July 17...I can't wait

Hi. How do you cross the border by foot? You just show your passport and they let you in? 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, alphabetagamma said:

Hi. How do you cross the border by foot? You just show your passport and they let you in? 

I had to cross by foot because I arrived on July 3, 2 days before the rules changed for double vaccinated Canadians. Otherwise, I would have flown directly to Montreal from Las Vegas. So I flew to Burlington, and crossed at the St-Armand border between Vermont and Quebec.

My father-in-law drove me to the border (stopped before the US border buildings, which are before the Canadian ones, so he wouldn’t get caught going through the border), and my father picked me up on the other side. It’s about an 8 min walk along the highway on the US side.

Then, you walk to the only open station, where basically cars usually pass by, and you speak to the border agent. I had my passport and my CDC vaccination proof, and my negative COVID test which needs to be done 72 hours prior to entry. I had also checked in to the ArriveCAN app 72 hours prior - so he had my case and all my details up. I also registered for the Switch Health account for the COVID testing.

He asked me how long I was gone for, where I was going to stay, and if I had gifts (and their value). He then handed me two COVID test boxes. I did one test directly in a tent right after the border, and my second one is on day 8 of my entry. 

It was all in all a super easy process. It was just a little bit of a nightmare getting there. Especially because I was going West to East coast.

But given all the new rules, I’d refer to the government site to better understand what is required at entry:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

1 hour ago, annierob said:

I had to cross by foot because I arrived on July 3, 2 days before the rules changed for double vaccinated Canadians. Otherwise, I would have flown directly to Montreal from Las Vegas. So I flew to Burlington, and crossed at the St-Armand border between Vermont and Quebec.

My father-in-law drove me to the border (stopped before the US border buildings, which are before the Canadian ones, so he wouldn’t get caught going through the border), and my father picked me up on the other side. It’s about an 8 min walk along the highway on the US side.

Then, you walk to the only open station, where basically cars usually pass by, and you speak to the border agent. I had my passport and my CDC vaccination proof, and my negative COVID test which needs to be done 72 hours prior to entry. I had also checked in to the ArriveCAN app 72 hours prior - so he had my case and all my details up. I also registered for the Switch Health account for the COVID testing.

He asked me how long I was gone for, where I was going to stay, and if I had gifts (and their value). He then handed me two COVID test boxes. I did one test directly in a tent right after the border, and my second one is on day 8 of my entry. 

It was all in all a super easy process. It was just a little bit of a nightmare getting there. Especially because I was going West to East coast.

But given all the new rules, I’d refer to the government site to better understand what is required at entry:

Did you have to pay for the tests? Was thinking I should try to get my husband to come up but if he has to pay for even more tests it won’t be worth it.

Timeline
47 minutes ago, Twiz&Toz said:

Did you have to pay for the tests? Was thinking I should try to get my husband to come up but if he has to pay for even more tests it won’t be worth it.

In Canada? No, it’s free.

The tests I did in the US were also free at Walgreens.

Timeline
2 hours ago, annierob said:

In Canada? No, it’s free.

The tests I did in the US were also free at Walgreens.

As a Canadian citizen how did you get it for free? Did you just use your passport or called in for an appointment?

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Booey_US_CA said:

As a Canadian citizen how did you get it for free? Did you just use your passport or called in for an appointment?

Booked it via Walgreens’ website a few days prior the 72-hour window to make sure I had a spot, and simply showed my passport at my appointment (did it via drive thru) - make sure you book a PCR test (no other test will be accepted at the border):

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-testing.jsp?ban=covidfy21_newtestingpg_brandstory_main_053021

Edited by annierob

Timeline
16 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

@annierob @HD_BIRDS  

Oh wow, that's too bad. I am really sorry to hear this. Sticking to a rule because of a technicality rather than science is really unfortunate for families who have been separated for so long. I live in the US and am going to Canada to see my mother and sister Friday after 15 months.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
34 minutes ago, HD_BIRDS said:

Oh wow, that's too bad. I am really sorry to hear this. Sticking to a rule because of a technicality rather than science is really unfortunate for families who have been separated for so long. I live in the US and am going to Canada to see my mother and sister Friday after 15 months.

I'm leaving this Friday to fly to Canada, I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen, fully-vaccinated, I got my first COVID test done yesterday at CVS and hope the results are available by Friday morning when I board my flight to Canada, hoping that the new rules apply to my situation even though I live in the US.  I haven't seen my 94-year old Mom in Canada for two years so it's time and she is getting very frail.  Good thing I have a current Canadian passport.  It didn't make sense to me that I needed to upload a 14-day quarantine plan in Canada with the new rules, I'm only planning on a quick trip returning Sunday so we'll see how this goes.  I registered for another COVID test at the airport on arrival, hoping I can use those results to board my return flight on Sunday, to make sure I'm getting another test at Walgreen's tomorrow.  ArriveCAN app, Verifly app, registrations for three COVID tests, I'm sure I can't remember all the passwords.  All this bureaucracy is crazy and doesn't make sense for people who are fully vaccinated.  Here's hoping families can see each other by entering Canada if you qualify.  Good luck to everyone who is waiting for an interview in Montreal!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

I'm leaving this Friday to fly to Canada, I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen, fully-vaccinated, I got my first COVID test done yesterday at CVS and hope the results are available by Friday morning when I board my flight to Canada, hoping that the new rules apply to my situation even though I live in the US.  I haven't seen my 94-year old Mom in Canada for two years so it's time and she is getting very frail.  Good thing I have a current Canadian passport.  It didn't make sense to me that I needed to upload a 14-day quarantine plan in Canada with the new rules, I'm only planning on a quick trip returning Sunday so we'll see how this goes.  I registered for another COVID test at the airport on arrival, hoping I can use those results to board my return flight on Sunday, to make sure I'm getting another test at Walgreen's tomorrow.  ArriveCAN app, Verifly app, registrations for three COVID tests, I'm sure I can't remember all the passwords.  All this bureaucracy is crazy and doesn't make sense for people who are fully vaccinated.  Here's hoping families can see each other by entering Canada if you qualify.  Good luck to everyone who is waiting for an interview in Montreal!

From my understanding, the new rules apply for all Canadian citizens and permanent residents. But let us know how it goes, and I will too when I travel Friday.

Timeline
15 hours ago, annierob said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

Let us know how it all plays out.  I'm sure it will be wonderful to finally wrap your arms around your mom after so long!

I have my paternal grandmother who is 98 years young today, actually, and my maternal grandfather who's 88 years old and is dying of congenital heart failure.  He was the total patriarch and we were close to him growing up because my parents divorced when we were young, so he's always been the male role model.  I'd really like an opportunity to see him and that opportunity not to be under duress.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.