Hartjholt

Difficulty of German working in America

15 posts in this topic

Hey there, 

I am in the US military and currently dating a foreign national in Germany. She has a masters in wine studies and a bachelors in business administration. I was wondering how difficult it would be for here to find work in the US, if even plausible at all - specifically utilizing one of her degrees. 

Also, if you have any experience or advice regarding taking her back to the US with me, and the process of that, any advice is welcome. 

33 minutes ago, Hartjholt said:

Hey there, 

I am in the US military and currently dating a foreign national in Germany. She has a masters in wine studies and a bachelors in business administration. I was wondering how difficult it would be for here to find work in the US, if even plausible at all - specifically utilizing one of her degrees. 

Also, if you have any experience or advice regarding taking her back to the US with me, and the process of that, any advice is welcome. 

Hey warfighter,

She has to have a visa in order to work here in the USA no matter what. As to you wanting to bring her to the USA to live can only be done by a work, fiance, or marriage visa. If she is a German or EU citizen then she can get a ESTA in order to travel to the USA as a tourist. So you must decide what you want to do first

37 minutes ago, Hartjholt said:

Also, if you have any experience or advice regarding taking her back to the US with me, and the process of that,

Best path is to marry her. After marriage file I-130 petition.

How many more years do you see yourself serving in the military? If after entering US with CR-1, she intends to join you at the foreign base on your official orders and also intend to return with you to the US when your tour ends she'll be eligible for expedited naturalization: https://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-for-military-family-members "Spouses of U.S. citizen service members who are (or will be) stationed outside the United States may be eligible for expedited naturalization in the U.S. under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)." "Declare in good faith upon naturalization an intent to reside abroad with your U.S. citizen spouse and to reside in the U.S. immediately upon your spouse’s termination of service abroad"

14 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Best path is to marry her. After marriage file I-130 petition.

How many more years do you see yourself serving in the military? If after entering US with CR-1, she intends to join you at the foreign base on your official orders and also intend to return with you to the US when your tour ends she'll be eligible for expedited naturalization: https://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-for-military-family-members "Spouses of U.S. citizen service members who are (or will be) stationed outside the United States may be eligible for expedited naturalization in the U.S. under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)." "Declare in good faith upon naturalization an intent to reside abroad with your U.S. citizen spouse and to reside in the U.S. immediately upon your spouse’s termination of service abroad"

Okay, so I marry her here in Germany, then file for the I-130 petition. How early should I marry her before leaving Germany?

I see myself in the military for 44 for months. What is CR-1?

Thanks for the detailed response.

Edited by Hartjholt

21 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Hey warfighter,

She has to have a visa in order to work here in the USA no matter what. As to you wanting to bring her to the USA to live can only be done by a work, fiance, or marriage visa. If she is a German or EU citizen then she can get a ESTA in order to travel to the USA as a tourist. So you must decide what you want to do first

Hey there, I'm also from North Carolina. Say hello to the fam for me!

I would like to get a marriage visa. How would I go about beginning one? 

27 minutes ago, Hartjholt said:

Get married and file an I-130/I-130A.

32 minutes ago, Hartjholt said:

How early should I marry her before leaving Germany?

the longer you wait the longer it takes

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Hartjholt said:

Hi

Best bet would be to start reading the guides on here, very informative.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

56 minutes ago, Hartjholt said:

Okay, so I marry her here in Germany, then file for the I-130 petition. How early should I marry her before leaving Germany?

I see myself in the military for 44 for months. What is CR-1?

Thanks for the detailed response.

CR1 - Conditional Immediate Relative 1 (spouse)

IR1 - Immediate Relative 1 (spouse)

If you two are ready to marry, then marry.  Marrying as soon as you can will allow you to be married beyond 2 years by the time she gets the spouse visa and will IR1 instead of CR1.  IR1 visa allows her to enter the US and get a 10 year green card instead of a 2 year temporary green card.

About 2 years before you are ready to move to the US, file I-130 for her.  If it gets approved early, you can delay the NVC stage of the process to be about 6-9 months or so before your planned move.  That will get her interview date scheduled at about 3-6 months before your move.  The visa will be valid for 6 months (from the date of her medical).

CR1/IR1 visa guide:

1 hour ago, Hartjholt said:

Where at in NC? I am born, raised, and now live back at here again working at a Army base in the state. Unfortunate for you I am a former Marine not a dirty soldier, or airman 🤣😋

Edited by Cyberfx1024

22 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

IR1 visa allows her to enter the US and get a 10 year green card instead of a 2 year temporary green card.

Note that those that get 2 year GC and right after go abroad on spouse's military orders (or other qualifying employment) can naturalize without doing ROC:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-4 "Spouses of U.S. citizens who are regularly stationed abroad under qualifying employment may be eligible to file for naturalization immediately after obtaining LPR status in the United States. Such spouses are not required to have any prior period of residence or specified period of physical presence within the United States in order to qualify for naturalization."

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OP

to the question of employment in wine industry ,  with her education she should have no problems

across our US there are many wineries from northern California to the Finger Lakes area in NY state and a large winery northeast of Atlanta (that hosts elaborate wedding venues)

and she will know the many and varied jobs associated with the industry of winery

to best help her with work here,  marry and do the CR1 visa so she can be employed as soon as the visa is stamped at POE

many foreigners are bored and homesick when the petitioner does a fiancee visa and the immigrant can not work for a lengthy extended time while you marry here and do the AOS for her to get the EAD card (to work) and advance parole

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You should also talk to your NCO, the military has a number of resources for soldiers that are marrying foreign spouses.  You may also be required to get permission to marry.

Good luck.

16 hours ago, Hartjholt said:

Hey there, 

I am German with German's degree - Bachelor and Master- Both in Business admin. and currently pursuing another Bachelor from one of US univ. 

I didn't have any issue with my BA Business to get a job here in the USA. However, I think it depends on where you are at. With wines degree I am not sure she would be able to do anything if she was down in FL for example. but she would be better off in Cali. once again I am not an expert. 

agree with other  that she will need visa or green card. 

ROC

- Mailed June 27,2020

- Delivered July 1, 2020

- SMS with Case Nr. SRC  and Check cashed July 8, 2020 

- NOA received July 20,2020- NOA dated July 14,2020

-Fingersprinting applied notification - Aug 10,2020

- Card being produced - Nov 2, 2020

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
22 hours ago, Hartjholt said:

Hey there, 

Have you tried contacting your commander directly about the process in bringing a spouse back to the US if you were to marry abroad? A lot of my fiance's coworkers and captains met their wives abroad and most went through their branch to have them help with immigrating steps. Since active duty marrying abroad happens quite often I'm sure they'll have the steps and resources ready for you there.

• 3 weeks later...

If you plan on getting married while you're still stationed in Germany you can even go the DCF route. It's still an option for military members. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.