thongho2910

Virtual Ceremony is now coming?

123 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Ok, how about this.... We submitted my wife's N400 earlier this year so that she can be naturalized by the election. So I understand where you are coming from but in reality this won't stop the ceremonies at all. This will just delay them a couple months at most. 

A couple of months? How can you be sure of that?  What if they tell you it won't be possible to held them until the end of the year?

1 minute ago, JORGEM76 said:

A couple of months? How can you be sure of that?  What if they tell you it won't be possible to held them until the end of the year?

I seriously doubt that to be the case tbh with you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If they can work out determining people’s identities, work through anything that would now make them ineligible oath ceremony, etc., then virtual oaths should work.  I know other countries do it, but hey, we are talking about USCIS here.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, JORGEM76 said:

The President said the cases of Covid 19 would be soon back to zero last February. And look at us now. Corona virus has changed everything we were used to. 

Ok and? That was based off of bad reporting by the WHO

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Even if they would be able to return to having the ceremonies it would be with people wearing masks so wouldn't verifying peoples identity be a problem? 

Off Topic but I wonder if CBP is making travelers remove their masks at the border?

Edited by designguy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think it's an amazing idea. Changing times call for changing ways we do things. Ceremonies are exactly what it is : ceremonial.

No need holding up people's citizenships just because of a ceremony.

~AOS : 09/11/2014 - 2 YR Green card received!.

~ROC 07/13/2017 - 10 YR Green card received!.

~N-400 : 10/28/2020 - N400 Interview & Approval/Oath Ceremony/US Citizen!

More Importantly, I am a proud Anti-Fascist!

1 hour ago, designguy said:

Off Topic but I wonder if CBP is making travelers remove their masks at the border?

Yes, travelers must remove their masks when facing CBP officers: https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/us-mexico-border-agents-revoke-san-diego-commuters-sentri-pass-over-mask-dispute/509-292ae514-11a4-4303-a26c-e0aa41f225f7

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
19 hours ago, NotMoreForms said:

Each person is different, but for me I can't see any reason why I could not provide the recent history details and swear the oath at the end of the interview (even if not approved at that stage), then simply get the certificate in the mail.  I don't see any benefit of sitting around for hours with a thousand strangers just to have a ceremony.

it isn't just a ceremony. or just an interview 

the officer at your interview can not swear you in / they are not judges

you must take the oath (done together with many others ,  yes)  before a Federal judge / this is promising your loyality to the US and there are many responsibilties (serving in military if called for those subject to military conscription, etc)  that come with citizenship and many rewards (like traveling to many countries without a visa,   voting, etc)

14 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

it isn't just a ceremony. or just an interview 

the officer at your interview can not swear you in / they are not judges

you must take the oath (done together with many others ,  yes)  before a Federal judge / this is promising your loyality to the US and there are many responsibilties (serving in military if called for those subject to military conscription, etc)  that come with citizenship and many rewards (like traveling to many countries without a visa,   voting, etc)

There is no requirement to provide the oath to a judge. Immigration officials are permitted administer the oath...they do so all the time for other benefits. The USCIS policy manual explicitly allows many of them to do the naturalization oath.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-2

B. Authority to Administer the Oath

The Secretary of Homeland Security has the authority to administer the Oath and may delegate the authority to other officials within DHS and to other employees of the United States. [3] 

The Secretary of Homeland Security has, through the Director of USCIS, delegated the authority to administer the Oath during an administrative naturalization ceremony to certain USCIS officials who can successively re-delegate the authority within their chains of command. [4] For example, the Director delegated this authority to the Deputy Director, District Directors, and Field Office Directors. Field Office Directors may re-delegate the authority by way of a delegation memorandum to other employees within their chains of command, such as supervisory immigration services officers.

In addition, immigration judges may also administer the Oath in administrative ceremonies. During judicial naturalization ceremonies, the judge in the district of proper jurisdiction has exclusive authority to administer the Oath. 

Edit: Note that judicial oaths are not the "normal" ones. That's for special circumstances only (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-6)

Administrative ceremonies are the ones people generally go through (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-5), which do not require a judge to administer the oath.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
19 hours ago, JORGEM76 said:

Truth being anyone that is scheduled for an interview late in 2020 like August and on,  will not have time to do the oath and register to vote /  here in Tn last day to register is October 4th with elections November 2nd.

Normal waiting time from interview to oath is state and number of people dependent.  ours happened in a little over 2 months from interview to oath but many wait several months

I am sure both parties want and will push for these oath ceremonies to go on as fast as possible for the ones that have been approved as they both seek voters

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

There is no requirement to provide the oath to a judge. Immigration officials are permitted administer the oath...they do so all the time for other benefits. The USCIS policy manual explicitly allows many of them to do the naturalization oath.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-2

Edit: Note that judicial oaths are not the "normal" ones. That's for special circumstances only (https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-j-chapter-6)

Sorry our letter from USCIS to say he was approved said the oath had to be administered by a federal judge and gave us a TN eastern court calendar site to check the oath schedule 

so,  i just went by the letter

sorry,  i do not mean to say wrong

I just think the best approach is the interviewing officer also get the authorization from their senior officers to administer the oath right at the end of the interview the same day! two birds and one stone! the interviews also can be conducted in person with a glass or plastic shield separating the interviewer and the applicant. 

Edited by Thelord

2 hours ago, Thelord said:

I just think the best approach is the interviewing officer also get the authorization from their senior officers to administer the oath right at the end of the interview the same day!

I think that's how they do it for N-600K children aged between 14 to 18 at their interview. To qualify for N-600K the child must regularly reside outside the US. In their case, it's simpler to do it at the interview then later.

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.