lucardo3

What is the Correct order after Naturalization?

62 posts in this topic

Hello,

My Journey is finally coming to an end and i started to gather some information as to what to do after getting my naturalization certificate. 

Things i am planning to do: 

Register to Vote,

Apply for Passport,

Update SSN records,

Update my Drivers License.

Giving the fact that some of those require my naturalization certificate itself, What would be the correct order to follow. I know there is no perfect order as everyone`s expectations are different but i`m just looking some guidance what others have done after being naturalized.

Edited by lucardo3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

update the driver's license (1 day to do this)

then go register to vote (they will make a copy)

go to the post office and apply for passport (that is the only place that needs to send in the original )

when all this is done and the documents come back hit the SS office which is closed now anyway 

before you do any of the above   make a copy of it

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You can update your SSN and Driver's license with your current GC. I did that long ago with my CR-1. You don't need to wait for naturalization to do that.

Register to vote and apply for PP requires naturalization.  So ideally, you'll have to wait till you're naturalized

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

2 minutes ago, Timona said:

You can update your SSN and Driver's license with your current GC. I did that long ago with my CR-1. You don't need to wait for naturalization to do that.

Register to vote and apply for PP requires naturalization.  So ideally, you'll have to wait till you're naturalized

I am not sure if this is even possible. The GC gets taken away during naturalization and is practically invalid after the oath ceremony. (someone please correct me if I got this wrong).  OP would need to update only with Naturalization Cert. 

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

update the driver's license (1 day to do this)

then go register to vote (they will make a copy)

go to the post office and apply for passport (that is the only place that needs to send in the original )

when all this is done and the documents come back hit the SS office which is closed now anyway 

before you do any of the above   make a copy of it

@Jeanne Adil, do we need to wait for a few days before hitting the DMV or can we go right after the ceremony? I've read that one needs to wait at least ten days before applying for the passport. Does the DMV need a similar waiting period?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

I am not sure if this is even possible. The GC gets taken away during naturalization and is practically invalid after the oath ceremony. (someone please correct me if I got this wrong).  OP would need to update only with Naturalization Cert. 

Yes the GC gets taken away but not your SSN nor ID. Your SSN remains the same. So if you have that .."Not authorized to work without DHS" written across it, you can remove it with current GC.

DMV and USCIS are 2 separate entities.  There's no way USCIS is going to take your ID, keep it and ask you to apply for a new one because you've been naturalized.

I was a student and had that notorious DHS wording on my SSN. As soon as I got my CR-1, I went to SS office and removed it. Additionally, as student, Texas DMV issues you a driver's license that expires at the same time as your I-94. As soon as I got my CR-1, I went to renew/ update my license and got another. 

So yes, you don't need to be naturalized to update your SSN nor Driver's license. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I didn't update my DL (do you mean Real ID or extend the validity?), but I registered to vote on my way out of the ceremony. Then applied for a passport a week or so later, and finally went to the SS office a few months later (not ideal, but I didn't have a new job or anything).

FYI for the people earlier in the thread, you need to go to the SS office in person after you naturalize to show them the certificate (or your passport) for them to update your citizenship status. Has nothing to do with the wording on the card, which can be removed once you have a green card.

6 minutes ago, Timona said:

Yes the GC gets taken away but not your SSN nor ID. Your SSN remains the same. So if you have that .."Not authorized to work without DHS" written across it, you can remove it with current GC.

DMV and USCIS are 2 separate entities.  There's no way USCIS is going to take your ID, keep it and ask you to apply for a new one because you've been naturalized.

I was a student and had that notorious DHS wording on my SSN. As soon as I got my CR-1, I went to SS office and removed it. Additionally, as student, Texas DMV issues you a driver's license that expires at the same time as your I-94. As soon as I got my CR-1, I went to renew/ update my license and got another. 

So yes, you don't need to be naturalized to update your SSN nor Driver's license. 

I am assuming, at this point, that the OP has already updated their SSN and DL with their GC status and is just seeking information on how to update with the naturalization status.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, RunTheRoad said:

I am assuming, at this point, that the OP has already updated their SSN and DL with their GC status and is just seeking information on how to update with the naturalization status.

Is she's already updated the two based on her CR/IR-1, then I see nothing to update upon naturalization. 

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

I didn't update my DL (do you mean Real ID or extend the validity?), but I registered to vote on my way out of the ceremony. Then applied for a passport a week or so later, and finally went to the SS office a few months later (not ideal, but I didn't have a new job or anything).

FYI for the people earlier in the thread, you need to go to the SS office in person after you naturalize to show them the certificate (or your passport) for them to update your citizenship status. Has nothing to do with the wording on the card, which can be removed once you have a green card.

Is this stated on things to do after naturalization? I haven't naturalized, so I don't know. 

You can register to vote right after the oath ceremony. There should be stands for registration when you exit the hall.

I would update SSN records before getting the passport. And you might not be able to get a passport now, as most offices are just processing emergency applications. 

Regarding driver license, unless you need to renew or get a real ID driver license, there is nothing to update. 

Just now, Timona said:

Is this stated on things to do after naturalization? I haven't naturalized, so I don't know. 

Yes, it is. 

31 minutes ago, Timona said:

Is she's already updated the two based on her CR/IR-1, then I see nothing to update upon naturalization. 

31 minutes ago, Timona said:

Wrong. You still need to update these after naturalization.

28 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You can register to vote right after the oath ceremony. There should be stands for registration when you exit the hall.

I would update SSN records before getting the passport. And you might not be able to get a passport now, as most offices are just processing emergency applications. 

Regarding driver license, unless you need to renew or get a real ID driver license, there is nothing to update. 

Yes, it is. 

Thanks for the useful info about the voting registration stands. Do you know if they would also be giving out applications for voter registration? Or do we need to download from elsewhere?

Just now, RunTheRoad said:

Thanks for the useful info about the voting registration stands. Do you know if they would also be giving out applications for voter registration? Or do we need to download from elsewhere?

They hand you everything that is needed to register. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, RunTheRoad said:

@Jeanne Adil, do we need to wait for a few days before hitting the DMV or can we go right after the ceremony? I've read that one needs to wait at least ten days before applying for the passport. Does the DMV need a similar waiting period?

You can take the document and go as fast as you want to   DMV/ this is gonna depend on time of the ceremony 

at our ceremony there were applications given out to mail to register to vote as we did it in a courthouse and was very formal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.