lucardo3

What is the Correct order after Naturalization?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, RunTheRoad said:

I am assuming, at this point, that the OP has already updated their SSN and DL with their GC status and is just seeking information on how to update with the naturalization status.

Green card is for LPR not citizens 

SS needs to be notified the person is not LPR but citizen now/ this is the last step we had to do for this whole process 

some DL are conditional / his must be as he asked when to do it

15 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Green card is for LPR not citizens 

SS needs to be notified the person is not LPR but citizen now/ this is the last step we had to do for this whole process 

some DL are conditional / his must be as he asked when to do it

Yes, my DL still conditional until 2023 but i want to update everything and be up to date as a citizen. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I still don’t understand what’s there to update at the DMV?   

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

Timeline
17 hours ago, lucardo3 said:

Hello,

My Journey is finally coming to an end and i started to gather some information as to what to do after getting my naturalization certificate. 

Things i am planning to do: 

Register to Vote,

Apply for Passport,

Update SSN records,

Update my Drivers License.

Giving the fact that some of those require my naturalization certificate itself, What would be the correct order to follow. I know there is no perfect order as everyone`s expectations are different but i`m just looking some guidance what others have done after being naturalized.

My plan: 

Voting: Mail in voter registration with copy of DL; (No certificate required) 

Passport:  Once Houston Acceptance Facility open, apply in person so they don’t keep the certificate. (Could also mail but I’m not in a rush) 

SSN:   Once office open apply in person.  There is no rush on this as this only maters once you collect benefits. 

DMV: nothing to update.  I have a valid REAL ID DL.

The order is dependent on what office opens first. 

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

33 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

I still don’t understand what’s there to update at the DMV?   

Your DMV record needs to be updated whenever there is a change in your immigration status. Your physical DL card may not reflect this, but the database changes need to be done. I updated mine from F1 to GC and will have to update again when I naturalize. I believe it is required by law. Not sure how having a Real ID changes any of this.

16 hours ago, Timona said:

Is she's already updated the two based on her CR/IR-1, then I see nothing to update upon naturalization. 

There is - she's notifying SSA that she's now a USC. That trickles down to when she applies for passport - it will show up that's she's a citizen under SSA records as well. So you saying there's nothing to update is wrong. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

1. Update your driver's license records and visit the Social Security office to update your card/status to 'citizen' when you feel it's safe to do so. In both cases you can take your Naturalization Certificate back home with you.

2. In many states, you can register to vote online,  even if you've recently been naturalized, but the FIRST TIME YOU VOTE you'll have to go in person (in my state, anyway) so they can match your photo ID (driver's license) with your name.

3. Leave the passport application for last, since you have to mail off your certificate. You'll get it back, but it might take a while.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Timeline
2 hours ago, RunTheRoad said:

Your DMV record needs to be updated whenever there is a change in your immigration status. Your physical DL card may not reflect this, but the database changes need to be done. I updated mine from F1 to GC and will have to update again when I naturalize. I believe it is required by law. Not sure how having a Real ID changes any of this.

This must be based on state. I don’t see any such requirement in Texas.  They don’t even let you “update” your file unless your renewing. 

ROC

AOS

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ortolan said:

1. Update your driver's license records and visit the Social Security office to update your card/status to 'citizen' when you feel it's safe to do so. In both cases you can take your Naturalization Certificate back home with you.

2. In many states, you can register to vote online,  even if you've recently been naturalized, but the FIRST TIME YOU VOTE you'll have to go in person (in my state, anyway) so they can match your photo ID (driver's license) with your name.

3. Leave the passport application for last, since you have to mail off your certificate. You'll get it back, but it might take a while.

Do they take your certificate if you apply for a passport  in person? 

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

Timeline
1 hour ago, milimelo said:

There is - she's notifying SSA that she's now a USC. That trickles down to when she applies for passport - it will show up that's she's a citizen under SSA records as well. So you saying there's nothing to update is wrong. 

You update SSA for social security benefits.  Nothing to do with passport, you technically don’t even need a SSN to get a passport. 

ROC

AOS

Here's the page that describes it:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/citizenship-evidence.html

You can submit a 'certified copy' as well.

Edited by Ortolan

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ortolan said:

Here's the page that describes it:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/citizenship-evidence.html

You can submit a 'certified copy' as well.

A “certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.“

You would have to get the “certified copy” from USCIS, it’s not simply a notarized copy.

I’m hoping if you apply in person they don’t take the certificate.    

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

13 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

A “certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.“

You would have to get the “certified copy” from USCIS, it’s not simply a notarized copy.

I’m hoping if you apply in person they don’t take the certificate.    

Where should we go, to apply in person? All passport offices are likely closed, except for emergency appointments.

7 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

Where should we go, to apply in person? All passport offices are likely closed, except for emergency appointments.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

Not looking good.

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.