emmillinnee

Extended Visit/Tourist Visa while waiting

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

We found out today that our petition was transferred from Nebraska to Potomac office, thus meaning longer processing times. We both live in Spain currently and I (US Citizen) received a job offer with a start date of October 2021 and were hoping to both be able to move to the States for my job in the Fall. After the news, I spent the day trying to figure out if we could get it expedited/contact with representatives. My husband, from Spain and in possession of an ESTA visa, would be able to come for 3 months on a tourist visa, but I wondered if instead of trying to rush the processing times (which I know is a slim chance) if there were a way to just get an extended visitor visa while we are waiting? I know I've heard of other couples getting to visit for 6 months in the forum. Is that possible for Europe/US couples? Thanks for any advice ahead of time! 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, arken said:

He can apply for the tourist visa which will generally allow for 6 months stay at a time however,  with the pending petition and 3 months visit availabiiity through ESTA, it is doomed for denial imo. Remember visitor visa denial will also nullify ESTA. I would use ESTA.

Do you think it would help if we were able to show an apartment lease and evidence that he had employment for the months from April through October (we live on an island with a heavy tourism season during those months and he generally works the entire 6 month season)? Thus offering a good reason for his return to Spain after the 6 months on the B2 visa? Just to clarify, if we move in October, he could have 6 months from October to April, and then if we are still waiting on the I-130 visa, return to Spain then. But at least it would give us 3 more months of wiggle room. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

A case transfer does not necessarily mean longer processing times.  Our case was transfer from Nebraska to Texas in 2016.  Our case was approved without any noticeable delay.  Good luck. 

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
22 minutes ago, emmillinnee said:

We found out today that our petition was transferred from Nebraska to Potomac office, thus meaning longer processing times. We both live in Spain currently and I (US Citizen) received a job offer with a start date of October 2021 and were hoping to both be able to move to the States for my job in the Fall. After the news, I spent the day trying to figure out if we could get it expedited/contact with representatives. My husband, from Spain and in possession of an ESTA visa, would be able to come for 3 months on a tourist visa, but I wondered if instead of trying to rush the processing times (which I know is a slim chance) if there were a way to just get an extended visitor visa while we are waiting? I know I've heard of other couples getting to visit for 6 months in the forum. Is that possible for Europe/US couples? Thanks for any advice ahead of time! 

If he tries to get a B1/B2 and gets denied, his ESTA will be revoked and then the option to visit at all is quite hard. I read of a couple who tried this. Husband was from France, and they were denied, and now he cannot come to the US at all. I would either prepare to be separated for a bit or have him come in short visits over an extended period of time on the ESTA.

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
11 minutes ago, emmillinnee said:

Do you think it would help if we were able to show an apartment lease and evidence that he had employment for the months from April through October (we live on an island with a heavy tourism season during those months and he generally works the entire 6 month season)? Thus offering a good reason for his return to Spain after the 6 months on the B2 visa? Just to clarify, if we move in October, he could have 6 months from October to April, and then if we are still waiting on the I-130 visa, return to Spain then. But at least it would give us 3 more months of wiggle room. 

COs usually don't ask for any documents during the visitor visa interview in which case you cannot show anything nor tell anything unless asked. It's a gamble. People have been able to get the visa while i130 was pending but i'd assume they are primarily from non VWP countries. 

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

There's also the problem that the Madrid embassy is only processing non-immigration visas for emergencies right now...so I don't even know if this would count as an "emergency" or if we could get an appointment...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is not an emergency, hopefully normality will return but there will be a backlog.What that will look like is anybody's guess.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

A case transfer does not necessarily mean longer processing times.  Our case was transfer from Nebraska to Texas in 2016.  Our case was approved without any noticeable delay.  Good luck. 

Oh gosh I hope you are right! Thank you!

Timeline
48 minutes ago, emmillinnee said:

36 minutes ago, arken said:

He can apply for the tourist visa which will generally allow for 6 months stay at a time however,  with the pending petition and 3 months visit availabiiity through ESTA, it is doomed for denial imo. Remember visitor visa denial will also nullify ESTA. I would use ESTA.

27 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I do not know how generous Madrid is with B's for Spaniards, if it is refused he needs to reapply for ESTA and tick the box he has been denied a visa. Which could complicate matters.

26 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

I mean, you can always try but the main issue with him getting a tourist visa is that he's declared immigrant intent with the filed I-130. From the embassy/consulate's point of view, it's probably not worth it to them to grant him an extended temporary-stay visa because they already know he's going to be moving permanently to the US soon enough. And even if he did get the extended tourist visa, CBP decides how long to let him stay for that specific visit. The tourist visa can be valid for a while, but visa validity is not the same as allowed visit-time. And you don't find the visit-time until you get to CBP.

24 minutes ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

If he tries to get a B1/B2 and gets denied, his ESTA will be revoked and then the option to visit at all is quite hard. I read of a couple who tried this. Husband was from France, and they were denied, and now he cannot come to the US at all. I would either prepare to be separated for a bit or have him come in short visits over an extended period of time on the ESTA.

Update to original post: I just looked at my husband's original ESTA and realized that it will expire next month. Can we re-apply for another ESTA? Or will that most likely get denied as well? In which case, should we just try applying for the B2 visa anyway if he already wouldn't be able to visit? And would a denial for a B2/ESTA visa affect the I-130 petition? 

Edited by emmillinnee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Why would his ESTA be denied?

If it was then you have no other choice than to apply for a B.

Assuming it is the normal immigrant intent denial not an issue for 1 130

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Why would his ESTA be denied?

If it was then you have no other choice than to apply for a B.

Assuming it is the normal immigrant intent denial not an issue for 1 130

Sorry, I meant to ask if the renewal for the ESTA would likely get denied due to his pending I-130 visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.