Simple123

I'm freakng out , please advise

31 posts in this topic

My wife an I were working with a mortgage agent over the phone for a house and the agent never asked me about my immigration status... he then sent us an application that we signed with my wife but a few days later while reading it...I found that he checked a box in front of my name saying "U.S Citizen" but I'm permanent resident only. then I called him and we fixed it . we fixed it a few days after signing so it is still not closed. my question is How I should answer the question " did you ever claimed to be a U.S citizen ? "

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Freaking out over? I see nothing there to warrant a freak. Move on with life. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

13 minutes ago, Simple123 said:

Freaking out because I'm worried USCIS might think I claimed to be a U.S citizen which never happened . this agent made it by himself and when I called him to fix it he said "sorry it happens all the time" 

If it was fixed, then it's no longer an issue and there's no need to freak out...? And you didn't claim to be a US citizen. The agent thought you were. Big difference. Chill.

12 minutes ago, EA and MK said:

Take a deep breath. You had no play in this error; it wasn't willful. You rectified the situation by advising your agent of the issue, and it's been fixed. It was a simple mistake, and fortunately that was fixed before it became a permanent record. Relax, don't freak out! 

Thanks . Since I fixed it a few days after signing how can I make sure this wrong information is not in any record ? The only thing I have is an email from the agent saying I fixed it

2 hours ago, Simple123 said:

My wife an I were working with a mortgage agent over the phone for a house and the agent never asked me about my immigration status... he then sent us an application that we signed with my wife but a few days later while reading it...I found that he checked a box in front of my name saying "U.S Citizen" but I'm permanent resident only. then I called him and we fixed it . we fixed it a few days after signing so it is still not closed. my question is How I should answer the question " did you ever claimed to be a U.S citizen ? "

Don't be!

Their application is just something internal and you didn't claim nothing. He never asked!

I don't know the company but mine for example, in their application, they ask if you are a Citizen or an Permanent resident.

1 hour ago, Simple123 said:

Thanks . Since I fixed it a few days after signing how can I make sure this wrong information is not in any record ? The only thing I have is an email from the agent saying I fixed it

Have you tried getting your agent to send you an updated copy? If not, demand to have the corrected copy sent to you.

7 hours ago, Simple123 said:

No worries. You never claimed to be. Someone assumed. Once you were aware had you not rectified it, then you would have been guilty of usurpation. As long as you fixed it and on top of that before the ball got rolling then there should be no issue and not even a need to bring it up. 

Keep it simple, like your username, immigration is only worse when you start to overthink everything... Get an updated copy, let it go and enjoy your life and the house with your wife.

Edited by lucardo3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Here you go, from the horse's mouth (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-k-chapter-2):

For an alien to be inadmissible based on false claim to U.S. citizenship, an officer must find all of the following elements:

• The alien made a representation of U.S. citizenship;

• The representation was false;[1] and

• The alien made the false representation for any purpose or benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) or any other federal or state law

I appreciate why you're worried, but you're totally fine. Some overzealous DMV worker requested a voter registration change when I changed my address on my license and almost gave me a heart attack, so I get it.

And from the same page:

Step 4

Determine whether alien timely retracted the false claim to U.S. citizenship.

Section E, Timely Retraction [8 USCIS-PM K.2(E)]

Edited by Mollie09

1 minute ago, Mollie09 said:

Here you go, from the horse's mouth (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-k-chapter-2):

For an alien to be inadmissible based on false claim to U.S. citizenship, an officer must find all of the following elements:

• The alien made a representation of U.S. citizenship;

• The representation was false;[1] and

• The alien made the false representation for any purpose or benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) or any other federal or state law

I appreciate why you're worried, but you're totally fine. Some overzealous DMV worker requested a voter registration change when I changed my address on my license and almost gave me a heart attack, so I get it.

The DMV are known to add people to the voter database even without asking. When we moved last year and I updated my DL I told her three times I’m not eligible to vote and she didn’t believe me. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.