dangime

Mandamus Lawsuit Against NVC, Lawyer Wants to Withdraw

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Deagle said:

Maybe what your lawyer is saying is the other source.

It confirms the part about potentially losing K1 mandamus cases, but not the lack of renewals in general part. I'll email the embassy and see if they say anything. 

Edited by dangime

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
18 minutes ago, dangime said:

It confirms the part about potentially losing K1 mandamus cases, but not the lack of renewals in general part. I'll email the embassy and see if they say anything. 

Let us know if you know something new. Good luck. 

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Does the voluntary withdrawal come with a refund?

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
34 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Does the voluntary withdrawal come with a refund?

34 minutes ago, dangime said:

I made him that offer. 

Usually what happens in this case is:

If the client had paid in full, the lawyer will charge them only what he worked so far based on hourly wage + filing/court/postal fees and refund the balance.

If the client is on payment plan, they will only pay what the lawyer worked so far and the contract gets terminated with no further financial responsibility.

In this case, the lawyer might agree to refund you in full minus the court/filing fees. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As far as I know they are not extending K1 WoM, otherwise things seem to be OK.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Does anyone know if there are online statistics on the cases submitted? 

You can look up a few things on pacer, but it's just individual cases.

2 minutes ago, dangime said:

You can look up a few things on pacer, but it's just individual cases.

Thank you! 

I just listen to the video. Since the Department of State made the decision, people could technically write to members of congress, those in the Foreign Affairs committee. If they get someone who listens, they are supposed to oversee the bureaucracy and can formally ask them for an answer on the matter.

Edited by Coco8

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
6 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

After watching, it Seems that the attorney is, indeed, concerned with the expiration of K-1 cases.......they send them back and they die.  That has always been a disadvantage of a K-1.  He makes a great case for spousal visas.

Wow!!!  He recommended that all his clients withdraw the K-1 and get married....at this stage....wow!!

Lol but we always say here that people should really consider going the CR1 route but nobody ever listens...aaaaya

Timeline
6 hours ago, Deagle said:

If the client had paid in full, the lawyer will charge them only what he worked so far based on hourly wage + filing/court/postal fees and refund the balance.

Lawyers,  or rather the paralegals who do most of the footwork, can pad the invoice as much as they want and it's almost impossible for client to disprove the # of hours.. I would never pay an attorney in full, because once you do, you lose ALL your negotiating power once payment has cleared.

As for these Mandamus lawsuits, theirs meritless IMO due to the pandemic, take the pandemic out of the equation and you'd have a case.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Curious why you decided to take legal action against the NVC rather than the Manilla Embassy?  That is where your hold up is, Manilla is using any and all excuses they can find to not process visas, and until that changes no one will have their packet forwarded from the NVC. I know of at least 1 suit with over 100 plaintiffs targeting Manilla for this exact reason.

Timeline
11 hours ago, nykolos said:

Lawyers,  or rather the paralegals who do most of the footwork, can pad the invoice as much as they want and it's almost impossible for client to disprove the # of hours.. I would never pay an attorney in full, because once you do, you lose ALL your negotiating power once payment has cleared.

As for these Mandamus lawsuits, theirs meritless IMO due to the pandemic, take the pandemic out of the equation and you'd have a case.

I hired a lawyer few months ago. I paid in full but the lawyer did not do what he said he will (timeframe wise). I asked for a refund and that I did my part of the contract by paying what he asked for, but he didn't fulfill his part by filing on time. He said he was understaffed and apologized, gave me a full refund and few weeks after I got an email from their quality team apologizing again and offered 20% discount for any future business. 

Yes, COVID delayed a lot.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

This seems so dishonest.   The US government treating its citizens like #######!   My wife and I debated on doing the K-1 or the CR-1 and decided on the Marriage visa because it seemed easier long term.  I would be devastated if my government did this to me!   Two presidents in a row screwing us over in different ways. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.