Jump to content
emmillinnee

Extended Visit/Tourist Visa while waiting

21 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

We found out today that our petition was transferred from Nebraska to Potomac office, thus meaning longer processing times. We both live in Spain currently and I (US Citizen) received a job offer with a start date of October 2021 and were hoping to both be able to move to the States for my job in the Fall. After the news, I spent the day trying to figure out if we could get it expedited/contact with representatives. My husband, from Spain and in possession of an ESTA visa, would be able to come for 3 months on a tourist visa, but I wondered if instead of trying to rush the processing times (which I know is a slim chance) if there were a way to just get an extended visitor visa while we are waiting? I know I've heard of other couples getting to visit for 6 months in the forum. Is that possible for Europe/US couples? Thanks for any advice ahead of time! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
2 minutes ago, arken said:

He can apply for the tourist visa which will generally allow for 6 months stay at a time however,  with the pending petition and 3 months visit availabiiity through ESTA, it is doomed for denial imo. Remember visitor visa denial will also nullify ESTA. I would use ESTA.

Do you think it would help if we were able to show an apartment lease and evidence that he had employment for the months from April through October (we live on an island with a heavy tourism season during those months and he generally works the entire 6 month season)? Thus offering a good reason for his return to Spain after the 6 months on the B2 visa? Just to clarify, if we move in October, he could have 6 months from October to April, and then if we are still waiting on the I-130 visa, return to Spain then. But at least it would give us 3 more months of wiggle room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A case transfer does not necessarily mean longer processing times.  Our case was transfer from Nebraska to Texas in 2016.  Our case was approved without any noticeable delay.  Good luck. 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

   -GB, "old man of much life experience"

 

Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
22 minutes ago, emmillinnee said:

We found out today that our petition was transferred from Nebraska to Potomac office, thus meaning longer processing times. We both live in Spain currently and I (US Citizen) received a job offer with a start date of October 2021 and were hoping to both be able to move to the States for my job in the Fall. After the news, I spent the day trying to figure out if we could get it expedited/contact with representatives. My husband, from Spain and in possession of an ESTA visa, would be able to come for 3 months on a tourist visa, but I wondered if instead of trying to rush the processing times (which I know is a slim chance) if there were a way to just get an extended visitor visa while we are waiting? I know I've heard of other couples getting to visit for 6 months in the forum. Is that possible for Europe/US couples? Thanks for any advice ahead of time! 

If he tries to get a B1/B2 and gets denied, his ESTA will be revoked and then the option to visit at all is quite hard. I read of a couple who tried this. Husband was from France, and they were denied, and now he cannot come to the US at all. I would either prepare to be separated for a bit or have him come in short visits over an extended period of time on the ESTA.


Met: February 2020
Filed I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé : July 2020
Married: February 2021
Canceled I-129F: February 2021
Filed I-130, Petition for Alien Relative: March 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
11 minutes ago, emmillinnee said:

Do you think it would help if we were able to show an apartment lease and evidence that he had employment for the months from April through October (we live on an island with a heavy tourism season during those months and he generally works the entire 6 month season)? Thus offering a good reason for his return to Spain after the 6 months on the B2 visa? Just to clarify, if we move in October, he could have 6 months from October to April, and then if we are still waiting on the I-130 visa, return to Spain then. But at least it would give us 3 more months of wiggle room. 

COs usually don't ask for any documents during the visitor visa interview in which case you cannot show anything nor tell anything unless asked. It's a gamble. People have been able to get the visa while i130 was pending but i'd assume they are primarily from non VWP countries. 


Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

.

.

.

.

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

There's also the problem that the Madrid embassy is only processing non-immigration visas for emergencies right now...so I don't even know if this would count as an "emergency" or if we could get an appointment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is not an emergency, hopefully normality will return but there will be a backlog.What that will look like is anybody's guess.


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

A case transfer does not necessarily mean longer processing times.  Our case was transfer from Nebraska to Texas in 2016.  Our case was approved without any noticeable delay.  Good luck. 

Oh gosh I hope you are right! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, emmillinnee said:

We found out today that our petition was transferred from Nebraska to Potomac office, thus meaning longer processing times. We both live in Spain currently and I (US Citizen) received a job offer with a start date of October 2021 and were hoping to both be able to move to the States for my job in the Fall. After the news, I spent the day trying to figure out if we could get it expedited/contact with representatives. My husband, from Spain and in possession of an ESTA visa, would be able to come for 3 months on a tourist visa, but I wondered if instead of trying to rush the processing times (which I know is a slim chance) if there were a way to just get an extended visitor visa while we are waiting? I know I've heard of other couples getting to visit for 6 months in the forum. Is that possible for Europe/US couples? Thanks for any advice ahead of time! 

 

36 minutes ago, arken said:

He can apply for the tourist visa which will generally allow for 6 months stay at a time however,  with the pending petition and 3 months visit availabiiity through ESTA, it is doomed for denial imo. Remember visitor visa denial will also nullify ESTA. I would use ESTA.

 

 

27 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I do not know how generous Madrid is with B's for Spaniards, if it is refused he needs to reapply for ESTA and tick the box he has been denied a visa. Which could complicate matters.

 

 

26 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

I mean, you can always try but the main issue with him getting a tourist visa is that he's declared immigrant intent with the filed I-130. From the embassy/consulate's point of view, it's probably not worth it to them to grant him an extended temporary-stay visa because they already know he's going to be moving permanently to the US soon enough. And even if he did get the extended tourist visa, CBP decides how long to let him stay for that specific visit. The tourist visa can be valid for a while, but visa validity is not the same as allowed visit-time. And you don't find the visit-time until you get to CBP.

 

24 minutes ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

If he tries to get a B1/B2 and gets denied, his ESTA will be revoked and then the option to visit at all is quite hard. I read of a couple who tried this. Husband was from France, and they were denied, and now he cannot come to the US at all. I would either prepare to be separated for a bit or have him come in short visits over an extended period of time on the ESTA.

Update to original post: I just looked at my husband's original ESTA and realized that it will expire next month. Can we re-apply for another ESTA? Or will that most likely get denied as well? In which case, should we just try applying for the B2 visa anyway if he already wouldn't be able to visit? And would a denial for a B2/ESTA visa affect the I-130 petition? 

Edited by emmillinnee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why would his ESTA be denied?

 

If it was then you have no other choice than to apply for a B.

 

Assuming it is the normal immigrant intent denial not an issue for 1 130


“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why would his ESTA be denied?

 

If it was then you have no other choice than to apply for a B.

 

Assuming it is the normal immigrant intent denial not an issue for 1 130

Sorry, I meant to ask if the renewal for the ESTA would likely get denied due to his pending I-130 visa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...