lucardo3

What is the Correct order after Naturalization?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, RunTheRoad said:

I posted a link in one of my earlier comments that said you would need to submit the certificate at the time of application at the Passport Office. I am not sure if it will be returned to you after verification or whether they will hold on to it. 

They return the original certifcate of naturalization in a separate mailing from  the new passport 

a passport center like the office here in our main post office is only a place to apply

the application and supporting documents go to DC (on east coast)   for all the security checks ,  etc 

that being said this is the quote from the list of passport offices so, yes,  they keep the original at passport offices and send it back to you

Due to the unprecedented impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, at this time we are not able to provide a specific update on when you will receive your passport and supporting documents. We will offer processing times when we reach phase three of our reopening plan.

this site has a list of passport offices

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

They return the original certifcate of naturalization in a separate mailing from  the new passport 

So if you apply the actual passport office, not post office, they still take the document? I am aware they come back in separate mail from the passport if you apply via post office. 

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

6 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

So if you apply the actual passport office, not post office, they still take the document? I am aware they come back in separate mail from the passport if you apply via post office. 

19 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

that being said this is the quote from the list of passport offices so, yes,  they keep the original at passport offices and send it back to you

Answer is above already.🤔

Timeline
18 minutes ago, lucardo3 said:

Answer is above already.🤔

The poster said they applied at a post office.  I am talking about applying at one of the few official passport offices, the ones that can turn around an entire application in under 72 hours if it’s emergency.  One of the bellow

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

the link says nothing about taking a documents and no one has provided their personal account.

ROC

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) extended the deadline for REAL ID by one year until October 1, 2021. Beginning in October 2021, DHS will require customers to use a REAL ID to fly domestically. The most common REAL ID is a state-issued driver's license. A U.S. passport book and passport card are two of many alternative documents that customers can use to fly domestically if they do not have a state-issued REAL ID. 

Timeline
On 7/6/2020 at 9:10 AM, RunTheRoad said:

I posted a link in one of my earlier comments that said you would need to submit the certificate at the time of application at the Passport Office. I am not sure if it will be returned to you after verification or whether they will hold on to it. 

Passport Center, Post Office, they send you Certificate to the processing center, and return at a future date, via mail.

Timeline
On 7/6/2020 at 7:45 AM, JeanneAdil said:

no,  it has to offically be done at the SS office 

not automatic thru passport or IRS 

I should have added that when you go to update the DL ,  get the star on it that is required by October for domestic flights in the USA or to cross either of our borders/ that rule is coming fast / and when i did it, i asked "isn't a passport enough?  do i still need the star? "  and DMV officer said ,  "Yes, still need the star"  whether she was right i don't know 

Update Social Security With Your Citizenship Status

You should already have a Social Security number and card, because these are required to work in the U.S. When a lawful permanent resident (LPR) becomes a naturalized citizen, you must inform the Social Security Administration (SSA) of this change in status.Dec 31, 2018

SSA is the LEAST important in todays circumstances.

It IS important if you want to take your benefits with you to another country without haven to come back every year for a specific amount of time.

Timeline
27 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Passport Center, Post Office, they send you Certificate to the processing center, and return at a future date, via mail.

I found the answer on FT, they don’t mail anything to you if you go to passport agency office.   They actually make the passport at the office and you pick it up, sometimes you get it all back in a few hours including the new passport but it’s normally 2 days later. 

I’ll wait for this service to restart.

Also everyone on FT was highly advising against renewing passport due to the 3 million plus backlog, also some people’s applications have been lost.   

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

Timeline
23 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

SSA is the LEAST important in todays circumstances.

It IS important if you want to take your benefits with you to another country without haven to come back every year for a specific amount of time.

Agreed, not sure why people stressing about this. I’ll probably do this next year. 

ROC

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

one thing i forgot to do was the bank

i had added him with a ITIN and never changed it to SS #

he just got the renewal card in the mail and when i went on the phone to activate it ,  i found out i had forgotten to do this

so, another step to finish

18 hours ago, Henry357 said:

I found the answer on FT, they don’t mail anything to you if you go to passport agency office.   They actually make the passport at the office and you pick it up, sometimes you get it all back in a few hours including the new passport but it’s normally 2 days later. 

I’ll wait for this service to restart.

Also everyone on FT was highly advising against renewing passport due to the 3 million plus backlog, also some people’s applications have been lost.   

What is FT? Also, I am not too sure if that is what they do, if you go to the Passport office. I've read elsewhere in this forum that they mail it back to you, even if you go to the Passport Office. I would be glad if this wasn't the case, because there is this very real fear that your papers may get buried somewhere amidst all the COVID backlog and it would take ages to retrieve.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

What is FT? Also, I am not too sure if that is what they do, if you go to the Passport office. I've read elsewhere in this forum that they mail it back to you, even if you go to the Passport Office. I would be glad if this wasn't the case, because there is this very real fear that your papers may get buried somewhere amidst all the COVID backlog and it would take ages to retrieve.

Flyertalk, it’s a forum full of road warriors that travel international weekly.  

That is exactly what they do, how else do you do a same day service. They are still doing this for emergency travel; (left or death) however, in person expedited is suspended.   I’ll wait for it to restart. 

A lot of people are also flying out of the country and applying at embassies. 

ROC

AOS

Timeline
53 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

Here is a blog of someone doing it

https://milestomemories.com/how-to-get-a-same-day-passport/

The person applied at 11 AM and has the passport in hand at 4 PM. Worth the wait and money imo. 

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.