dunebuggy

Rescheduling I-751 interview? Stuck overseas :(

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi all, May 2019 I-751 filer here and just received an NOA with an interview request for April 16, 2021 in the Portland field office.

My question: do they allow long-term rescheduling, such as for July? What would be a valid reason for this? We are stuck overseas can probably only come back in July.

As a long shot, can we do this in a consulate overseas? Most likely not but just putting that out there ;). Thanks in advance.

Key text in the NOA: "You are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled below, for the completion of your Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (Form I-751).... call the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 as soon as possible to reschedule your interview. There is no penalty for requesting that your appointment  be rescheduled."

Click to expand I-751 ROC Timeline

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

May 13, 2019: Opening of 90 day window to send application

May 25, 2019: [Day 0] Sent I-751 package to Phoenix via USPS Priority

May 31, 2019: [Day 6] NOA1 received (18 mo extension) & check cashed

June 09, 2019: [Day 15]  Biometrics Waived Letter Received, service center "NBC", text reading "This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics appointment."

Sept 13, 2019:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 7, 2020:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Mar 5, 2021:  Interview scheduled for April 16, 2021.

Apr 16, 2021:  Interview in Portland, OR. Refused entry to USCIS office due to have traveled abroad in the past 10 days. No interview. However, a few hours after refusal, received notice of approval and card produced!  

Apr 20, 2021:  Card mailed! "On April 20, 2021, we mailed your new card for your Form I751, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE"

Click to expand AOS Timeline / I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Spoiler

I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Mar 6, 2018: [Day -2] Sent I-131 package to Dallas Lockbox via USPS Priority

Mar 8, 2018: [Day 0] Package received at Dallas Lockbox

Mar 12, 2018: [Day 4] Credit card charged application fee

Mar 13, 2018: [Day 5] Text received confirming receipt

Mar 23, 2018: [Day 15] ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics appointment on Apr 11

Apr 18, 2018: [Day 41] Missed Apr 11 appt (on vacation), walked in Manhattan office with no appt, completed biometrics no problem

Jun 29, 2018: [Day 112] Received I-327 Travel Document / Reentry Permit (REP)

----------------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

It's a month from the interview. How are you stuck overseas? Most flights are operational. 

Anyway, you can call and reschedule. I'll warn you though, rescheduling during COVID might cost you. There are people waiting for their rescheduled interviews since 2020. 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Timona said:

It's a month from the interview. How are you stuck overseas? Most flights are operational. 

Anyway, you can call and reschedule. I'll warn you though, rescheduling during COVID might cost you. There are people waiting for their rescheduled interviews since 2020. 

Thanks Timona, do you know about rescheduling for 3 months in the future though? Understand it's a risk....

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

June 09, 2019: [Day 15]  Biometrics Waived Letter Received, service center "NBC", text reading "This notice informs you that USCIS is able to reuse your previously captured fingerprints and other biometrics. USCIS will run the same security checks and use your biometric data as in the past, however, it is not necessary for you to appear at a USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for biometrics appointment."

Sept 13, 2019:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 7, 2020:  Notice that I-751 was transferred to another office "That office now has jurisdiction over your case" 

Apr 16, 2021:  Interview in Portland, OR. Refused entry to USCIS office due to have traveled abroad in the past 10 days. No interview. However, a few hours after refusal, received notice of approval and card produced!  

Apr 20, 2021:  Card mailed! "On April 20, 2021, we mailed your new card for your Form I751, PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE"

Spoiler

Mar 23, 2018: [Day 15] ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics appointment on Apr 11

Apr 18, 2018: [Day 41] Missed Apr 11 appt (on vacation), walked in Manhattan office with no appt, completed biometrics no problem

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

Hi all, May 2019 I-751 filer here and just received an NOA with an interview request for April 16, 2021 in the Portland field office.

My question: do they allow long-term rescheduling, such as for July? What would be a valid reason for this? We are stuck overseas can probably only come back in July.

As a long shot, can we do this in a consulate overseas? Most likely not but just putting that out there ;). Thanks in advance.

Key text in the NOA: "You are hereby notified to appear for the interview appointment, as scheduled below, for the completion of your Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (Form I-751).... call the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 as soon as possible to reschedule your interview. There is no penalty for requesting that your appointment  be rescheduled."

You can choose to request your appointment be rescheduled but you don't get to choose the revised interview date.  They can reschedule it rather quickly or they can reschedule it to a much later date.   NO, you cannot do this in a consulate overseas.  We were also overseas when we received our interview notice.  We decided to rebook our flights and attend the interview as it could end up being a very long time before we could get a revised interview date.  Our interview letter also stated that we had to be back in the USA 14 days prior to interview date if we were overseas.  Otherwise we could not attend the interview.  I would highly recommend getting back to the US and attend the interview.  When does your extension letter expire?

6 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

Thanks Timona, do you know about rescheduling for 3 months in the future though? Understand it's a risk....

They will not just give you a date that close, IMO.

You are not stuck, you make the decision to stay there and don't travel back. Is there many flights back.

Like @Timona said there are a lot of people waiting to reschedule for months because of covid.

The best choice,  if you only reason to don't come back is the flight, is do whatever you can to fly back. 

An appointment right now is worthing more tan gold haha

Timeline
8 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

2 hours ago, Paula&Johnny said:

They will not just give you a date that close, IMO.

You are not stuck, you make the decision to stay there and don't travel back. Is there many flights back.

Like @Timona said there are a lot of people waiting to reschedule for months because of covid.

The best choice,  if you only reason to don't come back is the flight, is do whatever you can to fly back. 

An appointment right now is worthing more tan gold haha

@Paula&Johnny answered your question. 

There are definitely flights from Spain. 

Many people are begging for a chance for interview. You got one. Do not waste it. Nonetheless, you are free to reschedule. Just know you may be waiting for a long time for it to come. 

Goodluck 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

You could be waiting years for a reschedule with the covid backlog.

You also run the risk of the reschedule not being noted and you being marked as a no-show (albeit with a 30 day hold so it could be corrected).
Nevertheless, rescheduling is possible, but for something you have been waiting for, for 2 years, and that you were in the full knowledge may happen when you decided to travel, is it not worth hopping on a plane? Flights aren’t exactly expensive right now. Fly in the day before, fly out the day or week after if necessary.  
Doing it overseas is not an option for a civilian. 

My removal of conditions hell has been going on for SIX YEARS now, and I would give ANYTHING to have it all over with in April, as would many others.

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, mindthegap said:

My removal of conditions hell has been going on for SIX YEARS now, and I would give ANYTHING to have it all over with in April, as would many others.

6 years? What did you do to USCIS? Anyway, I hope you know that you're eligible for citizenship. Put that in. It will trigger someone to look into your file.

Additionally, you can involve a congressman or just refile a fresh. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
14 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

You don't chose the time. They will for you, so it is a gamble.

1 hour ago, Timona said:

6 years? What did you do to USCIS? Anyway, I hope you know that you're eligible for citizenship. Put that in. It will trigger someone to look into your file.

Additionally, you can involve a congressman or just refile a fresh. 

I did nothing except marry the wrong person - a narcissist with a nasty spiteful and vindictive streak, that lied to USCIS after we separated, in the full knowledge of what it would do. 

If you look at my timeline, I applied for my citizenship three years ago as soon as eligible and had an interview for that 2 years ago that was cancelled on the day without explanation. 
I’ve also had so many congressperson & senator enquiries I have lost count at this point, in addition to multiple ombudsman enquiries...

USCIS are accountable to no-one, except possibly a federal court, and even that is only in certain circumstances. 

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

I-751 Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Timeline
14 minutes ago, mindthegap said:

I did nothing except marry the wrong person - a narcissist with a nasty spiteful and vindictive streak, that lied to USCIS after we separated, in the full knowledge of what it would do. 

If you look at my timeline, I applied for my citizenship three years ago as soon as eligible and had an interview for that 2 years ago that was cancelled on the day without explanation. 
I’ve also had so many congressperson & senator enquiries I have lost count at this point, in addition to multiple ombudsman enquiries...

USCIS are accountable to no-one, except possibly a federal court, and even that is only in certain circumstances. 

That's awful. 

I thing you can get your local dailies involved. Someone here might have or told USCIS he was gonna and it worked. USCIS worked on his case. 

I was in the similar situation 2 weeks ago.

I requested rescheduling an interview prior to the interview day 3/4/2021. However, I received denial letter on 3/6/21 due to no show.

I had 2 options to resolve this issue. 

1. File motion to reopen; I have to pay application fee +  attorney 

2. Go in person to interview office, and speak with the supervisor asap

So I went in person whiling preparing for motion to reopen (I only have 30 days to file since denial letter was written)

Luckily, I get this resolved by submitting evidence for rescheduling and written response regards denial letter + an affidavit. 

I had went in person 2 times a week, just try to speak with the supervisor and submit docs. 

If you willing to risk denial of your case and potentially 1 - 2 years delay on your case, you could consider it. 

You do not choose the day for interview. It will become a bigger issue if you missed the second interview. GL

Timeline

Thank you everyone for the feedback! We are strongly leaning on showing up in person now at the April date, despite the friction.

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

Spoiler

Timeline
22 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

You can choose to request your appointment be rescheduled but you don't get to choose the revised interview date.  They can reschedule it rather quickly or they can reschedule it to a much later date.   NO, you cannot do this in a consulate overseas.  We were also overseas when we received our interview notice.  We decided to rebook our flights and attend the interview as it could end up being a very long time before we could get a revised interview date.  Our interview letter also stated that we had to be back in the USA 14 days prior to interview date if we were overseas.  Otherwise we could not attend the interview.  I would highly recommend getting back to the US and attend the interview.  When does your extension letter expire?

Thank you @gregcrs2, the 18 mo extension letter has already expired.... I read this is not a huge deal due to COVID but have you heard otherwise?

Spoiler

I-751 ROC application

Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, dunebuggy said:

Thank you @gregcrs2, the 18 mo extension letter has already expired.... I read this is not a huge deal due to COVID but have you heard otherwise?

I have not heard this.  Maybe some other VJ members can chime in.  But since the extension letter has expired, the airline may not even let you board your flight.  Each time we have flown international, the airlines have checked the extension letter when returning to the US at check-in and at the transit airport.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.