12 posts in this topic

Hi,
I came to the US on a K1 visa on February 2020. We got married within the 90 days. Because of covid and lack of employment, we sent i485 on December 2020 but the petition was returned later because we stupidly forgot the check. Resent it and officially filed on February of this year. We got an RFE for proof of citizenship (even though we sent copies of passport) which we responded to.
Earlier this month, we got another RFE for my husband's proof of income (US citizen, freelance). They were asking for W2s and the like. We spoke to 2 attorneys and they both told us we could respond to the RFE ourselves without wasting legal fees. They also told me if we get rejected we could just refile.
I'm still worried and would like opinions, in the case of the second RFE's rejection, how likely it is that I will be deported since by the time I filed the AOS it was beyond 90 days. Nothing was said about filing within 90 days and they only asked that we be married within 90 days. Had we known, we would have taken a loan. It is causing me a lot of anxiety and I saw a thread (dating of 2010 but still) where the person got denied because they were out of status by the time they filed.

Edited by nox5589

Hi Lucky Cat, thank you for taking the time to respond.
We will be responding to the RFE once we print out all the paperwork.
I was curious if I am at risk of being deported in case my i485 got denied if our RFE response is not enough for uscis, especially that we filed AOS very late. I know it's just ifs and buts, but it's a scary possibility.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Its not about the timing of when you filed,  it's about providing sufficient evidence to approve the application. 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, nox5589 said:

I was curious if I am at risk of being deported in case my i485 got denied if our RFE response is not enough for uscis, especially that we filed AOS very late. I know it's just ifs and buts, but it's a scary possibility.

Assuming your I-485 is denied, you will have 33 days from the date of the denial letter to either appeal (not recommended) or file a new package (recommended; your lawyers are correct). Refilling would extend your authorized  presence. Bonus: no need to later file I-751. Anti-bonus: longer wait to file for citizenship 

Regarding the current case: Provided you respond to the RFE with everything being asked for and the petitioner has consistently exceeded the required income in 2021 and previous years, I’m confident you will be approved or scheduled for interview. 

At the interview I advise the US citizen to bring an original US birth certificate, and updated income evidence (past 3 months pay stubs, 2021 tax transcript).  

Edited by Mike E

23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Assuming your I-485 is denied, you will have 33 days from the date of the denial letter to either appeal (not recommended) or file a new package (recommended; your lawyers are correct). Refilling would extend your authorized  presence. Bonus: no need to later file I-751. Anti-bonus: longer wait to file for citizenship 

Regarding the current case: Provided you respond to the RFE with everything being asked for and the petitioner has consistently exceeded the required income in 2021 and previous years, I’m confident you will be approved or scheduled for interview. 

At the interview I advise the US citizen to bring an original US birth certificate, and updated income evidence (past 3 months pay stubs, 2021 tax transcript).  

Thank you Mike E for your time and detailed response, I truly appreciate it.

I think we will be working with a lawyer to help check our RFE response to avoid any mishaps since this is our second one and my husband's freelance status requires a lot of proof (he also filed taxes for the first time as married filing jointly, so our fault for not providing detailed proof of his income).

Forgive me for asking again for your opinion, but since my i-94 have expired by the time we filed for AOS, do you think we should have had included the i-130 form?

Edited by nox5589

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, nox5589 said:

I think we will be working with a lawyer to help check our RFE response to avoid any mishaps since this is our second one and my husband's freelance status requires a lot of proof (he also filed taxes for the first time as married filing jointly, so our fault for not providing detailed proof of his income).

I completely agree with that course of action.  

Forgive me for asking again for your opinion, but since my i-94 have expired by the time we filed for AOS, do you think we should have had included the i-130 form?

The I-130 would buy you nothing in this case.  While it is true you now have record of unlawful presence, the I-130 wouldn’t cure that.  Currently your presence is authorized and I advise you to not break authorized presence again: USCIS forgives unauthorized presence but ICE/CBP don’t have to, or put a different way, they have been known to not forgive it.  

The I-130 would only be useful and necessary if you failed to marry before the I-94 expired.  

Edited by Mike E

10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I completely agree with that course of action.  

The I-130 would buy you nothing in this case.  While it is true you now have record of unlawful presence, the I-130 wouldn’t cure that.  Currently your presence is authorized and I advise you to not break authorized presence again: USCIS forgives unauthorized presence but ICE/CBP don’t have to, or put a different way, they have been known to not forgive it.  

The I-130 would only be useful and necessary if you failed to marry before the I-94 expired.  

I agree and will definitely be more careful in the future. Had we known, we would have acted much quicker.

Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to write detailed explanations. Your answers had been extremely helpful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
16 hours ago, nox5589 said:

Hi,
I came to the US on a K1 visa on February 2020. We got married within the 90 days. Because of covid and lack of employment, we sent i485 on December 2020 but the petition was returned later because we stupidly forgot the check. Resent it and officially filed on February of this year. We got an RFE for proof of citizenship (even though we sent copies of passport) which we responded to.
Earlier this month, we got another RFE for my husband's proof of income (US citizen, freelance). They were asking for W2s and the like. We spoke to 2 attorneys and they both told us we could respond to the RFE ourselves without wasting legal fees. They also told me if we get rejected we could just refile.
I'm still worried and would like opinions, in the case of the second RFE's rejection, how likely it is that I will be deported since by the time I filed the AOS it was beyond 90 days. Nothing was said about filing within 90 days and they only asked that we be married within 90 days. Had we known, we would have taken a loan. It is causing me a lot of anxiety and I saw a thread (dating of 2010 but still) where the person got denied because they were out of status by the time they filed.

While the risk is low, there might be some danger for not filing for AOS in time. The danger might be until you get your NOAs; because that’s your evidence of “authorized stay” should you have an unfortunate encounter with border patrol or ICE. See this thread for an example of what could go wrong: 

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

19 hours ago, nox5589 said:

Hi Lucky Cat, thank you for taking the time to respond.
We will be responding to the RFE once we print out all the paperwork.

There are many, many people here illegally in this country for various reasons. Your situation does not even come close to theirs.  You were technically at risk of deportation for the time between the expiration date of the I-94 and the receipt date of your AOS filing but that’s in the past now. Once your AOS application is receipted and a receipt number generated the clock stops and you are in “authorized stay” until a decision is made on your application. Unless you are planning on breaking the law in the meantime, you’re good. 

Even if you hadn’t filed the AOS paperwork yet it’s very unlikely that you would be deported purely for the overstay. ICE has limited resources and they have much more serious cases to deal with than a law-abiding spouse who filed late due to financial hardship. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I got an RFE for my income despite being above the limit (I barely made the cutoff since I'm a grad student) but it still wasn't enough to convince them.  I had my mother do an Affidavit of Support rather than trying to fight it. I'd highly recommend that route if it's available. You can stay in the USA while the application is still active and not be in fear of deportation. An RFE is not a denial. My wife has taken three domestic flights between North Carolina and Washington as she has family over there and she has never had issues. She has flown home to SK twice (after getting the travel authorization). I'm using the Seattle office which has processing times of two years. We submitted Aug 2019, and finally got an appointment in Aug 2021. Still not over the finish line yet. In the meantime just stay up to date with the work authorization/travel permit if your application is taking that long. You should be able to get a Driver's License if you haven't already but that might depend on the state.

Edited by K1korean

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.