carlovely

Department of State posted about K1 visa - what does this mean?

108 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Cheburashka34 said:

They updated it! It now says k1 visas are being given high priority!!

Screenshot_20200831-155121.jpg

Thank you. Thanks for being positive about the k1 visa 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SoSol said:

I want to be optimistic but it's very doubtful that they will start issuing them in travel restricted countries. Anyhow still good news us K filers. 

Yea unfortunately I don’t think it will override any of the bans

Timeline

K1 is not a banned visa. The travel area is banned. But they may still issue them for you, just suggest you travel through other countries and quarantine? Hopeful thinking!

14 minutes ago, Cheburashka34 said:

The travel area is banned. But they may still issue them for you, just suggest you travel through other countries and quarantine? Hopeful thinking!

The consulates in Schengen Area, UK, Ireland, mainland China, and Brazil are strictly following the relevant proclamations: "The Secretary of State shall implement this proclamation as it applies to visas pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may establish." How can K-1 applicants (that are subject to the relevant proclamations, which is most of them) guarantee to the consular officers that they'll first go to an unrestricted country for 14 days before attempting travel to the US?

Timeline
17 minutes ago, HRQX said:

The consulates in Schengen Area, UK, Ireland, mainland China, and Brazil are strictly following the relevant proclamations: "The Secretary of State shall implement this proclamation as it applies to visas pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may establish." How can K-1 applicants (that are subject to the relevant proclamations, which is most of them) guarantee to the consular officers that they'll first go to an unrestricted country for 14 days before attempting travel to the US?

Not sure what you want me to say? Just trying to spread positivity. It at least means after December 31st they will be given high priority. You could look at it with that respect. Before, no one had any notion they cared about the visa anymore

1 minute ago, Cheburashka34 said:

It at least means after December 31st they will be given high priority.

Reminder that the Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; mainland China; Iran; and Brazil proclamations are in effect indefinitely until the President ends them.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

The have since updated the website again to indicate the K visas are high priority.  I think this is very good news because many of the embassies are open and processing visas, just not K visas.  This indicates they will be higher priority.

Timeline
43 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Reminder that the Schengen Area; UK and Ireland; mainland China; Iran; and Brazil proclamations are in effect indefinitely until the President ends them.

Well that blows. I guess I'm lucky my fiance is in Russia

2 hours ago, Strawberrymermaid said:

But "high priority" seems subjective still.. what exactly is high priority?

I'm unsure as well, but at this point I am taking any news I can take. Honestly just the fact that they mentioned the K1 visa by its name at all makes me happy. I guess I'd rather have vague news about this specific visa than no news at all or vague news about ~maybe~ my visa like we had before. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, carlovely said:

I'm unsure as well, but at this point I am taking any news I can take. Honestly just the fact that they mentioned the K1 visa by its name at all makes me happy. I guess I'd rather have vague news about this specific visa than no news at all or vague news about ~maybe~ my visa like we had before. 

Very true! An acknowledgment of any kind is better than nothing- I just hate to get my hopes up lol ❤️❤️

Found love, thought I wanted this path, two years later realized my partner was not worth all the stress 😁

Just now, Strawberrymermaid said:

Very true! An acknowledgment of any kind is better than nothing- I just hate to get my hopes up lol ❤️❤️

Right!! I feel the same. I've been stuck in this super negative thinking loop but I have to keep reminding myself that it's all worth it and that I have to start seeing at least a tiny bit of good in anything. I'm taking these news as "good... but could be better" if that makes sense, haahaha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.