lucardo3

What is the Correct order after Naturalization?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
2 hours ago, milimelo said:

There is - she's notifying SSA that she's now a USC. That trickles down to when she applies for passport - it will show up that's she's a citizen under SSA records as well. So you saying there's nothing to update is wrong. 

Understood. If you follow the trail, I was thinking she's referring to removal of that "Not authorized for work without......". Someone came in and noted that she was probably referring to updating SS office that she's a citizen and clarified to me that it is one of the to-do things after naturalization. I did not know about that as I am not yet naturalized. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

4 minutes ago, Timona said:

Understood. If you follow the trail, I was thinking she's referring to removal of that "Not authorized for work without......". Someone came in and noted that she was probably referring to updating SS office that she's a citizen and clarified to me that it is one of the to-do things after naturalization. I did not know about that as I am not yet naturalized. 

I intent to update everything to citizen status including SSN- Driver`s License etc. I`m a male by the way :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

Where should we go, to apply in person? All passport offices are likely closed, except for emergency appointments.

I will wait. 

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

41 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

Do they take your certificate if you apply for a passport  in person? 

I believe so. It says here that you would need to submit either the original or a certified physical copy. I do not know whether they will return the original to you after verification or if you have to wait for it to be returned through mail. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/apply-in-person.html

1 hour ago, Henry357 said:

A “certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.“

You would have to get the “certified copy” from USCIS, it’s not simply a notarized copy.

I’m hoping if you apply in person they don’t take the certificate.    

Yep. It has to be a certified copy from USCIS. I didn't say "notarized," I said "certified."  The only place that can give you a 'certified' copy is the legitimate issuer.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
3 hours ago, milimelo said:

There is - she's notifying SSA that she's now a USC. That trickles down to when she applies for passport - it will show up that's she's a citizen under SSA records as well. So you saying there's nothing to update is wrong. 

no,  it has to offically be done at the SS office 

not automatic thru passport or IRS 

I should have added that when you go to update the DL ,  get the star on it that is required by October for domestic flights in the USA or to cross either of our borders/ that rule is coming fast / and when i did it, i asked "isn't a passport enough?  do i still need the star? "  and DMV officer said ,  "Yes, still need the star"  whether she was right i don't know 

Update Social Security With Your Citizenship Status

You should already have a Social Security number and card, because these are required to work in the U.S. When a lawful permanent resident (LPR) becomes a naturalized citizen, you must inform the Social Security Administration (SSA) of this change in status.Dec 31, 2018

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Ortolan said:

Yep. It has to be a certified copy from USCIS. I didn't say "notarized," I said "certified."  The only place that can give you a 'certified' copy is the legitimate issuer.

Pointless then because I’m not applying for. Certified copy.   All I want to know is if they give you the doc back if I apply in person?

Edited by Henry357

ROC

AOS

Timeline
16 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

no,  it has to offically be done at the SS office 

not automatic thru passport or IRS 

I should have added that when you go to update the DL ,  get the star on it that is required by October for domestic flights in the USA or to cross either of our borders/ that rule is coming fast / and when i did it, i asked "isn't a passport enough?  do i still need the star? "  and DMV officer said ,  "Yes, still need the star"  whether she was right i don't know 

Update Social Security With Your Citizenship Status

You should already have a Social Security number and card, because these are required to work in the U.S. When a lawful permanent resident (LPR) becomes a naturalized citizen, you must inform the Social Security Administration (SSA) of this change in status.Dec 31, 2018

Mine has a star with just LPR. There is still no way in Texas to update your “status” without applying for a new DL and paying a fee.   Seems pointless

ROC

AOS

Timeline
2 hours ago, Henry357 said:

Do they take your certificate if you apply for a passport  in person? 

when we applied in person at the post office ,  they kept the original naturalization certificate

they returned this in a separate manila enveloped from the new passport /they do not fold the naturalization paper so we framed Adil's 

Actually DC (where his was issued ) sent 3 separate mailings back  and i can not remember what the 3rd item was 

i had his for registering to vote but the lady never asked to see it

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

Mine has a star with just LPR. There is still no way in Texas to update your “status” without applying for a new DL and paying a fee.   Seems pointless

i had just renewed mine and then the star business was announced

to get the star i had to pay the whole fee $24 in TN

18 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

when we applied in person at the post office ,  they kept the original naturalization certificate

they returned this in a separate manila enveloped from the new passport /they do not fold the naturalization paper so we framed Adil's 

Actually DC (where his was issued ) sent 3 separate mailings back  and i can not remember what the 3rd item was 

i had his for registering to vote but the lady never asked to see it

So, technically, it doesn't help much going in person, since all Passport Offices are closed. Might as well get it done at the local Post Office, since they are at least open. Any delays should hopefully square out.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

So, technically, it doesn't help much going in person, since all Passport Offices are closed. Might as well get it done at the local Post Office, since they are at least open. Any delays should hopefully square out.

Do they take the certificate at the passport office too?  Or just the post office? 

I want to know if it’s worth waiting for the passport office to open. 

ROC

AOS

Timeline

so,  we wait because of  the following

As of Wednesday, July 1, a total of 16 passport agencies and centers are in phase one of our three-phase reopening plan. During phase one, we are limiting appointments to customers who must travel internationally in the next 72 hours due to a life-or-death emergency. Go to our Passport Agency and Center page for more information.

You can apply at an acceptance facility or renew by mail now, but unless you have a life-or-death emergency, you will experience delays before receiving your passport and the return of your citizenship documents such as previous passports, and birth and naturalization certificates.

13 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

Do they take the certificate at the passport office too?  Or just the post office? 

I want to know if it’s worth waiting for the passport office to open. 

I posted a link in one of my earlier comments that said you would need to submit the certificate at the time of application at the Passport Office. I am not sure if it will be returned to you after verification or whether they will hold on to it. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

I posted a link in one of my earlier comments that said you would need to submit the certificate at the time of application at the Passport Office. I am not sure if it will be returned to you after verification or whether they will hold on to it. 

And that’s what I’m trying to find out.. 

ROC

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.